home

Author Topic: war wagon help  (Read 11632 times)

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
war wagon help
« on: December 31, 2017, 01:50:50 AM »
Hey guys
I'm working on my war wagon and i'm having a bit of trouble [i've built the crew and the wagon itself out of odds and ends i've accumilated and i dont know how to arm the crew]
I cant seem to find specific rules for it and all google is doing is taking me to some glitchy wiki's.
Any help would be appreciated :smile2:

Offline Bartolo Miachevelia

• Members
Re: war wagon help
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 09:34:15 AM »
The rules for the War Wagon can be found on 5th edition empire armybook or 6th ravening hordes booklet. :happy:

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 10:35:48 AM »
or you could go to SOL and look at the picture:

That will show you what weapons the crew had and what they look like.
The individual stats for the weapons might be a bit trickier.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 10:38:32 AM by Midaski »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 12:54:23 PM »
Thanks guys
I had the old rule book but I must have misread or missed the rules. I'll just assemble the new crew to look like the old ones. If I can get a decent camera, i'll show pics when i'm done with it

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 03:09:03 PM »
The fact that they've never included this thing in latter editions of the game is a Sigmar-damned travesty. Such a cool concept, much better and fitting the Empire's theme, than the giant battle-chickens and magical altars. :dry:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 06:35:54 AM »
@Xathrox86
I made my one out of parts of the celestial hurricanum thingy [or whatever its called] and city ruins kits. I pieced the crew together from swordsmen parts. I'm not to sure on how to use it on the tabletop, so i'll be using it as a chariot.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 01:11:58 PM »
There are rules for it around somewhere.  And suspect could be adapted if need be for a different edition than when it came out.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 12:22:41 PM »
I think that the last rules for it were in the Warhammer Chronicles, for the 6th edition. Fidelis could probably say something more on that topic.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 10:53:00 PM »
Rules for War Wagon taken from Warhammer Ravening Hordes.

War Wagon 120 points, crew of 6 and 2 war horses.
Wagon S5  T4  W5
Crew    WS3  BS3 I3  Ld7
Warhorse  M8  WS3  S3  I3  A1
Special Rules.
War wagon is a chariot with armour save 3+ and does d6 impact hits when charges.
For the crew, each combat round roll 1d6, that is the number of attacks the crew make, resolved at d3+2 strength.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 02:09:33 AM »
^ Thanks, Scrubber

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 12:37:45 AM »
I like the old model, but is it worth it's points. Yes you get the nice impact charge, but for a crew of six models you only get 1d6 worth of combat miniatures.
That's bad when 3 of the miniatures have firing weapons. OK when the model was made we could not get Hochland Longrifle or Repeating Muskets, so that's 4 shots just there, both with armour piercing.
Not sure on the Blunderbuss, remember there being rules in a White Dwarf and it taking a turn to reload.
The other 3 weapons are combat. Ball and Chain, same rules as flail, +2 strength in the fire round of combat. Hooked Halberd, no rules, but at minimum same rules as halberd +1 strength. Man Catcher ? any one's guess.

So sorry in my humble opinion I would rather take a Master Engineer with either of the ranged weapons.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 11:41:54 AM »
Man catcher was killing blow.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 10:59:27 PM »
the blunderbuss you used the teardrop template. I believe everything under the template took a str 3 hit??
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 01:47:12 AM »
When I was showing my niece the old war wagon pictures, she asked me what the 'grabby weapon' was; to which I replied "Why that's a nose pincher; it pinches the enemies nose's at a distance of up two meters"

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 01:24:21 PM »
the blunderbuss you used the teardrop template. I believe everything under the template took a str 3 hit??

Yeah, but wasn't it for the 5th edition? Or did they released the Ravening Hordes around that time as well?

