home

Author Topic: Gankom's Painting Blog of Random Variety  (Read 18855 times)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: Gankom's Painting Blog of Random Variety
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2017, 07:03:03 PM »
Only a brief update for now while I try to remember what photo thing I'm keeping pictures on nowadays.

One of the ogres from the Reaper III Kickstarter. Still a couple of details to work on, and maybe a few more highlights. I kind of like the scruffy, dirty look of his skin but it also looks a bit to dirty to me.

Hopefully another update soon with a mix of khorne marauders and dwarves! Just have to take the pictures and upload them.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2017, 07:35:23 PM »
Quote Gankom :  I kind of like the scruffy, dirty look of his skin but it also looks a bit to dirty to me.

Nope! Last bath he had was probably wading thru a river. Looks great!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2018, 09:46:02 PM »
Some quick pictures just to remind myself that I do in fact paint on occasion. First up, finished the threesome of ogres plus a Merrow ogre who liked to hang out with them;

Then just another picture of some Goretide marauders. I actually really like these models despite not really playing chaos. Their nice and big, which means I can play around with colors and actually see how it looks without squinting. In particular I'm trying to experiment with skin colors.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2018, 12:30:27 AM »
Those mauraders are really unique. I remember a time when I wanted to do an all maurader army with cavalry as well. Those ogres look like they just want to hit things. That’s what I like about AoS. You can just grab like minded individuals that want to wreak havoc and make a band out of them. I’m not too worried about synchronicities and stuff so it works well for me.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2018, 12:50:33 AM »
I agree. it's meant I can use a wider variety of stuff, especially means I can grab a few models that interest me and use them together.

I'm quite happy with the ogres actually. I usually hate my own painting, but I like that I got a few different skin tones going across the different models. Plus a few details like all the belts on the ogres being the same color tying them together worked well.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2018, 01:00:41 AM »
The ogres are great. What models are they? I have a few trolls with similar bases but I don’t know were they came from. 
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2018, 01:55:53 AM »
Those ogres look very good!  I'm curious about where they came from, too.  And are the gore tide figures current GW?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2018, 03:43:16 AM »
The ogres are Reaper Bones line from their 3rd kickstarter. I don't know if their out in retail just yet, but if they aren't they will be soon. The ogres are a real nice size though and the detail is pretty good.

The goretide are some of the chaos marauders out of the Age of Sigmar starter set. You get about 20 of them and I'm about two thirds through the unit. You can see some other pictures of previous painted ones further back.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2018, 03:52:22 AM »
Here ya go. The ogres I have are in the top right. The cheaper version is bones and elsewhere on the same page are more expensive metal versions.

https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Ogre/latest

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2018, 10:26:21 AM »
Ah yes, the WAoS starter set, those chaos figures do look like fun to paint.  And your idea to paint them with different skin tones reminds me of 023 painting some of his unit of half-orcs in different tones as well.  I like the effect.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Gankom's Painting Blog of Random Variety Dorf Day
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 06:35:49 PM »
Some more fantasy models all finished up and tabletop ready. It was dorf day on the weekend, along with some a friendly neighborhood metal wizard.

First up we have the ancient and craggy Krag the Grim! In the Lore of my gaming group for the past decade we've been playing an a whole new world. One formed from bits and pieces of other fantasy worlds essentially 'stolen' by the gods of this one. So everyone from Lord of the Rings Characters, to Warhammer lords, to Terry Pratchetts most wanted live in these parts. Krag the Grim however is having none of that. He intends to reforge the good ol'fashioned Dawi of the Undgrim Ankor!

He's got some help though. First a few steady gunners (and a sole brave warrior) have joined his mission. The bulk are drawn from loyal dwarfs of Karak-Hirn, but some come from the scattered refugees of other holds that have found themselves in this new, broken world.

Then we have some civilians to help manage the logistics. Two of the most important in fact! Namely a brewer to keep them in drink, and a butcher to keep them fed!

Finally (For today) we have the wizard Henrich Agrippa. Learned and skilled in the Lore of Metal, he's been 'assisting' Krag the Grim in the hopes that he might learn some Runelord to boost his current abilities.

~~

As for the painting itself, I'm generally pretty happy with it. The cold, white eyes bother me a bit, but my hands just aren't steady enough to actually paint a pupil in there. Last time I tried I gave everyone solid black eyes that looked even worse.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 08:11:54 PM »
Love em! That butcher and brewer are fantastic!
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2018, 10:55:11 PM »
Just two pictures of painted models today, but then another update soon after for something just a little bit different.

Two witches! There's a third for the group who I think was in an earlier picture. The three of them are inspired by a mix of the three fates/norns and the witches from Macbeth.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2018, 11:07:56 PM »
Righty, and now time for something completely different. I mentioned before in some other threads that one of my other hobbies is leatherwork. Rather then start a new thread I figured I'd post some pictures here.

These are what I call panels, or tiles. They're really just practice pieces. Ways to experiment with dyes, or designs or wording. So you'll notice plenty of obvious errors. Try not to focus to much on the fact none of the words line up super well. I do a fair bit of leather work as part of the local reenactors group, and I'm particularly involved in some of the heraldry stuff. (I'm not ONE of the heralds. I just help people out with designs and stuff) So that's why the panels are all a mix of designs and mottoes/quotes/random text. It's all a bit of experimental work to see how stuff turns out.

Anyways, enjoy!

Some close ups on particular ones I enjoyed.

and finally, in the words of Yoda;

I tried to dig out some of my actual leather crafting but none of the finished pieces are easy to get to. The unfinished stuff really doesn't look good till it's a bit further along. Usually I'm making stuff like quivers (my most common work), wallets, satchels, knife sheaths (Also very popular) and of course the designs and such on them. I don't do clothing as much, but if I had a nickel for everyone who's wandered up and asked me to make them some kinky stuff (usually for free) I'd be a very rich man indeed. Probably a great deal more popular as well. More interesting weekends to.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2018, 11:31:07 PM »
Firstly those witches are fantastic. Love the dark cloths and colours. Anything with the word ‘norns’  imeadiately grabs my attention.

Amon Amarth - fate of Norns. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7av0tHYMaw
The lyrics are hard to understand if your not used to the voice 😺
"The Fate Of Norns"

I feel a chill in my heart
Like lingering winter cold
I and my son are torn apart
He was just 6 winters old

My first-born was he
And the last of my kin
The last one to carry my name
Death smiled at him its deadly grin
There is no one for me to blame

The fate of Norns await us all
There is no way to escape
The day to answer Oden's call
Or walk through hel's gate

I carry him to my ship
He seems to be asleep
But the deep blue colour of his lips
Is enough to make me weep

No man should have to bury his child
Yet this has been my share
The tears i shed run bitter and wild
It's a heavy burden to bear

His body feels so light in my arms
His skin is pale as snow
Yet his weight feels heavy in my heart
As my sadness continues to grow

Allfather!
What fate has been given me?
Why must I suffer?
Why must I feel this pain?
Allfather!
LIfe has lost it's meaning to me
I think I'm going insane!

I lay him down on a pyre
A burial worthy a king
And as I lie down by his side
I hear the weaving norns sing

There is no way to escape
The day to answer Oden's call
Or walk through hel's gate

I know this to be true
It's time to answer Odens's call
My son, he calls for me and you

Secondly, that leather work is awesome. First thing that comes to mind is a Tome cover front and back. Would’ve great for a book of family pictures or the like.  I like the North remembers one and the yoda saying. Really interesting crafting skill.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2018, 11:48:46 PM »
Where'd the brewer and butcher come from?

By the way, your figures have white eyes.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2018, 11:53:49 PM »
Woo, I know Amon Amarth. Had the very song playing just recently.

@GP, everywhere you look in my threads your falling in love with Reaper models. The brewer and butcher are Reaper Bones figures from their last kickstarter. They've been making a lot more townsfolk models. I also have a Halfling chef, half-ork Sherpa and Elf blacksmith on the to do queue.

Sadly I also know about the eyes. I don't have a fine enough brush or steady enough hands to give them pupils without drawing a big mark down their face.

Edit: Just for you GP.

The brewer
https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Bones/latest/77461

The butcher
https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/butcher/sku-down/77460

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2018, 11:59:16 PM »
I'm a real fan of the townsfolk models. From Reaper especially, but also some other manufacturers. I like being able to make some city or frontier village scenes, and using just warhammer models has everyone to heavily armed. I also have this semi recurring dream of discovering the cabinet from Indian in the cupboard, and using it to bring a whole village worth of people to life.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2018, 12:18:18 AM »
Have you considered using a micro pen for the eyes?  I've done this form time to time and it works ok.

Thanks for the links to the reaper figures!  Only$2.99 a piece.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2018, 12:32:41 AM »
The bones stuff is super cheap and decent quality.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2018, 12:38:07 AM »
That leather work is awesome. Not sure if you saw the comment at the bottom of the lyrics. This is something I could get into. Leatherwork and forging I think would go well together.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2018, 01:07:12 AM »
Thanks! That's how I got into it originally. I did some black smithing as part of a historical society, and I wanted to make some wrappings for knife hilts and sheaths and stuff. Then I started having more fun with designs and quivers and whatnot, went from there. it's like painting. A nice, relaxing way to spend an afternoon. Only downside is it needs a fair bit of space, and lots of ventilation if your doing dyes and finishes.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2018, 04:54:33 PM »
Nice work dude  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2018, 08:11:13 PM »
Thanks folks! I was rearranging some boxes and ended up pulling out some older stuff to photograph.

First off we have the fabulous Stormcast Lord from the starter set.

Then we have an old style Kurt Helborg. He was the general of my empire army a few months ago and rode to a brutal victory over some Brettonian Peasants. I almost felt bad for them. Almost...

Looking at the pictures, I think I'll go back and touch him up a bit. Maybe do a bit more of a wash. Especially on his helmet wings.

Next pictures are something a bit different. When I joined the forum all those years ago I was incredibly inspired by the annual Pleasant Surprise threads. Being poor, terrible at painting and equally terrible time management I never signed up for the actual pleasant surprise, but I did arrange a similar gift giving exchange among my local friends. We did four or five such exchanges before everyone moved off and away. This is the model given to me in the last such exchange. It's based on a True Story involving the friend who gave it to me and myself, and a time we were both the best canoeing pair in our Scout Troop, while also being the absolute worst canoeing pair in the Scout Troops. Apparently I'm the mummy in the back being bossy.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2018, 09:42:02 PM »
Awesome! That skin tone on stormcast mount is incredible as well as the detail. Good for Kurt! Put them peasant in their bloody place and that canoe is hilarious. I was a scout leader during the whole time my son was in and that was some great times. Especially are yearly summer trip to Algonquin park. Canoes, natural water slides. It was the best.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020