home

Author Topic: The Barren Hills- UK-Regional Organisation  (Read 43359 times)

Offline Tostig

• Members
The Barren Hills- UK-Regional Organisation
« on: May 09, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »
8) The Barren Hills

- Right-Middle of the Map
     - Used to be called the 'Green Hills' as they weren't always blasted
     - Legend tells that Morrslieb (the moon) spotted the once oasis and hated it (cause aparantly the moon is evil) and horked down on it. Whatever it horked was like radiation and covered the area affecting every living thing. Caused green mists which caused mutations etc. (obviously it was Warpstone)
     - A crusade was launched and everything was purged, but it must still be watched because of 'the things that come in the night.'
     Map-Refferenced Points - 1 Village (Egondorf), 1 Inn (The Bitter Moon), 1 Watchtower (The Tower of Vigilance), 1 Ruined Fort (Unknown), 1 Stone Circle (Marchen's Henge), 1 Orc Camp (Unknown).

UK Chain of command:
          Commander: Veldemere
               Sub-Commander: Tostig
               Sub-Commander: Clausewitz

Orders for Week 3:
Egondorf troops it is time to start building roads to connect Egondorf to the Bitter Moon and the Tower of Vigilance, all troops fighting in these locations should make note that we are not just cutting roads through the woods but also clearing both sides of the road to a depth of half a bowshot. This is to reduce the ambushes on our troops, we would have clear shots at any opponent before they reach us. The citizens of Egondorf have already agreed to provide able bodies to cut the trees if we provide troops to defend them.

I am still unsure as to the validity of the GDAs plans round Tor Thana and noted with interest that despite so many races apparently fighting there it did not get a mention that I saw. In fact I was horrified when I read that the Druchii killed or caught an entire generation of the citizens of Egondorf! How did they manage this, they finished 13th in the region and got this fluff! I would suggest it was better to report that the Dark Elves got into Egondorf and got wiped out by a vastly superior Empire force. It is for this reason I say we forget Tor Thana and any invented magic items and concentrate on what we need to do.

Clausewitz if you can take your battalion and your new charge is to find any information on the Crown, as a sub-order send pigeons back to Egondorf with any information you find on enemy movement (I know you have only recently recieved your last bilet but at the moment I think it is a dead horse).
To this end if people can mention in their battle reports that they found the enemy based on information provided by Carl von Clausewitz, hopefully GW will note this and accept that we are not just sitting around defending ourselves we are active!

Any fights you have against Druchii make it clear we are recapturing our captured Empire citizens, if we all put this they will have to take note and we can go some way to righting this slight.

