home

Author Topic: Archmages  (Read 3091 times)

Offline Lord Fenington

• Members
Archmages
« on: August 13, 2009, 11:10:37 PM »
Not sure whether they should be sperate lord choice or upgrade for wizard lord, but at the minute, there's not much of an option for taking archmages.
BTW, what were acolytes?

Offline Spiney

• Members
  • Merchant Prince of Marienburg
Re: Archmages
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 11:15:12 PM »
Archmages are elves, not humans. If you want a better human wizard lord try calling them "College Patriarch".

Its an option, but I'd recommend it be added as a possible upgrade for a lord level wizard, it would be pretty messy to have two generic wizard entries in the lord section.

You'd probably have to make it one wizard lord in the army could be upgraded to a College patriarch, each college is only going to have one after all, and I can't see them working together much.

Brain wounder: for when you don't want to kill your enemies, just leave them bedridden and pissing themselves.

Offline Lord Fenington

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 11:26:27 PM »
Archmages are elves, not humans. If you want a better human wizard lord try calling them "College Patriarch".

Actually, in the BL book, master of magic, the leaders of each college of magic are called archmages and they do sometimes work together, however I do agree that it should be an upgrade.

Offline Spiney

• Members
  • Merchant Prince of Marienburg
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 08:59:17 AM »
Hmmm, the canonical fluff in our army book refers to the college leaders as Patriarchs, of which Balthazar Gelt is the Supreme patriarch

Brain wounder: for when you don't want to kill your enemies, just leave them bedridden and pissing themselves.

Offline Perforated

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 09:09:38 AM »
Perhaps they use both terms?

As for acolytes, they were a nice fluffy option for Light mages in 4th and 5th edition. You could buy acolytes which were pretty much basic humans with hand weapons. As long as they stayed in formation with the wizard he got an extra magic card every turn (which roughly translates to generating one extra PD and DD).
Stirland rabble for life!

Offline Ganymede

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 03:47:00 PM »
I think the problem is that High Elf Wizards are already called Mages and Archmages.

You'll notice that after the wood elf lords were named highborns, GW changed the fluff of dark elves and renamed their lords dreadlords in order to avoid the similarity.

Haha, GW is really starting to run out of wizardly synonyms for its spellcasters. We have already used warlock, seer, wizard, sorcerer, shaman, mage, and necromancer.