home

Author Topic: My dragons........  (Read 4964 times)

Offline steveb

• Members
My dragons........
« on: June 20, 2015, 05:25:15 PM »
I am going to slowly compile my dragons here, I hope that they will entertain and inspire......if you have a dragon you are proud of ,  you are welcome to share here as well.  steveb

This first is a golden dragon, all metal I am not totally sure of the manufacturer...I think it may be GW or Citadel.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: My dragons........
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 05:54:12 PM »
Hmm, shiny.

Is it doing an impression of a snail? Clever dragon.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 07:23:55 PM »
Looks like one of the old Tom Meier dragons...

http://www.solegends.com/citdragon/dg4blackdragon/index.htm

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 08:18:24 PM »
Great thread idea! I do love my dragons, though I rarely find an excuse to paint one. My collection is mostly unpainted in boxes in the loft.

If I may join in, here's my Citadel DRAG4 Great Fire Dragon.

Yeah, in the mid 1980s that was considered a big dragon: it looks kinda lost on that 50x75mm base. I painted this one to use with my Beastmen army for the Transformation of Kadon spell.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 07:34:29 AM »
Is anybody else glad that Steve actually meant dragons here? Rather than...something else?

That dragon is great, Shadesypre. Didn't know Citadel actually had good models for dragons. Like the model Steve showed. God, that was horrible.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 09:45:54 AM »
Well, that range Steve showed is quite ugly I suppose, it depends on how you think dragons should look. I collect dragon minis so I've got all shapes and sizes - one day I shall stop painting minis for games and just paint dragons. I've got at least 60 of them...

Don't want to hog Steve's thread, but here are the three Zombie Dragons I've painted for my Vampires this year...

Citadel Zombie Dragon (originally came with a rider)

Grenadier "Chaos" Dragon

Tom Meier's Zombie Dragon

And finally

The Imperial Dragon - this is a conversion of a Grenadier Miniatures Teronus "The Ultimate Dragon"

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 10:26:08 AM »
Here is my reaper dragon which I posted a week or so ago in my blog.  Great dragons Steveb as well as the others who bring me nostalgia of the 80's

We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 11:19:22 AM »
Very nice! I haven't really started collecting the Reaper dragons yet, but I can see that I should!  :::cheers:::

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 01:44:13 PM »
all very nice so far, I really liked the early dragons even with their faults, in the begining (sounds like the bible) no one had yet set  standards for what a dragon should look like, Grenadier did a fantastic ring series of dragons covering all the types in D&D at the time, other people did experiments with things like tin foil wings, models so big you had to build in supports as they would sag because of their own weight, they also went all the way down to baby dragons as big as your thumb nail, and eggs with hatchlings.  The early all metal days were a fun period to start collecting. steveb

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 03:18:21 PM »
I think they were hit & miss, but definitely some real jems from alot of those old companies -- Citadel, Grenadier, Ral Partha, etc.

models so big you had to build in supports as they would sag because of their own weight

One of my favorite dragons is the Ral Partha "Black Dragon of Fire and Darkness" but the wings are so big, thin, and made of lead that they kept sagging. After trying to fix them a few times, one of them actually broke from metal fatigue. I just recently took it apart and hope to work out a good fix & repaint for it some day. This is not my pic, but shows why I like it so much -- the pose and anatomy really look related to real world lizards. https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1242/969137755_7514283406_z.jpg

At this point, ALL of my dragons are in various states of stripping & disassembly, so I don't have any of my own dragon pics to contribute at this time. But I've been in a dragon mood lately, and I'm enjoying other people's pics & hope to see more!

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 01:54:13 PM »
ZeroTwentthree, I am in the same boat, I constantly find dragons stuffed away that I intended to get to long before this.

Today I would like to post an oriental dragon conversion that did not come out too well, it is my plan to strip and rebuild at sometime in the near future.  As a side note oriental dragons do not have wings, they levitate.  They also seen to have catfish whiskers and all kinds of excessive tumorous growths all over their limbs.  Anyway I am fond of this early plastic kit bash and wanted to show it before I decommision it.     
Also to the left you will see a very early metal dragon painted up as a gold dragon, does any one here know the manufacturer and year of production, I am guessing late 70's early 80's.  steveb

This is a black dragon that I decided to finish up, just a late night two beer kind of job. steveb
http://s212.photobucket.com/user/STEVEB20/media/second%20album/DSC05726.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1805
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:43:58 PM by steveb »

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 03:15:20 PM »
VERY COOL!!!

I love seeing all of the various dragon options!

I mostly only have the latest GW dragons, but I still love 'em! 

High Elf Prince on Start Dragon:

High Elf Dragon Mage:

Wood Elf Glade Lord on Forest Dragon:

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 03:19:06 PM »
Out of the dragons I am most excited about, this one takes the cake.  I can't wait to order one for Karl!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jeremyglen/creature-caster-first-wave/posts/1238448