home

Author Topic: Upcoming and Current Movies ...  (Read 179962 times)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: Upcoming and Current Movies ...
« Reply #1175 on: May 25, 2018, 12:10:15 PM »
I haven't seen any individual positive reviews, but havent looked too far.

5.6 imdb, 63% metacritic, 71% rotten tomatoes
compared to 8 imdb, 81% metacritic, 93% rotten tomatoes for force awakens.

anecdotally, I saw TFA twice at the cinema once with "the school dads" and once with my hockey squad. There were 8 of us in the school dads trip and 10 or so with hockey.

for Solo there are 3 school dads going and no one from hockey.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #1176 on: May 25, 2018, 01:00:05 PM »
they've already fucked star wars tbh. Han solo film out today and no one talking about it. Spamming a film a year makes things seem unspecial and makes them less good, what a surprise....

Agreed. Star Wars is done for.

I wateched the new Avengers movie. I was entertained, but it sucked.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #1177 on: May 25, 2018, 01:04:59 PM »
Star Wars done and Avengers sucking...strong words from a strong man.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1178 on: May 25, 2018, 01:10:21 PM »
I wasn't thrilled with the new avengers movie "trailer", and probably won't go.

Solo on the other hand, probably worth the trip.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #1179 on: May 25, 2018, 01:16:50 PM »

Thank you! :blush: Don't get me wrong, the movie delivered what it promised. It just wasn't good. Which is a no surprise, really.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1180 on: May 25, 2018, 02:35:08 PM »
MCU sucks for sure.

Pass the machete.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #1181 on: May 25, 2018, 02:39:32 PM »
Their TV series are solid. Their movies are (mostly) just ok.

Gneisenau

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1182 on: May 25, 2018, 02:42:13 PM »
spam crap films every year big on action and low on substance, for kids and middle aged white neck beards. make a billion dollars a year.

meanwhile annihilation, ex machina, new blade runner make no money.

yes, I do think am superior to the generic hollywood audience, why do you ask?

Pass the machete.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #1183 on: May 25, 2018, 03:32:18 PM »
going tomorrow to the Solo movie.. maybe it's the timing in may instead of december? Might be that half the semi-fan have no clue that the movie is even out?
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1184 on: May 25, 2018, 03:35:03 PM »
Steg has a point.

The last two movies plus Rogue 1 have all been Xmas releases and seem to have been better publicised. Maybe there is an element of this one not being on the radar.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #1185 on: May 25, 2018, 05:10:18 PM »

Thank you! :blush: Don't get me wrong, the movie delivered what it promised. It just wasn't good. Which is a no surprise, really.

I mean, I disagree, but so be it. Overall I really like the MCU and thinj Infinity War was very well done.  For the newest Star Wars I thought Rogue One was great with the other two being decent though sadly underwhelming with some perspective.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Online Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1186 on: May 25, 2018, 05:14:09 PM »
Has it really not been publicised though? I feel like I see commercials every break like usual. I've seen interviews and reviews. They had people on Graham Norton and the other various talk shows. I totally agree it doesn't have the same buzz that previous star wars movies had, but I don't know if it's because it hasn't been getting the same publicity.

I'm generally agreed with there being to many marvel and star wars movies a year. I Think they would do better more spaced out. Marvel movies I almost always enjoy, but they're not going to end up on my top ten of the year list. Certainly not top movies ever. I really liked Thor Ragnorok, Black Panther was enjoyable, and I'm looking forward to getting out to see Deadpool 2. Avengers I've always been a bit meh on and I feel like having 20-30 mainish characters is just... not really my thing. Still, everything I've heard about it makes me think I'll enjoy seeing it.

Like Wiss I really liked Rogue One with the other two being enjoyable but not nearly as great as the original trilogy.

• Members
« Reply #1187 on: May 25, 2018, 07:08:51 PM »
I haven't seen one commercial here for it, just social media references at best..