>>>>>>>>>>>The Map<<<<<<<<<<
Including:
  • 1) The Bitter Moon (an Inn)
    The Bitter Moon stands in the centre of a wide area of cleared forest, for all manner of blasphemous creatures are known to haunt the lands hereabouts. Yet, with each year the undergrowth seeks to reclaim the land, and it is only the efforts of the Bitter Moon's landlord (who hires labourers to fell the ever-encroaching woods) that darkness is kept back. The landlord knows that should he ever run out of funds to pay for the annual clearing, the Bitter Moon would be swallowed by the forests, and the creatures would get him. Some say he is a bit obsessive in this matter, but those who have seen the glowering eyes shining beneath the boughs know otherwise.
  • 2) Egondorf (a small village)
    Egondorf sits closer to the Barren Hills than its inhabitants would wish, and as such it comes under frequent attack by twisted and malformed things from the hills. Fortunately for Egondorf, it is home to the Witchhunter Walter von Khan, a man in equal parts celebrated and feared throughout the region. Von Khan in a veteran of his calling, having served for decades in Altdorf, he has returned to his home village in the hour of its greatest need to defeat once and for all those who would prey upon it.
  • 3) Marchen's Henge (a stone circle)
    Marchen's Henge was a large circle of standing stones, though it has long since fallen into ruin, many stones lying toppled or smashed. Though legend states the people of Sigmar erected the henge, it appears to be an object of particular loathing from various other quarters. Each year, the stones are desecrated more with crude, blasphemous runes daubed across their every surface by unknown followers of Ruinous Powers. The local militias have on many occasions sought to catch the perpetrators in the act of desecration so that they confront the followers and once and for all end their evil deeds.
  • 4) The Giant's Tump
    Before tragedy befell the Green Hills, this feature now known as the "Giant's Tump" was a heavily wooded, flat topped hill. Once stripped of the verdant woodland by Morrsleib's spite, it was revealed that the hill had once stood tall and proud, but had, in some fashion, lost its peak, the remains of which were scattered all about. Academics from Altdorf and Nuln have theorised that the hill must have been the site of a battle between two huge adversaries, and so the legend has grown in telling. It is now said that the peak of the hill was shorn off in a single swipe of a giant's club, and that at any time, the titanic adversaries might return to conclude their duel, and, in all likelihood, flatten the entire range in the process.
  • 5) The Ruins of Tor Thana
    Though never ratified by the Imperial College of Cartographers, a great number of maps of the Great Forest make reference to the site of a ruined Elven city in the western spur of the Barren Hills. Ever since the Green Hills became the Barrel hills, however, very few have visited the site, for the foul beasts that plague the entire range make travel there hazardous in the extreme. A great number of myths and legends surround the ruins, for the valley they occupy was once the green heart of the forested hills. Once such legend suggest that life still lingers within the ruins, and the fey powers of the Elven folk might one day repair the hills of Morrsleib's spite.
  • 6) The Tower of Vigilance (an Empire Watchtower)
    The Tower of Viligance has stood for many centuries, maintained painstakingly by its inhabitants and constant fortified from any possible assault. It is so well protected in fact that it was one of the structures to survive Morrslieb's spite when it rained down upon the region. It's occupants are an obscure order of Sigmarite monks who keep watch over the locale. Though they maintain little contact with any outsiders, it is said that the monks await the return of Sigmar, when they will go out into the land and aid him in the expelling of the servants of evil once and for all.
  • 7) An un-named Orc camp
    Orcs are not prolific in the forest, but some tribes make their home here. These bands of brutes wonder from place to place, camping and warring before moving on.
  • 8) An un-named abandoned fort
    Peace as well as war can take their toll on fortifications, and many forts find themselves on old unused roads, or watching for a passed threat. These are abandoned and left for the trees.

Ontop of this there are also a few unnamed rivers, lots of forest, a few hills and plains.

This'll be a hotly contested region, and in my opinion we ought to limit ourselves to a few places. It seems to me that our prioties should be capturing and holding the western half - The Tower of Vigilance (6), Egondorf (2) and The Bitter Moon (1). Take, fortify, defend.

The Orc's plan appears to be to send night goblins against the Bitter Moon, but spend most of their Orcish forces laying siege to Egondorf, if not actually bothering to capture it. Our plans should therefore revolve around defending these points rather than scrambling off to hunt for the crown, and once we have drawn the destructive force of the greenskins into a siege against our cannon, we can send re-enforcements from the Tower. The Dwarfs might help us with the Inn, but it's unlikely. the Orcs intend to go around destroying the forests and desecrating holy places like Marchen's, which should incur the wrath of the Wood Elves. It's also worth noting that the Orcs intend to take control of the river. Can any Stirlanders resist them? They also have re-enforcements from the Chaos Dwarfs, and mentioning them could help Warhammer's most beleaguered of sides!

The Dwarfs, and their Ogre allies, seem to be intent on founding a new Karak on the Giant's Tump. Since there isn't a consensus that we should be fighting the Dwarfs, whether or not to challenge them is the choice of individual generals.

The Skaven seem intent on launching a clandestine campaign helping the Empire. Their plan is to help Karl Franz reclaim the crown, and then to have it turn him insane. Whether or not you agree with this, all out warfare with the rat men might not be in our best interests. In particular they suggest mentioning;- Rumours of Skaven striking a deal to forge a false Crown, mysterious assassinations of empire religious leaders and witch-hunters on the move to hunt down reports of humans striking deals with skaven.

