home

Author Topic: My work so far; the Southern army mess.  (Read 32034 times)

Offline Slavik

• Members
My work so far; the Southern army mess.
« on: April 27, 2011, 06:53:44 PM »
Welcome to my blog

Now that the plan for my army is clear, I decided to change this post to a list of my army forces that are being made, slowly but steady.
I've never planned to go to a tournament and I don't know how competetive this army is going to be, but I'm sure I want it to be somewhat fluffy.

So this is thee build up for my Wissenland army

Done   
WIP
Yet to be bought
Not yet assembled

Forces of Wissenburg

White/Grey/Red

Wissenburg City Guard - 30/40 Halberdiers (Waiting for more models)
Wissenburg Lightfoot - 10 Handgunners
Wissenburg Black Sleeves - 30 Greatswords
Wissenburg Fort/city Battery - Great Cannon/Mortar

Southern Garrisons

White/Grey/Red/Orange

Steingart's Swords - 40 Swordsmen + 10 Detachment Crossbows
Wissenland Combined Grand Battery - Helstorm/Helblaster
Sterntower Marksmen - 10 Scouts
Southern Calvary Regiment - 5 Outriders

Additional Forces

Knights of the Blazing Sun - 12 Knights

Flagellants - 20 Flagellants

Volunteers

White/Grey/Blue/Green

Wittenhausen Freecompany/Dotternbach Militia - 40 Militia mixed unit

Black/White/Purple

Nuln Armored Support Platoon - 10 Nuln Ironsides, Steamtank

and of course various Heroes,Lords..

The story behind this army is that (suprisingly) an invasion attempt from south is threatening Wissenland. The province finds itself in a desperate situation, with lack of officers and troops. The General in Wissenburg realizes that he has to meet the enemy in the southern forests, surrounded by their guard towers. Wissenburg can't just stand and wait, it's no massive fortress and the Countess is too "busy" to listen the news from the front.  The General hopes that the use of Wissenburg main force and the aid of Southern garrison's hit and run tactics might prevail. In the hour of need the general sends a message to Nuln for support.

Full fluff coming sometime later

Knights WIP pic

Don't have a groupshot of the finished ones, but here's a closer look on one of them

I started  the Wissenland army with the handgunners

the only Hero model I've painted so far

and last my current project , 30 Halberdiers

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 07:10:38 AM by Slavik »
The reason for my uniform being a slightly different color to yours is never explained.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
Re: My work so far; the Southern army mess.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 07:00:30 PM »
Looking good, man! Some very neat highlights. :::cheers:::

It's a bit hard to see, but I think you did an excellent job on the comet on the drum parchment. Brush or pen, if I may ask?

With that paint quality, you might consider filling the gaps in future infantry models (e.g. where the handgunner arms join the torso) with a little greenstuff.

Offline General Tomerix Rotenkopf

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 07:25:03 PM »
This looks very good! Skillful painting! I think you should go for the mixed army; maybe choose on province where most units come from and then have several other mercenary or "on the march" supporting units.
Hobbits are stupid, Talabecs are thieves and Averlanders reek of horse shit.

Offline Dark Apostle

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 08:06:36 PM »
Go for Wissenland - the best province there is!  :biggriin:

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 08:32:35 PM »
Great work.

For those legs you want to repaint grey, don't worry about removing the old paint, just paint over it. Unless you have some really thick coats of paint you won't notice it and it's not going to obscure any detail. I've had some miniatures where I just couldn't decide what color to paint something and I have three or four layers of different colors. You'd be none the wiser if you looked at them. I paint with thinned paints though so it isn't a big deal for me.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 09:09:32 PM »
Like it go for it  :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline Slavik

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 09:30:55 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, it really makes me happy! In the beginning had some hardtime with the painting side of this hobby ( as well as getting my ass whooped by WoC on tabletop).

It's a bit hard to see, but I think you did an excellent job on the comet on the drum parchment. Brush or pen, if I may ask?

With that paint quality, you might consider filling the gaps in future infantry models (e.g. where the handgunner arms join the torso) with a little greenstuff.

Yeah point noted, At first I was just too lazy to notice them or too excited to just get to  paint the models and I didnt bother. But now that some of them are finished I really see why I should have filled them. I have to get some greenstuff, I also tend to let slip those moldlines here and there. I did the comet with a 000 Coat D'arms professional brush, really like their range of brushes.

For the mixed army question I've been mumbling with. I'm going to atleast split Wissenland into 2 forces, The Capital City that forms the big regiments and then the combined southern garrisons who have the hit'n'run units.  I've also been thinking of having atleast Steamtank from Nuln and maybe some other warmachinery or support... and here we go again. But I'm really thinking of dropping out the yellowscheme, it was supposed to be some sort of mercenary unit detached from the Knightly Order but I just found it too loose fluffwise. And I can't afford to have Goldenswords from several other forces, so I want them to be from the main army. 

@Delthos 
I had this in my mind, but didn't dare to try yet. But you are right. The black side of the trousers is nearly just basecoat,
the yellow side has atleast 2 layers  and a wash on the basecoat. I'll try when I get my hands on them again.

