home

Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica ...  (Read 1580 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Battlestar Galactica ...
« on: April 26, 2020, 09:09:33 AM »
This looks interesting ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VBTcDF1eVQ

Evidently this show was a good while back.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 10:07:09 AM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: Battlestar Galactica ...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 09:23:29 AM »
It has been around a lot longer than that. There are several many series and and related mini series. I've watched everything twice. It is very good indeed, from beginning to end. What I cannot understand, GP, is how you've not heard of it before now.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 09:35:28 AM »
Well Padre, be careful ... I was around to see the original series in 1978.  And ... I'm not much of a TV watcher, yet vaguely recall hearing about a series back in the early to mid 2000s.  Was there a more recent one?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 10:07:42 AM by GamesPoet »

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 09:40:19 AM »
That clip is from the very start of series one back in 2004. The last series was 2010. I feel old now!!!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 10:48:58 AM »
I did watch most of it, but didn't think it was that good. I did some miniature painting at the same time, which made it okay.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 01:20:46 PM »
Watched the first episode this morning, it was enjoyable.  I appreciated the hopeful moment at the end.

The link to video in the first post wasn't shown at the beginning of the first episode from 2004.  Although the blonde was all over it, and I'm wondering if the clip in the first post here came from the 2003 miniseries.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 01:29:42 PM »
I watched about half of it. The first season is really good. The movie/pilot really gives you a sense of dread. My wife loves the series and watched it all a long time ago. There is a great game on Steam (Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock) where you play during the first Cylon war and are an Admiral managing fleets and fighting off the Cylons while balancing the different colonies' political BS like you do with the first XCom. In a weird way its kind of like XCOM but in space regarding gameplay. Its a lot of fun.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 05:37:17 PM »
Found the mini-series from 2003 on youtube, and in two parts.  Watching Part 1 now.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 06:12:36 PM »
Found the mini-series from 2003 on youtube, and in two parts.  Watching Part 1 now.
I am pretty sure thats the Pilto episode. Its called a mini series but when it came out on TV it was played like a movie if I recall. Its really good.  :::cheers:::
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 09:03:05 PM »
Avoid the Caprica spinoff.  I watched the first four episodes and it was so godawful boring that I can't even remember anything that happened.

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 06:53:45 PM »
I loved this series, but yes, pass on Caprica, it really bears no resemblance to the main show.

I will stand and say I actually enjoyed the ending as well, the usual crowd didn't, but it really made sense to me and I understood the point.  But then I'm also ok with not knowing the absolute answer on every single question to the nth degree.

Dialogue, plot, theme and effects make it a very very watchable series.
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 07:30:18 PM »
I loved the ending, especially as (and there's no spoiler in saying this) it suddenly explained, very cleverly and consistently everything that had been going on, and I mean everything, the whole series, even the umpteen bits that I could not explain whilst watching the series. There were loads of things, from characters' actions, psychologies and attitudes, to weird events, coincidences and phenomena, that all 'came good' when the ending threw light on everything that had gone on before.

It is very rare this happens. IMO, it's the exact opposite to what happened at the end of GoT.