Gneisenau

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 05:36:54 PM »
I think it was 4th edition. The 6th edition Steam Tank had the following rules for a blunderbuss: (move or fire, Flame template, S3, armour piercing).
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 05:55:21 PM »
Ravening Hordes did have the War Wagon, but not the blunderbuss.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 10:32:48 PM »
The War Wagon if I'm correct had gone by 6th edition, and the Von Zeppel Steam Tank appeared, crewed by 6 Trainee Engineers. Rules in Warhammer Annual 2002.

As for the War Wagon it would not matter what a weapon was capable of as you roll 1d6 and that's the number of attacks that the total crew of the wagon made, not each figure.

Perhaps we should re-raise the war wagon with other less known engineer weapons as neither the Hochland long rifle and the repeater hand gun are that rare anymore.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 02:59:05 PM »
Ravening Hordes did have the War Wagon, but not the blunderbuss.

Ravening hordes was a dumb down version where all the guys were treated the same with no exotic weaponry? ...am I right? 
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 03:00:09 PM »
question: is the warwagon back in 9th age? .... I have three and would love to be able to use it lol
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 03:42:51 PM »
Ravening hordes was a dumb down version where all the guys were treated the same with no exotic weaponry? ...am I right?

Yes, as srubber said. The 4th edition War Wagon had the same array of experimental weapons as the 6th edition Steam Tank rules (although with different wording). 

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2018, 06:08:54 PM »
Games workshop rules for War Wagon.
Ravening Hordes rules is as Zak said, a dumbed down version of the rules. This supplement was only for quick play and to get people started in the hobby.
Final set of full rules, that allows you to fire the weapons is in the Warhammer Armies book "The Empire." It's the one with bright wizard and character in black armour using a foot-mans maul. [Help Fidelis, I never know which book is attached to which set of rules.]
The last set of rules I can find with the Steam Tank version of the War-Wagon is in 2002 Annual.
Perhaps one of the Mods can tell us if it's OK to copy and show the rules here without upsetting GW.

PS. In the book Uniforms and Heraldry of The Empire, it shows a picture of an Engineer with, quote "Grenade Launching Blunderbuss". Now this would make more sense on the War-Wagon than a plain old blunderbuss. Heaven knows how an outriders is supposed to hold that thing one handed. Fire it and still ride and control a horse.
Here is another thought. Since it's experimental how about the mechanical horse to pull it instead of warhorse's in armour.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 06:25:03 PM by scrubber »

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 09:26:31 PM »
As I said, it is the 4th edition Empire Army Book. The 6th Edition BRB was released in 2000, and all army books were initially replaced by the get-by list in Ravening Hordes (for free!). The 2002 Annual is what I called the 6th edition Steam Tank, because it contains offical rules for the Steam Tank during the 6th edition. The Heraldry of the Empire is part of the 7th edition, where only Engineers where able to take the Grenade Lauching Blunderbuss, even though the Outrider models did indeed have a similarly shaped weapon. Only in 8th edition, the Outrider Sharpshooter was allowed to get the GLB. The fact that the GLB  is a "Move or Fire" weapon helps the verismilitude for including that option.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 03:57:15 AM »
I know the rule book you speak of. It was the one I took inspiration from to build the war wagon. I just had trouble finding the rules for it. I collect Empire rule books. I have pretty much everyone released in the past 20-something years. The one from 2007 [or is it 2008] I dislike the most as it has too much focus on special characters.

Not to veer off topic too much
But what Scrubber said about the grenade launcher carried by a horseman raises the question of all those other weapons which would be near impossible to wield. Halberdiers with shields in one hand, etc. The empire is an OH&S nightmare

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 09:51:24 AM »
I would not overestimate the problem. As I indicated, the Outriders can only fire the GLB, if they have not moved. Using two hands to fire a weapon should not be an issue from a standing horse. Indeed, in reality, expert riders should be able to do it even on the move.
And as the "Requires Two hands" special rule says (BRB p.75):
"If a weapon requires two hands to use, it is not possible for a model to use a shield or an additional hand weapon alongside it in close combat (although a shield can still be used against wounds caused by shooting or magic). We assume that the warrior in question slings the spare wargear on his back, or simply drops it, until the fight is done."