@Dark Apostle
Right on that neighbour   :::cheers:::
The reason for my uniform being a slightly different color to yours is never explained.

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 10:06:41 PM »
Go for Wissenland - the best province there is!  :biggriin:

Totally agree  :::cheers:::

Your painting is beautiful, keep it up whatever theme you decide to do. I particularly love the skin on the warrior priest, looks very realistic  :eusa_clap:

Hope to see more from this army soon.
The Barony of Sonnefurt - My Army Background

Sonnefurt in Flames- An Epic Tale of Sonnefurt

Le Pistolet's Monotonous Wissenland Log- My Minis

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 07:28:32 AM »

Handgunners look awesome!

Can you please re take the pics using some spotlights and natural lighting?

The images do not do your models justice.

Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 07:49:37 AM »
Excellent work !

Keep it up, whatever you choose to do.
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Slavik

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 12:29:27 PM »
Again thanks for the comments! Really appreciate them  :smile2:

I particularly love the skin on the warrior priest, looks very realistic  :eusa_clap:

Thank you, I  managed to drop this guy on the floor during the painting process ::heretic:: and had to repaint some of the skin  on the arms.

Handgunners look awesome!

Can you please re take the pics using some spotlights and natural lighting?

The images do not do your models justice.

Apart the first pic and the last WIP pics, all the others were actually taken in natural lighting. The other lightsources I have in my apartment do no good. The table spot I use for painting makes them look too yellowish and the others shine in all blue light. So  I tried to take these as close to the window as possible (those green backdrops are my curtains). But it was early spring at the time so I'll try to get some better lighting since its summer soon  :::cheers:::

Offline Silver Wolf

• Members
  • I see lead people.
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 06:30:57 PM »
They look really nice ! Good job !   :eusa_clap:
You've got skill man... Color surfaces look really smooth and your highlights are accurate.
"Watch the skies, traveler."
Check out my wargaming blog - The Forge of War

Offline Erik Von Karlson

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 01:24:40 AM »
Awesome work so far!  :eusa_clap: I especially like the warrior priest, do you know where you got him or how you modled him, I recognise the head from the greatsword kit, but nothing else.
My Middenland Army: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=37453.0

There is no facepalm that can fully illustrate the state of mind I am currently in...

Offline Slavik

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 11:03:11 AM »
Thanks!

Small update,
nearly finished first 10 of these. I tried to be speedy on these guys since they are only going to be in the back rank. Which they fit in quite well I think.

These old models were painted in the colors of Talabheim by my friend's little brother or himself (He doesn't remember anymore) I had to scratch the paint of and repaint them, the old paint had sticked in quite well and didn't come off as planned so it makes the surface look less smooth at some parts. 

And a retaken pic of the handgunners. Any better Mr. Chumley?

To be honest I have a problem highlighting those guns, I'll have to practice painting wooden surface when I get to my warmachines.

Offline Slavik

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 11:10:43 AM »
Oh and the Warrior Priest model is the War Priest model from the Avatars of War. And yes that is a Greatsword head, I think the original one that came with the kit looked like his head is going to explode.

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 11:39:41 AM »
Much better photos :happy:

I do love seeing beautifully painted Wissenlanders, more soon please.
The Barony of Sonnefurt - My Army Background

Sonnefurt in Flames- An Epic Tale of Sonnefurt

Le Pistolet's Monotonous Wissenland Log- My Minis

Offline Zoring

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
Lovely painting. Love the grey and white of Wissenland. Since Averland borders it is easy to imagine units from Averland being in a Wissenland army so i woulden't worry too much about it. Just leave it as is. A bit of variation won't hurt the overall look of the army at all.

Offline Dark Apostle

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 03:22:09 PM »
Looking good! Go Wissenland  :eusa_clap:
Regarding the wood on  the handguns: how about painting it like wood grain? For my wood I use a basecoat of Chardon granite with thin lines of Khemri brown

Offline Slavik

• Members
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 05:43:33 PM »
Thanks for the tips and all.  I'll try to get back to the handguns as well later.  Now more halberdiers on the way!

Offline Slavik

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 06:31:54 PM »
I think it's time for an update now. Just completed the second rank of the halberdiers.

Trying some variation on the uniforms

Don't know why, but for some reason I had a little struggle painting white this time
(I might be in a rush to get these guys on the field all painted)

Anyway, what do you think?

Offline anvalous

• Members
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 06:48:49 PM »
Looking sharp!  (Both the blades and the painting quality!)

Offline cjp

• Members
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 07:11:58 PM »
Definitely like your blazing sons nights, particularly the standard bearer. Did you make the banner, or is that from the newer kinghts box? (i've never seen the new box set bits I don't think)...

Offline cjp

• Members
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 07:14:02 PM »
nevermind, I see on the GW site that thats the normal knight's standard. I guess I never noticed it before.  Well done. :)

Offline Generalbear

• Members
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 07:57:13 AM »
i wouldnt mind knowing how you acheived yours greys and whites my friend

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
nice work here mate!
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.