The High and Dark Elves are active. Things you might notice include;- disturbances in the Winds of Magic, bright lights, a rebellion and conflict between Druchii (Dark Elves) and Asur (High Elves), a dragon overhead, Elven ship sightings - "one ship, of the Stirland river patrol was attacked and sunk. No survivors, but one huntsman was in the nearby forest, and reported back to the army.", a fallen Hunter of Sigmar named "Wholfgang", and high Elves intent on taking Tor Thana.

In conclusion then:
Hold the western side of the map, with the Tower of Vigilance, the Bitter Moon and Egondorf. Only when we have these secure should we think about pushing out from our base. Turtle it!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 11:24:54 AM by Tostig »

Offline General Romanov

• Members
Re: UK - The Barren Hills (8)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 03:44:44 PM »
A sound plan that gives us some tactical flexability later on, I agree with the plan.
For Sigmar, For the Empire, For Wissenland!

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 10:36:54 PM »
The asur are going to go for Tor Thana, so we might get some help here. Should I ask them what their plans are in the region?
cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...

Offline General Romanov

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 10:53:41 PM »
"If you know both yourself and your enemy, you will come out of one hundred battles with one hundred victories."

Though the Asur are not our enemies, it would be...unwise...to not know the intentions of our allies. Ask away in my opinion.

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 10:06:31 AM »
I agree with holding a firm line in the West, to try and minimise the conflict there. The only way we can realistically hold the area is to divide our force to a degree (as Teclis ordered in the conflict against Chaos)the land can only provide for a certain size of standing army, we garrison less mobile heavier units basing in the West. I then suggest we send out 2 expeditionary forces. The larger principal force to the unnamed tower with a view to establishing an eastern garrison. This looks like it is on mountains so it should minimise beastman influence but it also looks like the ideal place for the Dwarves to set up garrison which must be prevented.
The smaller expeditionary force should look into the Ruins of Tor Thana, these seem very fluffy and are obviously fairly magical, if the High Elves want to investigate I have little problem with this from an archaeological point of view. But we should get there first to look for the crown.

To me they seem to be the first 3 things we should do IMHumbleO.
Veldemere, Elector Count of Solland (Elect)
Quote from: wissenlander
  I'm fine with Veldemere and his retinue of disgruntled's

Offline Veldemere

• Members
The Barren Hills- UK-Regional Organisation
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 02:43:33 PM »
Ok UK generals lets open up the debate if you have read Jeroks mission statement lets consider how we are to organise and prioritise our objectives. And most importantly lets spell organisation our way!

edit- Jerok would you be able to change the title of this thread to the one above as it makes the forum easier to read. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 02:52:19 PM by Veldemere »

Offline clausewitz

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 05:00:02 PM »
Veldemere, your summary matches my idea of what we should be doing.

I could suggest a few more details.

Make the village of Egondorf the primary base of operations.
  • Situated to the west where our armies might arrive.
  • As the largest Empire settlement in the area it is incumbent upon us military commanders to provide protection to Imperial citizens.
  • Make use of local infrastructure.  The town has the capacity to billet troops and will have barns/store houses/etc that can be commandeered for supply dumps.

Expedition to Tor Thana
I suggest that we first make the Tower of Vigilance a base of operations.  As the ruins are "hard to find", it makes sense to have somewhere to base armies searching the area.
I fought in the NC war.. and all I got was this lousy sig...

Offline Tostig

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 05:15:10 PM »
Ok, so our mission statement is:
1) Defend the Empire - Our group was raised Primarily to Defend the Empire
     a) We are to choose sites to take as a heavily fortified position in each Region. Everyone in the region posts this as being the HQ and it being constantly defended and fortified.
     b) Branching Out to Secondary Positions, we are clearing the forest from around these and the Roads.
2) Allies - THe Empire needs her friends, and so we will post as few battles as possible against Dwarfs and HE/WE. While we shall currently not have a formal alliance, we acknowledge the Empires need
     a) For posting purposes, including things like Allying with Dwarfs in Doubles battles etc. along with mentions of specific forces working together (friend's armies) would suit nicely.
3. Purge the Unclean - The Great Forest is a Haven to Evil, Burn It
     a) We have recieved orders to Purge any area which is deemed unclean by two or more Priests of an sect. As such doing scenarios where you are attacking work fine, including rules for torching stuff is better.
My emphasis.