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #1188 on: May 27, 2018, 02:13:00 PM »
I was willing to take my nephew to see Han Solo however that wont be happening considering his fathers actions

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1189 on: May 27, 2018, 03:55:10 PM »
Seeing it on the weekend.
Watched Last Jedi again on the plane, and all my previous annoyances and disappointments still exist. The universe feels empty. At least with Rogue1 it felt full. Hoping Solo is good.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• Members
« Reply #1190 on: May 28, 2018, 02:06:53 PM »
I liked Solo a lot, maybe not the best one out there but sure a good one for me

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #1191 on: May 28, 2018, 07:15:44 PM »
Saw 'Solo' against my better judgement last night, a middle of the road meh film. Some nice bits and good set pieces even out with the eye roll hatred bits which makes it par for the Disney course. I suppose in honesty that has been the increasingly galling point for me (along with MCU stuff) never any daring or trying just to a product out that is pretty okay and thus will hit the dollars needed bit.

*Spoilers*
I'll put in this break even though I hate this concept for how anal people are about it but as courtesy.

Why the fuck is Darth Maul in this movie, Christ that is awful. Sure it appeals to the people that love the cartoons but fuck I don't want supplementary media feed into a main line film. Let us folks who have only watched the films enjoy then and then not shoe horn a terrible but cool looking character still be in the film. Like don't get me wrong I like the early bits of EU where Bobba gets out of the Sarlaac pit but the rest ruins it. Cool character design should not trump actual story writing. 
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #1192 on: May 29, 2018, 05:10:24 AM »
Not sense Rogue One have I enjoyed a Star Wars movie that much. Solo was so much fun
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #1193 on: June 02, 2018, 03:11:48 AM »
Jeffery Dahmer biopic coming soon. Please god no serial killer cinematic universe :Ohmy:

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1194 on: June 04, 2018, 06:48:27 PM »
Saw Solo today. I quite liked it. Was a fun romp in the star wars galaxy without having to have a galaxy shattering plot. I also liked the ending on how they tied in both TV shows to the movies.  Lando and Han's relationship is excellent. :eusa_clap:

@S.O.F.
I thought the addition was brilliant and kept with the canon of the show. I liked that they had the original actors from Ep1 with the voice of the actor that does his voice in literally everything else including the TV show.  I think its to set up another movie later.  At the end of Clone wars he's the head of a crime syndicate and in Palpatine's pocket, but by Rebels he's on his own again. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a movie dealing with the in between.  Who knows, maybe if Solo did well we would have got a sequel that deals with him. It wasn't meant for you to have to go and watch the shows, but is probably meant to make you go "oh shit! He's back!" and then he shows up in another movie.

That's just me though and to each their own. It was by no means a great film, but was fun.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 10:29:53 PM by Feanor Fire Heart »
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1195 on: June 05, 2018, 06:11:19 AM »
Spoiler warning #2?
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #1196 on: June 05, 2018, 11:41:35 AM »
It wasn't meant for you to have to go and watch the shows, but is probably meant to make you go "oh shit! He's back!" and then he shows up in another movie.

Meh, I find it dumb when articles like this show up on I09:

Because here’s the really big problem with Boba Fett, when it comes to building a two-hour movie around him: He’s not a character, per se. He’s an extremely cool design—although other cool Mandalorians are also available—but a character? Absolutely not. Fett is a well-crafted shell, a blunt narrative tool to be wielded in both Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi before he’s ultimately discarded in the chump-iest of ways, and that’s precisely what Boba Fett as we know him in the films is actually worth. We don’t know who he is, or why he does the things he does. He’s a cool facade for a plot device more than he is a fleshed out character.

One can just a easily replace Maul with Fett in those sentences and it is about the same. The cartoons have elevated Maul as a character sure, I understand that but again for a person that has never bothered to watch them the exact same logic applies to Maul as to Fett. Now given that the response to many that seem to be derisive to a Fett film are generally positive to the Maul cameo, it is just rather annoying. Maul is just jarring to see. I suppose though this is more a product of a generational divide in Star Wars fans, though equal characters when it comes to film source material. Fett enthralled those who grew up on the originals where Maul was that character for those that grew up with the prequels.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #1197 on: June 05, 2018, 03:54:07 PM »
OK I have a question what was that symbol at the end of Avengers ??? I mean after the credits ?? gah  :unsure: not on my nerd game today 
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1198 on: June 05, 2018, 05:32:21 PM »
I haven't seen avengers yet but you can PM me a picture and I could probably help.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Online Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1199 on: June 05, 2018, 06:09:34 PM »
Spoilers***

A quick google search suggests it's Captain Marvel's Sigil.