home

Author Topic: middenland/hiem army  (Read 15060 times)

Offline nichorn

• Members
middenland/hiem army
« on: June 04, 2011, 10:28:30 PM »
Been looking around for a bit and thought it was time to put mine own army up for critique.
started on this army a couple of years ago did the halberdiers, cannon but not crew and the wizard and priest.

am still happy with the way this guy turned out, he's curently leading the army

my fire wizard. tried to get the flames to have an oily look. always does me proud in battle.

my first unit for the army my halberdiers not everyones first choice i know.

my first banner for the force was really happy with it at the time not sure now tho. painted on both sides. any ideas how to improve it or is ok as is?

Restarted painting for the army a couple of months ago, the way i've painted the units is slighty different am happier with it this way, looks a bit like velvet.

not done the banner yet not sure whether to put the same wolf on or something else, also a few little bits to finish off, eyes and script.

and there detachment. find they often do more damage then the unit lol.

my handgunners am really pleased with the wood of the guns

my artillary the cannon needs the wood doing and i might repaint the wolf as if it's part of the cannon. the hellblaster was done quickly for a game not to happy with it gonna washing over the wood, darken it down abit.

well thats it so far, what do you think?

Offline Silver Wolf

• Members
  • I see lead people.
Re: middenland/hiem army
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 10:34:15 PM »
Good job ! I really like the blue color... And the standard is awesome too...  :eusa_clap:
"Watch the skies, traveler."
Check out my wargaming blog - The Forge of War

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 11:12:51 PM »
The wolf standard is phenomenal.  I like the cannon, too - don't see why you'd redo anything about the wolf on it.

I think I like the first blue better than the second, but they're both quite good.  I really like the free companies, too - the paint scheme for the browns and leathers really makes the models stand out.  I'd be quite envious to see this army across the table from me.   :happy:
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------

Offline Sajek

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 11:58:56 PM »
That looks fantastic!

How did you get the wolf on the cannon? Green stuff??

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 07:21:39 AM »
wolf cannon!! :happy: :happy:

:eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 07:37:33 AM »
That Wolf banner looks great, don't see why you'd want to change it?  :unsure:

Offline Willem I

• Members
  • Sovereign Prince of the Netherlands
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 07:57:10 AM »
Nice army! Really has a cohesive look as a force. Keep up the good work.
History in the making: Averland 8th Militia

In my sword, the wind.
In my heart, courage.
In my eyes, death.
I am Matsu.

~ from Kakito Marushijins play, No Mans Bride

Offline nichorn

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 09:07:38 AM »
thanks for looking and commenting
That Wolf banner looks great, don't see why you'd want to change it?  :unsure:
was thinking that it doesn't look very banner like. seems to be appreciated here tho so it'll stay as is for the mo.

@sajek. yeah the wolfs put on with green stuff, was easier than i thought it was gonna be as most of it was fur.

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 09:22:03 AM »
That must have been a huge wolf :engel:

Really well done!
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 11:46:12 AM »
Really awesome stuff!! Also like the wolfshead on the banner!, if you want to adjust it do something with the background / edges of the banner. But would be a waste on the wolfshead.

Also like the clean paint of the whole army and the theme is very striking especially with the wolfscannon!!

Also added you to the sticky! (Under Middenheim as it's more/only white/blue then just blue)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:48:39 AM by StealthKnightSteg »
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline SlimShady

• Members
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 12:56:53 PM »
  I really like the cannon.   :::cheers:::

Offline Battlekruse

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 07:18:50 PM »
I really like that Middenheim Wolf banner (It must have taken some time).

Also that cannon with the wolfskin is really great work, wish that I could something off like this.

Offline nichorn

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 07:36:12 PM »
Also added you to the sticky! (Under Middenheim as it's more/only white/blue then just blue)
new to this, maybe a stupid question but whats a sticky?

I really like that Middenheim Wolf banner (It must have taken some time).

Also that cannon with the wolfskin is really great work, wish that I could something off like this.

thanks it took a while to find the pic i wanted but the actual painting was fairly painless, a dark grey silhouette then lots of little brush strokes of varing colour

Offline Battlekruse

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 07:50:13 PM »
On a sidenote when I was looking on the unit filler at the Cannon, there was a sword rack with a basket. Is that coal or gunpowder there is lying there?. It is also seen in the other unit filler with the drum with the tip-over basket.