What comes apparent from this is that we should start off with an aggressive defence, most notably by fortifying areas. On the other hand you indicate that we ought to spread out our forces and investigate the ruins. However I would say that since this region will be heavily fought over a solid defence is more important, at least in the opening week or so, after which (if we have some breathing space) we’ll be able to justify an expansion eastwards to the unnamed Tower more easily in fluff terms.

Secondly, I think you over-estimate both the number of troops we’ll have at our disposal, as well as our need to keep them resupplied in game terms. We’re ought to be more worried about Wood Elf ambushes and Orc assaults than food. With the exception of the Inn (which I can see developing into an Eastern Front style block hour very readily), Egondorf and the Tower of Vigilance ought to have smithies, wells, storehouses and the like. With a bit of foraging they should be able to support sizable forces. If we’re worried about supporting that many, we can build roads to import materials and supplies from the surrounding areas, and have well armed convoys of caravans. Diluting our forces at the start of a campaign seems like a bad idea to me.

I’m not necessarily against expansion, however I just feel that starting off with we ought to establish a solid presence to build from as the campaign progresses. Once we’re secure in the east we can start thinking about wandering off in search of Elven ruins or gigantic Tumps ;)

How about:
  • 1. Defend our three western outposts. Fortify Egondorf, the Bitter Moon and the tower.
  • 2. Build a road connecting Egondorf, our main base, to the Bitter Moon and the Tower. Purge the woods near it.
  • 3. When the opportunity presents itself, send off an expedition to the ruined Elven city/to the unnamed tower.

Offline clausewitz

• Members
Re: The Barren Hills- UK-Regional Organisation
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 09:07:46 PM »
Tostig, I wasn't implying too much haste in my suggestions (and while I can't be sure I don't think Veldemere was either).

As you have emphasised our goals are a) Fortify HQ and b) moving on secondary goals.

If you read my post in the mission statemate you'll see I'm all for maintaining concentration of force.  I think we were just clarifying what our goals are, rather than arguing for swift dispersal of our forces.

The point about the roads is a good addition.  I would definitely support adding that to our goals.

If we combine what we have so far...

Make the village of Egondorf the primary base of operations.

Situated to the west where our armies might arrive.
As the largest Empire settlement in the area it is incumbent upon us military commanders to provide protection to Imperial citizens.
Make use of local infrastructure.  The town has the capacity to billet troops and will have barns/store houses/etc that can be commandeered for supply dumps.

Branching out from there we fortify Egondorf and move to occupy the Bitter Moon and the tower.

Work to secure this area by building a road connecting Egondorf, our main base, to the Bitter Moon and the Tower.  Mount patrols and hunting parties to purge the woods near it of orcs, beastmen etc.

When the time is right forming one or more expiditions with the following goals.
Move to occupy and fortify the eastern tower.
And/Or
Move to investigate Tor Thana, by occupying the Tower of Vigilance as a southern base of operations.

Offline Stormbrow II

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 11:31:08 PM »
Right kiddies, just to notify ye:

The Territory/Key Locations that British gamers will battle over is the Barren Hills which is broken down further into:-

1 The Ruins of Tor Thana
2 The Giants Tump
3 Egondorf
4 Marchen's Henge
5 The Bitter Moon

This has been taken off A.org.  I assume that it means that the ROTW is going to be battling outside of the crescent-shape that will be fought for by the Brits. That is probably going to throw a spanner in the works but at least you know early.

Offline Jerok

• Members
  • Captain Campaign
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 11:55:51 PM »
Wow, many things about that last post....

