home

Author Topic: Inventing a new campaign concept, please give your opinion  (Read 895 times)

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
Inventing a new campaign concept, please give your opinion
« on: April 21, 2005, 10:20:40 PM »
As the title says, I'm thinking of a new campaign concept. If it's already invented, hit me. Anyways, here it is:

CAMPAIGN: ATTRITION

The campaign is played by two opposing factions of the Warhammer world, for example Empire VS Dark Elves. Each of the four players in their own faction makes an army list (variants of the same are allowed, e.g. one using standard and one CoU Empire).

1. Playing:

Each player plays a battle against an opponent from the enemy faction. The battle is otherwise a pitched battle, but victory points are not counted. Rather, the battle ends after the 6 turns, with no player technically "winning" the battle. Rather, every model that has fallen or fled off the table is permanently lost for the remainder of the campaign. Units losing models will start future battles with the number of models they had at the end of the earlier battle, you get the point.

If a general dies, the controller of the army may appoint a new general among characters tied for the highest Ld. A battle standard bearer may only be the general in case he is the only character left in the army.

2. Consolidating:

After each battle, each player merges armies with another randomly determined one from their faction, forming a new army for all purposes (which might become illegal due to going beyond your choices, but nevermind). The new army will be commanded by the one of the two players whose general has the highest Ld. If tied, the player with the highest remaining number of points in the army gets to take command. The other one plays to further part in the campaign, but may obviously whine and moan over getting displaced.

An army can only have one BSB. If both armies have one, the controller of the new army has to choose which one to use as BSB in each battle. The other BSB simply counts as a hero with a unit standard, giving his usual +1 CR as well as the effects of any magical standard, though he does not confer the ability to re-roll break tests. However, should the BSB in charge get slain, the inactive BSB will be able to act as the army BSB in further battles.

After merging the armies into one, return to point 1 and play on, unless there is only one army left in both factions, in which case proceed to point 3 below.

3. The final battle:

After many bloody battles, the remaining forces of both factions have gathered for a final battle. This battle is played with the deployment of pitched battles, but has no time limit. The game ends when either army is completely destroyed or having ran off the table, and the surviving team stand victorious.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 11:00:07 PM »
Intriguing idea.  I like the thought of having the casualties really mean something.  Maybe to throw a bit of variety in it you could play some skirmish scenarios or smaller scale battles.  That way it doesn't seem too repetitive to have pitched battle after pitched battle.  I've never heard of this before personally, so I think you've got originality.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 11:00:48 PM »
Very interesting! Just don't let undead play...
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Ceridan the Green One

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 04:53:25 AM »
Nice, just when I'm trying to come up with the rules for my great campain, two of our local club members have come up with theirs.

But I have to say, that's one fine campain you got there Konrad. Perhaps we should try it out sometime. Or I might against DE :twisted:
All my foes share one thing:
They´re all afraid of me!

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 10:04:15 AM »
Though I like the idea of casualties actually accounting for something one should keep in mind that soldiers who 'fell in battle' were not always killed.

Unlike the movies would like us believe, a man with a sword who is wounded in his sword arm would likely retire from the combat as he's become rather useless.

Models that flee from the field may be rounded up later.

Fleeing men who are 'caught' by the enemy are likely to have people surviving who scattered another way, hid or played dead.

A Knight whose horse has been killed and can't get another one is unlikely to play a large role in the battle anymore.

Etc. etc. etc.

Therefore I'd recommend that all models that were slain or have fled are only truly lost on the basics of a dice roll. Say on a 4+ the model is fit/caught/ready again for the next battle.
You can make this dice roll as lenient or harsh as you want of course but I think it adds a nice element to this kind of campaign! :-D
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 10:45:10 AM »
Well, it's certainly an interesting campaign system and a refreshing change from the norm! The only problem I see is that most combats tend to end with one side badly mauled and the other relatively unscathed! You might get balance issues very quickly when two big armies merge into a huge one and end up fighting an opposing force that barely amounts to a battalion.

PS: I'm still ticked off about GW robbing my St. Oliver campaign system for their accursed "node campaign" concept. Mine is much better.
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 03:14:39 PM »
Perhaps BAWTRM's recovery idea could be used to counter the unbalance caused by early victories. Though, the main reason for why I thought of doing the mergers was to make players play and make a battle plan around what they have at the moment, rather than tailor the armies from the beginning.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 08:59:48 PM »
We did, or rather planned one very similar.

Except what we did was special and rare choices that were lost on the field were lost altogether, but core choices could be re-recruited.

However, due to too many disagreement before hand, it came to nothing  :(
Without so much as a damn your eyes for the inconvenience