home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296150 times)

Offline steveb

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Undead Dragon)
« Reply #225 on: July 07, 2015, 01:55:20 PM »
name it Gronk, that being the only noise that it can make now.  steveb

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #226 on: July 07, 2015, 06:29:46 PM »
I'm not sure a Zombie Dragon needs a name (if it's a zombie rather than a dracolich or similar) but he is looking very nice in that colour scheme. I like the lop-sided head pose and the droopy tongue (which is missing from my own old model.)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #227 on: July 09, 2015, 08:14:47 PM »
Thanks. I'm awful at names. It's the worst part of trying to write up a campaign & scenarios.

A comparison of scale. These two make an interesting, if odd, pair. Seeing them together is making me reconsider my decision to paint the rat-beast meaty instead of black or grey.

While digging through boxes of old figures, I came across this guy and think I should find a spot for him in my current plans. It’s an unreleased (AFAIK) “Bramble Demon” from an also unreleased game called Warlocke: Rise of the Young Kingdoms.

And sometimes my work table looks like this….

(Any guesses what's in the jar?)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #228 on: July 10, 2015, 03:58:06 PM »
That Bramble Demon is missing some roses, but is a nice unusual model.

As for what is in the jar, I am more concerned about the thing that has escaped from the jar and is now helping itself to your pharmaceuticals!

(One of the other dragons, I assume?)

I also hate naming things, I would annoy my RPG friends by spending hours thinking up suitable names for my characters.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #229 on: July 10, 2015, 10:46:10 PM »
When I started my current project and returned to painting and making plans for doing some gaming (no games yet...) at the beginning of the year, a large part of that decision was as a way to find some peaceful time to deal with a lot of the stress that has been consuming my life. It may seem like a small thing, or an escapist thing, but it's my "meditation," for lack of a better word. It gives me something positive to enjoy and look forward to.

Earlier this week a mystery package arrived at my home from overseas (UK.) When I opened the box, read the enclosed note and saw what carefully packed inside, I was overwhelmed. I had been having a really bad day up until that point. But it was suddenly washed away by the random generosity of someone I know through the online miniatures community, but have never even met in person. Here's what was inside:

A couple weeks ago I wrote about my quest for the old Nightmare Legion, and the frustration of a limited budget. Fellow forum-goer and "Undead enthusiast," Shadespyer, had offered to keep an eye out for a more affordable Legion than I had been seeing on eBay. He ended up sending me his own figures.

So now I once again have one of the classic Regiments of Renown from my youth. The presence of this nostalgic unit in my project means a whole lot to me. It's a reminder of better times and the enjoyment of care-free gaming. More than that, it is a representation of the kindness of strangers, a reminder that there are many good people in the world, and how amazing it is to live in a time/world where modern communication creates a worldwide community from those with unique interests. I really can't thank him enough.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #230 on: July 11, 2015, 06:07:52 PM »
You're very welcome - besides, I think painting another two dozen skeletons on top of the sixty odd I'm working my way through now would finish me off. I'm looking forward to seeing these painted in your style.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #231 on: July 11, 2015, 07:13:18 PM »
Thanks. I'm trying to decide on shields before I start. If I had a pile of the oldschool coffin shields (from the same era, and which came in the original set) I would use those in an instant. I don't, but I may be able to create a template and cut out a bunch of flat versions of them from plastic sheet. Press-molding might be an option. Not sure that would work so great, but it might be worth a try just to test the technique. And it they look good, then I'm set! Another option which would probably look good is to tap into the stash of old Empire heater shields I've got from the old multi-part state troops & knights.

The coffin shield is the leftmost shield in the pic below.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Lfchezfl5oA/UAQE_oixh4I/AAAAAAAAAas/fS_4YuWeW60/s1600/DSC06984.JPG

Another issue is that I'd like to mount them on the same 40x40 bases I've been using. But to do that, I will clip the "slotta" tabs down to two "points" at the feet. I've done that with other figures before. Seems like blasphemy in this case.  :engel:

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #232 on: July 11, 2015, 09:27:52 PM »
That's awesome! And one of the big things that makes this forum so great. Probobly the best online community ever.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #233 on: July 11, 2015, 10:09:31 PM »
For shields, I'm a big fan of the Empire heater shields which give a nice area to put a design on. The raised edges on those older shields always felt restrictive to me. Mind you, that may well have been what these guys used to have, too.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #234 on: July 12, 2015, 09:22:06 PM »
I assume this eye monster is one of your own creations?

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #235 on: July 12, 2015, 09:25:11 PM »
Could you make some coffin-lid shields from balsa wood?
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #236 on: July 12, 2015, 10:55:57 PM »
green stuff and bit of insta mold would work really well for this.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #237 on: July 13, 2015, 04:26:48 AM »

green stuff and bit of insta mold would work really well for this.

That's what I was thinking regarding the press mold, except I would probably use Apoxie Sculpt instead of greenstuff.

But... it turns out I don't have any of the coffin shields. But I can still cut some from styrene sheet pretty easily. Below is a comparison of the heater shield vs. a rough coffin shield. If I go that route, I will measure out a nice symmetric template, and probably make it slightly larger. But this was just a 30 second test piece.