1. Stormbrow, are you fighting FOR us in the campaign, or are you just a random person. If you're with us then go to the Recruitment thread.
2. Don't call people kiddies. It iritates me. Not your fault, but it makes everything we are doing seem like childs play.
3. UK doesn't mean just Britain/England, but the larger United Kingdom, ie. Scotland, Ireland etc.
4. What does ROTW stand for, if I may ask?
5. What 'crescent shape'?
6. If I knew what you were talking about it may put a spanner in the works....

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 11:37:20 AM »
Jerok Stormbrow II is on almost every forum talking about the campaign, particularly active with the woodies. I too would be keen to know the answers to your questions.

Also Stormbrow all you were telling us with regards to the locations is only what is said in the booklet and indeed higher up in this thread. Please do not spam, there is enough infomation coming through to keep Jerok busy enough as is.

Offline WarbossKurgan

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 12:44:11 PM »
I'm guessing Stormbrow is just a "drive-by" poster. He doesn't seem to have even read the rest of the thread. :icon_confused:

ROTW = Rest of the World.  :icon_biggrin:
"Britain" and "The United Kingdom" means the same thing to most people.  :icon_rolleyes:
Adm'rul Kurgan Grimjaw of the Ironfang Pirate Fleet

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 01:54:33 PM »
There is a subtle difference between Britain and UK, but it is not important right now.

We are obviously now awaiting the campaign going live, but I would still like thoughts as to where we should focus our energies.

It seems fairly clear that we are basing in the West of the map and gradually moving east. Having looked more closely at the map I am inclined to agree with both Tostig and clausewitz that we base ourselves in Egondorf. THis is not a long way from the Altdorf-Talabheim road, that is an important supply line but we cannot be expected to patrol the whole length of it.

To that end we should fight a defensive battle but if we just sit there and get whittled away we will not ever find a point where we will be able to advance. I still feel there should be an expeditionary force (not necessarily a large force but big enough to go for the unnamed fort (again quite possibly in the thoughts of other races) as this also has a reasonable supply route to the Old Forest Road and already seems to have most of the woods surrounding it cleared.

Offline clausewitz

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 03:47:52 PM »
There's something a little odd discussing our Empire strategy with the Big Boss of the UK O&G mobs looking over our shoulders!  :icon_eek:

Veldemere, should we be making plans to counter an O&G move to send Night Goblins to take the Bitter Moon and steal the beer?

I concur with the defensive start to the campaign for us, but we don't want to get stuck there as you say.  I guess the timing might be dependant on the results of early battles.

On another note I wonder what people think of this concept that was brought up on Da Warpath.. http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=17859

Offline General Romanov

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 06:08:10 PM »
I agree with Veldemere, if we just remain on the defensive we become to unpredictable and only able to react to enemy manoeuvres. If we wish to hold the unnamed fort, Egondorf and if I may say the Tower of Vigilance all well need is infantry and artillery, freeing up the cavalry to scout around and secure our secondary objectives, or at least check out enemy strengths at the locations.

Offline Jerok

• Members
  • Captain Campaign
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 01:47:49 AM »
clausewitz, believe me, that idea from da-warpath won't be taking effect. They won't ask if you played with their products or anything.

They will, however, want to know if you played at a labeled point on the map. Heck, you could play an open field game and say it was just outside of the town or somesuch.

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 10:38:39 AM »
Although I agree they will not be checking if you used any of their products it would seem logical to try and steer in the direction of increasing the effectiveness of their new products.

Here is a quick roundup of who wants what in our region:

Bitter Moon Inn- Goblins
Egondorf- O&G combined, poss VC
Marchens Henge- Orcs, Beasts
Giants Tump-
Ruins of Tor Thana- High Elves, Chaos, Dark Elves
Tower of Vigilance-
Skaven Cave- Skaven
Unnamed tower- Dwarves

This is all I have been able to find out by forum trawling. For now I feel it important we stick to gameplan but I suspect there will be some curve balls before this is through.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 11:06:35 AM by Veldemere »

Offline clausewitz

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2007, 11:30:07 AM »
clausewitz, believe me, that idea from da-warpath won't be taking effect. They won't ask if you played with their products or anything.

