home

Author Topic: Oldhammer, Middlehammer & Newhammer  (Read 951 times)

Offline Karak Norn Clansman

• Members
Oldhammer, Middlehammer & Newhammer
« on: June 10, 2022, 08:36:50 PM »
Being a summary of the most widely recognized formal period classification of Warhammer Fantasy Battles (WHFB) and Age of Sigmar (AoS), used for both forums and Facebook groups:

- Editions 1-3 of WHFB are Oldhammer (1983-1992), roughly the era of Bryan Ansell.

- Editions 4-8 of WHFB are Middlehammer (1992-2015), the era of Tom Kirby.

- All editions of AoS are Newhammer (2015-), the era of Kevin Rountree.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: Oldhammer, Middlehammer & Newhammer
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 11:56:17 PM »
Except all that is, IMO, debatable. I, for example, see myself as fully 'Oldhammer' even though I am presently running an 8th ed' campaign. This is because I have been playing since 1983 and 1st edition, and still 'in the same zone' re: how I proceed. The mechanics might change but the spirit and approach is the same. I scratchbuild and kitbash; I campaign in an RP sense (modifying rules and adding rules as necessary); I use any and all figures I can get my hands on, if I think they fit the world.

In other words, I see 'Oldhammer' as an approach/style to playing, not particular rules set(s), and as a continuation from the mid 80's onwards. I might employ the 8th ed rules, but I am still fully in the 1980's in terms of approach and style. Ok so the internet, YouTube and websites have happened in the meantime , but they are just another way of putting my world-background, reports, accounts and stories out there. I am still essentially approaching campaigns and play the same way.

I should add that I have been a part of the Oldhammer website forum for many years, as well as the FB group, and this has been debated many a time. It's just too loose a term to attach specifics to. Whatever one person says it means, another says it doesn't.

But, as I have said several times before on several different sites, I AM Oldhammer.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 12:01:30 AM by Padre »
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 11:04:26 AM »
Being a summary of the most widely recognized formal period classification of Warhammer Fantasy Battles (WHFB) and Age of Sigmar (AoS), used for both forums and Facebook groups:

- Editions 1-3 of WHFB are Oldhammer (1983-1992), roughly the era of Bryan Ansell.

- Editions 4-8 of WHFB are Middlehammer (1992-2015), the era of Tom Kirby.

- All editions of AoS are Newhammer (2015-), the era of Kevin Rountree.

Widely by who and where?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 12:43:10 PM »
Never even heard of Middlehammer and Newhammer.  Not sensing there's a need for such a differentiation.

I'm sure others will disagree, say my head is in the sand, or some such other nonsense.  I'll temper my distemper for the moment.

For me there is Oldhammer/Warhammer Fantasy Battle, and Warhammer: Assault on Sigmar Age of Sigmar AoS.

By the way ... was being silly with that newer incarnation, but my usage of the typing terms actually come down to this ... WFB (sometimes with an edition listed), and W:AoS.  GW can be glad I don't use AoS, because I can understand why some folks would choose to just use that as their initials.

As an aside, what is W:AoS on now for an edition? If I recall its 2nd or 3rd.  That's sort of like saying WFB 10 or 11.  Except ... and don't tell anyone I said this >>> ... GW blew up the Olde World ... Oldhammer/WFB.  Although I hear they are returning to it, yet nothing new about that in the near recent past.

(GP ... good on you to call that an "aside".)

:icon_lol: :icon_exclaim:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra