home

Author Topic: Konrad makes pistol militia!  (Read 6191 times)

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
Konrad makes pistol militia!
« on: February 18, 2017, 11:53:08 PM »
Because of near-term gaming needs, and for the sake of variety, I took a break from the spearman conversions. Skirmishing pistol militia are apparently something you should have in T9A, apparently almost all Empire tournament lists have them. So apparently I need myself some.

I had a look at my old Free Company models from the good old 6e times. I have 8 models armed with a pistol (or in the case of one of them, two pistols). Not enough for a unit, min size is 10. Apart from those, I seem to have 17 other Free Company models. I decided that the pistol guys would get reassigned to become skirmishing pistol militia. The rest could be reformed into a Militia close combat support unit, maybe 15 strong or so. I already decided to give them a standard bearer (in T9A, all standards count towards CR, not just the first and the BSB), and that the emblem on the standard should be a hanging noose. Yeah, this will be a penal unit.

As for the pistol militia though, I'd need at least 2 more guys to get a playable unit. Since fielding two such units of 10 models is entirely viable and something you might do much of the time. Also, it lets me dilute the original 8 between two units. Most of them aren't bad at all, they're just rather limited in their selection of used bitz, I apparently didn't do kitbashing much back in the day. So, 12 extra skirmishing pistol militia guys is what I'll make.

I looked through my supply. I have a couple 6e militia pistols left, both the ones in the outstretched right hand and couched in the left hand. Also, it seems like I have plenty of the 7e handgunner box pistols, an outstretched puff-and-slash left arm holding a pistol, and another one held in a right hand, leaning against the shoulder. I should use those. Only that if I use the puffy ones, too many guys will have puffy arms. Better just cut it off by the wrist and stick the pistol-holding hand on another arm. When kitbashing isn't enough, convert!

Six first guys have been put together:

Note to self: When using a crappy mobile phone camera, flash is your friend, even if it isn't dark. The upper picture was taken with flash, and it just has better colour depth and shows detail better.

So I'm going to make just a few guys with two pistols, and the rest with one pistol each. Just to keep it WYSIWYG. I'm using a mix of the state troop puff-and-slash clothes and the militia. Being militia, these guys have to equip themselves using whatever, but some have managed to scavenge second-hand puff-and-slash clothes, or even bought some to be fancy. The middle guy in the bottom picture, him I envision as some kind of wannabe swashbuckler hero, therefore he has the full puffy set, breastplate, two pistols that he dual-wields, a sword and a buckler on his left hip, and (not seen in this pic) a long dagger on the right hip. My favourite so far, though, is the guy on the right in the top picture. Waist up, he wears an outfit as proper as any state trooper, though below waist, he has the most ragged pants found in the 6e militia box. I guess he blew all his money on a fancy outfit, managed to ruin the pants, and had to make do.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:10:43 AM by Konrad von Richtmark »
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: Konrad makes pistol militia!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 07:29:54 AM »
 :eusa_clap:

Kitbashing and converting Militia is always great fun, and T9A is fun in focusing on the pistol.  :-)

:::cheers:::

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 12:29:30 PM »
I love a good kitbash and I love the Militia. So I applaud your efforts. :biggriin:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 11:56:28 PM »
Two more pistol militia:

And that's the extent of the pistol militia I'll make at this point. An unexpected development happened. Back in the day of 6e/7e, I converted myself 8 Dogs of War duellists. I couldn't find them now, so I had written them off. I just found them yesterday, they were in a box of figs I had set apart for RPG purposes. Now, they'll serve on the battlefield. They don't look quite so militia-ish though, they are converted from 6e state trooper bitz and militia pistols, and thus wear puff and slash painted in the regular colours of my army. But they look pretty good, so I use what I have.

Those two last militia guys were deliberately built in the same style, and will beef up the old duellists up to 10. The six I previously made and showed in the last posts will be joined by 4 pistol-wielders from my old 6e/7e Free Company. Then I will have two pistol militia units of 10 each, one looking rather regular and the other a mix of puff-and-slash and militia irregularity. Pics will come when it's all done.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:10:57 AM by Konrad von Richtmark »
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 01:24:42 AM »
Puff and slash foot pistoliers will look great!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 09:35:16 PM »
The two last posted pistol militiamen have been graced with paint:

Whole unit will be shown later when I've fixed the bases.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:11:05 AM by Konrad von Richtmark »

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 08:51:01 AM »
Damn, these look good!
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 09:00:02 PM »
While waiting for spray-undercoated crossbowmen to dry and stop smelling, I painted up some pistol militia:

Just using mass production methods here, painting in flat colours and treating with wash. Skin areas were re-highlighted with original colour, and hair and beard of the guy on the right was re-drybrushed white.

Current objective is to have two units of 10 pistol militia each, and use them for T9A. I have all the models, consisting of 8 old converted foot pistoliers (used as DoW Duellists back during 6th edition), two more later made in the same style, a few additional ones I assembled, and some requisitioned from models I used for Free Company detachments back in the day.

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 10:45:49 PM »
Hi Konrad, try this to recover your old photographs. Midaski fixed some of mine using it.
"My pleasure - and I did your pics  just added   ~original       after the jpg - have a look ?"

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 08:11:34 AM »
Done  :happy:

I wonder how long it will take until Photobucket notices and closes that loophole.