They will, however, want to know if you played at a labeled point on the map. Heck, you could play an open field game and say it was just outside of the town or somesuch.

The part about using the new products is not what I was really wanting to highlight.

It was the concept that battles that are fought at key locations (the marked ones on the map for example) might have different weightings for the campaign.

So a battle over Tor Thana might be worth more than a battle at Egondorf (just an example).

Could there be any truth in that, or have the orcs been out in the midday sun for too long?

Offline WarbossKurgan

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2007, 01:48:40 PM »
There's something a little odd discussing our Empire strategy with the Big Boss of the UK O&G mobs looking over our shoulders!  :icon_eek:
:icon_lol: Don't mind me - just pretend like I'm not here!  :icon_wink:

or have the orcs been out in the midday sun for too long?
Always a possibility!

The location-weighting thing is Dakka Dakka's theory based on his observations during the Medusa V campaign (which used the same software and mechanics as TNC will). I think it's quite possible and would not be difficult for GW to organise technically.
Adm'rul Kurgan Grimjaw of the Ironfang Pirate Fleet

Offline clausewitz

• Members
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2007, 11:11:15 PM »
:icon_lol: Don't mind me - just pretend like I'm not here!  :icon_wink:
If its all the same I think I might ask a couple of these gentlemen with pointy implements to keep an eye out...
or have the orcs been out in the midday sun for too long?
Always a possibility!

The location-weighting thing is Dakka Dakka's theory based on his observations during the Medusa V campaign (which used the same software and mechanics as TNC will). I think it's quite possible and would not be difficult for GW to organise technically.
Not being a 40k player I wasn't part of the Medusa V campaign.  Is there anyone here that can shed some light on this?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 09:59:45 AM by clausewitz »

Offline Tostig

• Members
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 09:58:39 PM »
I've updated the first post with a better map. Apart from that not much has changed as far as I can tell, but then again I've been pubbing and fencing since midday.

So then, same old plan?

Offline Douchie

• Members
  • The Army of Eastern Stirland
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 10:51:36 AM »
I'm all for the orgional plan,

Hold onto our HQ - From what Veldemere has said Egondorf is going to be the focus of at least two other forces anyway. once we have secured the village we can look to take advantage of any developments in the surrounding areas.

For Stirland and the Empire!

Offline Mark Perry

• Members
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 11:58:26 AM »
I concur with most of whats been said so far. The priorities as I see them are to

1) Establish a strong base of operations from which to conduct the campaign. that would have to be Egondorf. To send a force to the Bitter Moon to reinforce that and give us more room to maneuver.

2) Have a scout force initially at the tower of vigilance, which should be backed up with Artillery, Pistoliers, Outriders and Knights and ground troops when available. This point will be the eyes of the campaign as there is a Skaven Lair and the O/G and VC threat.

3) Construction of a road link between the defensive triangle of Egondorf, Bitter Moon and Tower of Vigilance, to allow support for any point to be given from the other 2.

Initially I believe that we have be defensive of this triangle, once we know what we are facing and how many, then we can plan to counter attack.

The empty Fort near Marchen's Henge would be an ideal place to send Huntsmen to keep an eye out in that region and possable a place to gether offensive reinforcements should we wish to encircle the enemy.

The Wood Elves and Dwarfs may be Allys in this area but I wouldn't count on it. I think that the O&G along with VC, Beastmen and Skaven will, with a little help from us be distracted fighting each other.

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 12:24:37 PM »
Welcome Mark, good to have you on board.

Again brief update it seems most races are interested in the ruins. Let them fight over it I say, I am sure there will be some tasty trinkets there but we have more important things to do than chase baubles. Lets keep our eyes on the goals;

1) Defend the Empire
2) Find the Crown (which I suspect will not appear until late in the campaign, having a stong base of operations is essential for us to strike from if it is in our region)