I assume this eye monster is one of your own creations?

Yeah. A prototype for something I've been thinking about casting up in resin.  :mrgreen:

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #238 on: July 13, 2015, 07:17:04 PM »
I've just noticed the label on the medicine bottle.... genius!  :eusa_clap:

There is a certain classic feel about the coffin shield... I wish I'd sent you a couple of those too, now (I don't have 24 of them, else I might have thought to!). I'm actually quite excited seeing those two stood there!  :smile2:

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #239 on: July 13, 2015, 07:43:42 PM »
Coffin shields are really the way to go there. They look awesome with the undead, and that's a pretty sweet regiment to start with.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #240 on: July 15, 2015, 04:55:32 AM »
Cutting my own coffin shields probably isn't any worse than trying to fill the holes on the old classic plastic shields, to be completely honest. Plus I prefer them without the rim as well.

And now for something completely different...

I came across these while digging around. They were all painted, but half needed the bases finished. One of those long abandoned projects. There's actually more of these, still unpainted, as well as some of the little guys that came with some of the Foundry great orc mercenaries. I had planned on lumping them all together as "lesser goblins." No idea what I will do with them right now. I just felt like it gave me a sense of accomplishment to finish the bases. :)

Apologies for the poor photo quality.

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Goblins?!)
« Reply #241 on: July 16, 2015, 07:32:34 AM »
Snotlings!
Lovely old models :)
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #242 on: July 16, 2015, 10:03:39 AM »
Snotlings!
Lovely old models :)

Are they? Too small to be absolutely sure, but given 023's comment about Foundry I assumed they were Orclings.
The Warmonger stand at Salute had a big box of them and Kev let me have a few after I bought some Merc Ogres.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:07:17 AM by Midaski »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #243 on: July 16, 2015, 12:59:13 PM »
I believe they are all old snotlings or goblins. To be honest, I'm not even sure where they all came from. They're like the debris that collects at the bottom of the bins of old, unsorted miniatures. I do have some of the Foundry orclings but I don't think any of them are painted yet.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #244 on: July 16, 2015, 02:26:48 PM »
I liked seeing the old dragons, and I think Calgon the Black works! :icon_cool:

Also, the colors used on the rat beast are great, and make a good contrast to the rest of the undead army.  The idea that the bramble beast looks similar in color is also good.  Perhaps some sort of mad scientist, evil wizard type has constructed both these mythical beasts, and maybe even has a collection of other minions that he periodically brings to life in his castle deep in the murky, swampy wilderness of your world.

And to Shadespyre ... :::cheers::: ... long live those who give of themselves and make other people's lives happier. :eusa_clap:

Oh, and by the way, the collection of goblinoids looks pricessless to me.  There must be a way ot work them intt the story line at some point. :icon_biggrin:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #245 on: July 17, 2015, 07:48:16 PM »
A Legendary Hero...

...Riding a Noble Steed...

...Wielding an Ancient Hammer...

Coming soon...

:engel:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #246 on: July 17, 2015, 08:04:31 PM »
Yes! :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #247 on: July 17, 2015, 08:57:26 PM »
Suddenly I am filled with hope! :happy:

Offline steveb

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Zogmar distraction)
« Reply #248 on: July 19, 2015, 05:35:58 AM »
Oldhammer, I love it!

those little guys are snotlings and they used to be based  like nine or ten to a 40x40 base.  they were like swarms for the orcs and goblins.

steveb

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Zogmar distraction)
« Reply #249 on: July 19, 2015, 05:38:17 AM »
In homage to typical post-public GW marketing, I will follow that last post up with a big let-down. ;)

As I continue to work on the big armies of Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (MvU), my mind has recently been wandering into two lines of thought...

One is that I may return to an alternate Warhammer (AltHammer?) setting after all, rather than something entirely new. At least for now. There is still too much of it that I like. However, the "local" setting will be all mine.

The other is that I think I may try delving into some smaller or skirmishy games too. Maybe I will tie these together with my plans for the MvU campaign. Maybe they will just happen in the same setting, but not interact. Who knows. At any rate, I'm looking at what I can put on the table right now -- or with minimal painting or touch-ups. I still have a lot of painting & basing I want to do before MvU, but I'm also itching to play a game soon. Just for fun I'm starting by digging out the stuff I hadn't planned on using in the MvU. Ancient figures. Some painted back in the days of 3rd & 4th ed. WFB. When I pulled out the goblins I previously posted, I also found the half painted model I have now dubbed....

ZOGMAR.

Working on a name for his hammer. Maybe a wyvern upgrade. ;)

I also based a couple of old wolves...

And some more troops to support the gobbos...

I painted over the Goblin Green base edges on these relics from ages past. They may be one of Zogmar's first encounters.

As with the big game, I'm a little indecisive about what rules to use. The more I see/read about the Oldhammerers around the internets, the more nostalgic I'm getting for 3rd ed. So maybe I will give that a shot. Or maybe even 2nd, which I've never actually played. Or there are a few other games I might be willing to try.