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 08:32:59 AM »

I wonder how long it will take until Photobucket notices and closes that loophole.

I updated my two main threads back in September with this method and they are still visible. I’ve not seen anything to suggest how Photobucket are doing since their attack of mass greed so don’t know if they’re too busy to be bothered about us small fry or having shot themselves in the foot they’re just grateful that we are still using them.

Strange thing I noticed the other day – did an image search on google and saw one of my photos so checked the link – the page opened with the Photobucket notice rather than the photo – can’t do Photobucket any favours if they let the search engine find an image and then won’t let you see it.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 08:45:59 AM »
Looking good!

Have you got complete units yet?

Are you planning to make them regulars or skirmishers?

Did they just lose the Support unit status in T9A?

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 10:00:51 AM »
Yes, militia will no longer count as Support units in T9A 2.0. A change that I approve of, it makes clearer the distinction between the regular state troops and the irregulars.

Thing is, I made a unit of 8 Dogs of War Duellists back during the golden age that was 6th edition, mainly using the Soldiers of the Empire box, I wanted them to look like uniformed puff-and-slash foot pistoliers. When I first started this thread though, I couldn't find them, I had mentally written them off as having been lost over the course of several apartment moves over a decade. Then I converted/kitbashed the six guys shown in the first post. Then I found my old duellists, so my plans changed. I converted two more in full puff and slash to get that unit up to 10. Then, indecisive as I is, I realized I want two units. I dusted off the six I had originally made shown in the first post of this thread, and repurposed four more from what used to be my Free Company detachments during 6th edition. I intend to mix them all up so that both units get a mix of uniformed, semi-uniformed and un-uniformed figures, to make them look properly irregular.

So yeah, these will all be skirmishing pistol militia. One of my random longer-term plans is to make another two units of 15 ranked militiamen, counting as just having paired weapons, repurposing what's left of my old Free Company detachments and a bunch of other random suitable leftover figs I have.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 12:01:42 PM »
I have a unit of 10 militia made early on that has 5 highwaymen in black coats carrying pistols (one hasn't gotten rid of his bow from the old days but still has a pistol, one with a blunder buss), and 5 boatmen who carry a menagerie of weapons.  The original plan was to make 5 more of each, although haven't gotten to it at this point.  Good to see yours progressing!  :icon_cool:  :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 02:02:34 PM »
I have a unit of 10 militia made early on that has 5 highwaymen in black coats carrying pistols (one hasn't gotten rid of his bow from the old days but still has a pistol, one with a blunder buss), and 5 boatmen who carry a menagerie of weapons.  The original plan was to make 5 more of each, although haven't gotten to it at this point.  Good to see yours progressing!  :icon_cool:  :::cheers:::

I'd love to see these fine chaps. Any chance of posting or sending pics?

Gneisenau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 02:43:24 PM »
Ha!  At some point, that is the intention.

Wiss and I had a game quite a few years ago, and pictures of my Empire figures were posted then, if I can find them.  If I recall, both of us had 1K point armies on the table top.  It might have been in connection to "The Solland Effort of 2524" ... ah, here they are ...

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=26245.msg435998#msg435998

My army are Averlanders and Wissenlander's are of course from Wissenland.  The militia can be seen in the first picture as a detachment to the spearsmen on the right.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 02:47:04 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 03:01:09 PM »
Good job

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 10:24:27 PM »
The four last guys have been graced with paint. Not a good picture, just something I quickly took:

Next, I'll be rebasing the whole score onto magnetic bases and order them on T9A movement trays.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 12:00:19 AM »
Of all the kits that were, I think the militia were the best. I only ever bought one because they were never good on the field but they were my favorite models.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2017, 11:20:46 AM »
I'm usually not a huge fan of militia in regular, provincial colors (they are irregulars after all), but these look exceptionaly well. :eusa_clap:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 04:00:13 PM by Xathrodox86 »

Gneisenau

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2017, 03:33:47 PM »
I feel you Xathrodox. If I were to scratch-do all of it with T9A 2.0 in mind, I would make them look a lot more irregular, but I'm kind of adapting what I already have. While I can be finicky at times about how my miniatures look, I've learned to compromise with myself when doing so yields large gains in army building efficiency. I've had to take a few looks in the mirror and come to terms with my ability to get miniatures into gaming-ready shape.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2017, 04:01:52 PM »
I know what you mean Konrad. I've also had to come to terms with a bunch of stuff, regarding my hobby time. It's a good idea, as it can really shed some new light on many things, like time constraints, the will to kitbash/paint etc.

Gneisenau

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2017, 08:01:49 PM »
I'm currently rebasing and ranking up (well, loose order ranking) the pistol militia guys. I have to say they look more regular than I expected. I had made some of them deliberately semi-regular by letting them have puffed, regular-coloured arms and irregular militia legs. Alas, from the angle they are usually looked at, the arms catch the eye easier, part due to being higher up and part due to being in brighter colours.

If I decide to make yet another unit of skirmishing pistol militia, I'll just straight up make 10 completely irregular guys and remix the 30 of them.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2017, 11:35:18 AM »
Now that's a lot of militia. Altough they are cheap, so it's probably a good thing to have lots of them.

Gneisenau

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2017, 01:47:00 PM »
I miss the militia kit so much. If I could wish for any GW product to be brought back, it would be the militia kit. There wasn't much you couldn't do with it.