home

Author Topic: Boardgames  (Read 91690 times)

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
Re: Boardgames
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2012, 09:24:47 AM »
Great family game :

Ticket to ride

Great introduction to wargames : Memoir 44

Both by Days of Wonder.
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 02:17:56 PM »
Diskworld - very easy to play, very fun and you don't really need to have read the books

I have read them though, the first three or so anyway. Ages ago. Will check it out.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2012, 02:38:18 AM »
Iron grid is also a great game

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 12:39:33 AM »
I just played the Consul for two games of Super Dungeon Explore. It was actually quite fun!

If... odd in design.  :happy:
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2012, 02:20:10 AM »
Watch Tabletop !!

For great boardgame ideas, and to see them played; including many already mentioned. The first episode is Small World.

Twilight Imperium is a popular game in this area.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2012, 03:31:45 AM »
Oh, I just got a copy of Battlemaster for £25.

And a friend is giving me another copy sometime soon.  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2012, 04:04:01 AM »

I demand one as payment for the sandwiches.
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2012, 01:54:13 PM »
Watch Tabletop !!

This is cool.  +1 Internet to you sir.

My LGS was closing and they had an unopend box of Battlemasters for sale, I think it was $30-40.  I don't really remember, I just remember it was enough to dissuade me from the purchase as money was really tight at that time.  I was sad...still am.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2012, 03:07:07 PM »

You get nothing, good day sir*

*ma'am

Offline Armholeeio

• Members
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2012, 07:34:23 PM »
any one tried Dust tatics?  looks a cool board game
If it wasn't for the dried frog pills i would be mad !!!!!!!

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2012, 12:36:44 AM »

You get nothing, good day sir*

*ma'am
But if I'm a woman then....... you owe me Alimony.
― Thomas Paine

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2012, 02:17:01 AM »
We never married.

:engel:

Anyway, could any of those with experience of Battle master confirm/discuss the usage of house rules? From reviews and a vid I watched it seems the game requires house rules to be... "good".

One of the more common being separating the empire/chaos decks (though it seems it may be an idea to remove them altogether and just alternate, choosing which to move).

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2012, 02:23:44 AM »
We never married.

Whore  :icon_evil:
Anyway, could any of those with experience of Battle master confirm/discuss the usage of house rules? From reviews and a vid I watched it seems the game requires house rules to be... "good".

You don't necessarily need to it just feels much better if you do. It's still a fun game if you don't.

One of the more common being separating the empire/chaos decks (though it seems it may be an idea to remove them altogether and just alternate, choosing which to move).
I did that with my friends. We kept forgetting anyway but that could have been the alcohols fault hehe   
― Thomas Paine

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2012, 08:22:50 PM »
any one tried Dust tatics?  looks a cool board game

I've not tried it, but most people I've talked to don't like Dust Tactics (the boardgame version). I have heard good things about Dust Warfare (the miniatures wargame version). They both use the same miniatures, but use different rules.

Another great game I had forgotten about but just started playing again is

Guillotine
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/116/guillotine

A great little game set during the French Revolution. You've got a Guillotine, a deck of Nobles, and a deck of Action cards. You play rival executioners who are competing to execute the most prestigious nobles. You play three days worth of executions and at the end of three days you total up the values of all the nobles you've executed and the highest total wins. A very fun and quick game, that is if you enjoy the idea of executing French nobles, like Marie Antoinette, King Louis the XVI, The Bad Nun, or the Piss Boy.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2012, 06:29:17 AM »
That Guillotine game triggered something...

Nuclear War/Escalation/Proliferation. http://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&objecttype=boardgame&q=nuclear&B1=Go

Nice funny games (the last 2 are stand-alone expansions, I've only got Escalation for instance but have friends who have the others) in which you try and make sure your opponents lose all of their population. This can actually be done in a peaceful way with propaganda cards but once the first missile starts flying nobody buys into that crap anymore (unless everybody agrees to peace during a later stage, very rare occurrence).

Silly weapons, counter-measures, the ability to use those counter-measures to help somebody else (enemy of my enemy is my temporary friend) make this a fun game. As is the random hidden population, you never know how many people somebody might have!!

What really makes it great though IMO is the final strike ability. Once a country's 'dead' it can make one last strike with all valid card combinations to strike its opponents (most often just the person who brought on their demise). If that country dies as a result it also gets a final strike etc. etc.
Many games have ended in everybody being dead. Hey, it's nuclear war, everybody loses!!

Bring out the beer and pretzels!
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2012, 08:51:55 AM »
Not a real Board game either, but great fun : Perudo !

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/45/liars-dice
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2012, 05:19:03 AM »
We never married.

I never used house rules. I always just played out of the box, without even using the campaign rules. We just built our own maps, plonked the tower down randomly and rolled with it. The armies are pretty even, though with the card deck it can end up one sided. The cannon and Grimorg can really turn a battle. Chaos needs to focus it's attacks a bit more as it has some weaker units but more of them.

Possibly the only house rules to make it more even that I might consider is splitting the deck by army and alternating turns between players (each player flipping a card from their deck).
There are three things each man judges another man by;

1. The size of his codpiece
2. The amount of skulls he carries
3. The length of his feather

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2012, 05:50:26 AM »

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2012, 02:32:12 PM »
ZeroTwentyThree, how long does it really take to play. BoardgameGeek says 60 minutes. At work we play games over lunch hour on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Would this be better for an evening session where we have more time? I'm building a list of Horror type games for us to play in October and this is one of them I've been thinking of adding to my collection.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2012, 06:32:38 PM »
60 minutes is probably a good estimate for an average game with people who are familiar with the rules (and it is really easy to learn.)

However, there are a few factors that can push a game longer than that. There are two "phases" to the game, exploration and the haunt. Initially all the heroes are exploring the house, buffing stats & collecting items. There is a random element to when the haunt starts. When you discover & enter certain rooms, you roll for it, with an increasing likely hood of it happening based on how many of those rooms have been previously discovered. So if they're all buried in the stack of unexplored rooms or if the haunt rolls are just lucky, it may take a while. Exploration is simple & fast, though. The other factor is that there are something like 70+ haunt scenarios, with the scenario being determined by a few factors (which room and what event/item triggered the haunt.) Many I've seen are straight forward. One, however, involved riddles and dragged the game out for far longer. (Although I should admit that all the players in that game were new and not regular board game players. Several had a few drinks in them.)

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2012, 07:24:53 PM »
Seeing as we would all be new to the game it looks like it would be better for one of our evening sessions then. Thanks for the info.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2012, 01:56:38 AM »
Play it once in the evening to learn it, after that you should probably be able to play at lunch.

Offline Johan Willhelm

• Members
  • ~~~~~~~~~~
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2012, 08:03:04 PM »
Yet another shout out for Carcasonne

Arkham Horror is excellent. But for a "Beer & Pretzels" light bit of gaming I reccomend the card games: "Guillotine" & "Bang!" The former involves executing aristos in the French revolution in a weird "Happy Families" style scoring system & the latter is a wild west shootout. Braggart is also a hillarious game where you boast about adventuring exploits
Rufas the Eccentric:
Some times there will be threads on controversial subjects . . . Reasonable people can disagree about these things . . . It is important to not make personal attacks or get drawn in to personal attacks.

Be it ethics or muppets. Rufas was a good man.

الني

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
"Guillotine"...The former involves executing aristos in the French revolution in a weird "Happy Families" style scoring system...

This game has you written all over it. :wink:
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2012, 01:43:30 AM »
I played my First game of Settlers of Catan the other day. Great game and I caught on real fast but it quickly became competitive and now no one wants to play hahaha
― Thomas Paine