home

Author Topic: Black Tree Design  (Read 3296 times)

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
Black Tree Design
« on: June 29, 2017, 08:38:58 AM »
https://eoeorbisuk.com/pages/about-us

So I previously bought some Skeletons for a present to my bro in law... from Balck Tree , after reading their team are ex GW etc...

The sculpts were great , like really great...

I just bought some of their Beastmen for a laugh....

They are big models, arguably, but again , very very good sculpts, GW metal quality ......

Has anyone else bought anything and could share your experiences?
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Re: Black Tree Design
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 08:45:40 AM »
I've got lots of their stuff - more the historical, but I do like their Fantasy Saracens - they have that GW over-the-top feel.

They had a bad spell a few years back when John moved to the USA, but they are organised now with a UK base down in Cornwall, and USA in Texas.

Get on their mailing list - he always has Sales going on, and if you wait for USA themed holidays sometimes stuff can be 50% or even up to 70%
He plays it a bit - infantry on offer, nothing off cavalry for example.
70% off a couple of sets from a range, 25% off the rest.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 11:01:43 AM »
I've got some skeleton halberdiers, which are a good match for the old GW "armoured skeletons" - which is what I was after.

I've recently been painting some of the "Orcs of the Crimson Wave" (or something like that) as half-orcs in my plog. Afain, nice figures.

Used to have a bunch of the ancient Germans & Celts, also very good figures.

I picked uo some of the halfling archers, which are a little oddly proportioned, but otherwise clean sculpts. I think I'm going to pick up a few packs of the other halflings, from their "not-Bretonnia" range, which look better proportioned. I don't have any, but I've heard nothing but good things about the not-Bretonnians. They're supposed to be an excellent match for the mid-hammer Citadel metals.

Some of the other ranges look to be good, while others appear to be more mixed quality. But there are a lot of gems from BTD.

FWIW, Black Tree are almost always on sale for 30-40% off, but they are currently runnng a 50% off sale on most fantasy & historical. That's usualy the point at which I place an order.  :wink:

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 05:36:52 PM »
I had some of their High Elves not-Swordmasters a long time ago. The were quite a bit smaller than their GW counterparts. but, you couldn't beat the price in these pre-plastic days.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 05:44:23 PM »
wow
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 09:57:10 PM »

In front of my computer at home, so I can poke around old photos easier...

The "half" orcs I mentioned I'm working on:

I believe these are all (or at least mostly) BTD celts:

I believe these are all a mix of BTD, Foundry, and a maybe a few Crusader ancient Gemans:

Long ago I painted a big O&G army (commission) that had a ton of BTD figures in it but I can't locate photos at the moment. They were pretty close to the WFB equivalents.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 01:10:14 AM »
I've enjoyed my BT figures ... WW2 Germans, a few of their ancient Persians, too.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Drakenhof

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 10:10:47 AM »
I have bought them some dwarfs, and they are really great. Also the halflings and the Men of Averaign (bretonnian proxies) are good models. Their prices are very competitive and if you like old school they have so many ranges that are very similar to Citadel and Marauder models from 3rd to 5th edition. They have a lot of ranges to be explored.

The problem is that the pics on their website don't make justice to the sculpted. For example, the best way to take a closer look to the dwarven figures the Stunties website: http://www.stunties.com/wiki/index.php/Black_Tree_Design. For other minis I would check the net.

An advise: there is the issue of the orders. They don't have (or at least didn't some time ago) an updated stock on their website, so I would strongly recommend you to check with them via mail before make an order.

Last time my order was delayed at total of two months... As far as I know, I am not not the only one that suffered some trouble of this kind. Nevertheless, they had a very nice detail, and after one month of delay they offered me a freebie pack as compensation (valued around 18£).

Anyway, I would suggest at least make a visit to their online store and keep updated... as was said, they always have sales going on.