home

Author Topic: Nuln question  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Morgue

• Members
    • Morgue Art
Nuln question
« on: March 15, 2012, 09:48:30 PM »
Hi all,

I have seen many Nuln armies painted in black/red and black/yellow, but I wanted to ask if there was anything fluff wise or other that would prevent me going for black/blue colour scheme?

thanks in advance!

Morgue
if it aint broke...break it

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: Nuln question
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 09:57:37 PM »
In the Uniforms and Heraldry of the Empire is a Nuln coat of arms of a canon on a blue field and the depiction of a Nuln marksman in black, brown and blue. So, why not?
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Hoodling

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 10:10:01 PM »
I'm sure I read somewhere that Nuln troops wear black to hide all the marks from too much gunpowder being used around them, and that any colours might be used as accents.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 10:17:17 PM »
To quote the source above: The uniforms of soldiers from Nuln are black. Although whether this is by age-old design or more practical needs to hide the soot from fighting alongside so many cannons (or from the polluted city itself) is uncertain.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Alarick

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 01:06:43 AM »
Well, The Uniforms & Heraldry of the Empire said that Nuln's privaters use black, red and green colors in their uniforms and black, white, red, green, yellow and blue colors for their shields and banners...

Offline Timothias

• Members
  • Iron Company of Nuln
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 06:31:01 AM »
A few of the illustrations in 'U&HoTE' depict uniforms of black with blue flashings and trimmings, so I'd say go for it. The colours are predominantly black but the trims can supposedly differ from unit to unit and potentially company to company.

I'd say go for it! The various nobles or commanders would certainly have their own ways of distinguishing their company from the others of the City State.

But I wouldn't get too colourful unless you want it ruined by all that soot and oil! Practicality counts...

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 08:35:28 AM »
At least one of the army books mentions that uniforms can vary wildly from unit to unit and even within the same units. SO as long as the primary color is black, you should be able to do whatever you want. My first army color scheme was black and blue, and before I decided to go independent, I called it a Nuln army.
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 01:18:01 PM »
google up the Brunswick army in the Napoleonic wars. steveb

Offline Auberoun

• Members
  • Moguling the crap out of life.
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 02:12:14 PM »
For a time, when I was going to go with Nuln, I was going to have the primary color black, and different accent colors for different units.

Black w/ Red accents for Halberdiers
Black w/ Green for Spearmen...etc...

The world you believe is reality is a puppet show!

Offline Morgue

• Members
    • Morgue Art
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 12:28:11 PM »
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I will post the progress shortly under a new WIP.

Cheers!

Morgue

Offline Morgue

• Members
    • Morgue Art
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 06:32:59 PM »
google up the Brunswick army in the Napoleonic wars. steveb

Great Steve, thanks!