Kinda careless of the crew............  :blush:

Offline nichorn

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 08:07:10 PM »
On a sidenote when I was looking on the unit filler at the Cannon, there was a sword rack with a basket. Is that coal or gunpowder there is lying there?. It is also seen in the other unit filler with the drum with the tip-over basket.

Kinda careless of the crew............  :blush:
yeah it's gunpowder for the use of the cannon,hbvg  wanted to do a senic base but didn't want restriction on were i could place the model while gaming went for a compromise.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 08:43:53 AM »
new to this, maybe a stupid question but whats a sticky?

It's a thread that stays to the top of this sub forum :)
Anyway the thread is called: Links to Personal painting blogs
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Jamesy52

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 10:03:09 AM »
My main piece of advice for this army is water your paint down more. The close ups on the warrior priest and the wizard shows the paint looking quite thick. It may be a pain in the arse building up the layers but from looking at your work you do have a talent for this and it is a shame to see it be marred by a thick layer of paint. You have the highlighting down perfectly and the blue is very striking. Your white is quite good too. How did you achieve these colours?

Your main strengths are your free hand and green stuff skills. The wolf on that banner is amasing and the wolf cannon is immense. Keep up the good work and remember don't be afraid to add plenty of water to your paint.
Stand firm Sons of Sigmar! Drive back the darkness with bright steel and honest courage!
          - Father Karl Untervesh

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 10:53:44 AM »
Very Big Like for Canon  :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline Etrigan001

• Members
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
Very nice well-painted army!

One thing though, you mentioned you might repaint the cannon/wolf.
Wolf looks fine. Maybe use a brassy color for the cannon barrel to make it stand out more.

Offline nichorn

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 01:06:15 PM »
thanks for the feed back it's very welcome. Glad you all like the army havee put some hours in on it. thanks steg.
My main piece of advice for this army is water your paint down more. The close ups on the warrior priest and the wizard shows the paint looking quite thick. It may be a pain in the arse building up the layers but from looking at your work you do have a talent for this and it is a shame to see it be marred by a thick layer of paint. You have the highlighting down perfectly and the blue is very striking. Your white is quite good too. How did you achieve these colours?
both are from a couple of years ago, will try on my next character, either gonna be a converted captain but need to do the conversion first, also have a marco columbo which i'm planning to use as an engineer he maybe next.
the model was primed in black then was painted scorched brown the base coats were then put on. white and regal blue. whole model was washed with a mix of black and brown wash. original colour was put back on, whites now done. the blue then had a layer of enchanted blue followed by ice. all out the pot colours for ease.
Very nice well-painted army!

Thanks kirgan

One thing though, you mentioned you might repaint the cannon/wolf.
Wolf looks fine. Maybe use a brassy color for the cannon barrel to make it stand out more.
yeah was thinking about painting the wolf in metallics possibly not sure tho.

Offline Jamesy52

• Members
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 10:24:54 AM »
Ah right, well I look forward to seeing your next character. Thanks for the tutorial on your colour scheme. Your models do look great.
Stand firm Sons of Sigmar! Drive back the darkness with bright steel and honest courage!
          - Father Karl Untervesh

Offline nichorn

• Members
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 09:01:07 PM »
well it's been a while since i posted on here and since i've touched my empire. have decided is past time for some more work on the army. am starting by finally doing some white wolf cav got 6 assembled prior to green stuffing. don't really like the white wolf sprue so am modifiying them myself. have used the armoured knights arms and repositioned with the aid of pins. the hammers will have a wolves head sculpted on to it. am doing a 16 man unit of these guys.
what da you think?

Offline somegeezer

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 09:20:36 PM »
Polo team of the White Wolf!  :-D
My Middenheim plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=45674.0

Sporadic ramblings about wargaming (not just Warhammer):
http://wgrevival.wordpress.com/

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 09:39:10 PM »
Polo team of the White Wolf!  :-D

That is what came to my mind as well.  I would shorten the handle of the hammer/ lance you used to make it less like a polo stick and more like a two handed hammer.  Other than that the idea is solid and very original.  I like it lots  :::cheers:::
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline nichorn

• Members
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 09:53:13 PM »
yeah i guess they do look like polo players lol. am sculpting wolf heads over the hammerheads so should look less mallets