home

Author Topic: Historical board games - maps and counters  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Historical board games - maps and counters
« on: September 03, 2018, 12:51:22 AM »
This isn’t miniature gaming but it is historical and about war. In a bid to get reinthused (hopefully just the summer duldrums) I dug out and old solitaire board game that I got in 1987. It is the historical Raid on St Nazaire with a flotilla of bosts loaded with commandos and fire teams that raid the port in order to put it out of service as a port for u-boats. You act as the British and your actions set off activation levels as the port defences wake up to what’s happening. Floodlights, dockside defence guns and stosstruppen start to make life difficult. I’ve played it 3 times and yet to achieve a victory. In RL they achieved about 54 vp but in the game a 70 is the target.

Initial game set up :

Game turn 2

Thing you don’t want participating

Turn sequence and boat log
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Historical board games - maps and counters
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 01:58:29 AM »
Ha!  It's an old Avalon Hill game, but I don't recall it.  Seems like an interesting approach.

I sneaked in at the last minute to this kickstarter ... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1456271622/1759-siege-of-quebec-1-to-2-player-game?ref=user_menu ... because it had a solitaire option.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 02:29:19 AM »
Very cool GP👆

That looks like a game I would like.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 12:34:21 PM »
I would have posted it here, except I found the kickstarter with only 16 minutes remaining.

Turns out if you hit the blue "Pre-order here" button in the upper right hand corner on the kickstarter page, it takes you to a "Pre-order" website, and it is still available at the reduced cost of $55.  It'll be available regularly at some point for $65.  And for some reason it is not available for pre-order on their regular site.

Worthington Publishing has a decent selection of games.  I haven't ordered any of their other games yet.   Been resisting for the moment.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 10:15:41 PM »
Game turn 3+4
The boats make it to their landing zones (most of them) and the cambleton rams the southern caisson with only a few crew left and an entire demo squad wiped out. Some of the dockside guns are destroyed and out of action as well as a searchlight.
1 torpedo boat goes on fire then sinks before it can unload its torpedos in the lock gates in zone z.
Assault squads and demo teams head for their objectives while the activation of stosstruppen goes up a notch.

Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 06:19:48 PM »
Been awhile but thought I would plant this here. My friend Brian is at it again and this looks interesting.

https://brtrain.wordpress.com/2019/12/09/the-afghanistan-papers/
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020