home

Author Topic: Official Warhammer School Clubs  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Official Warhammer School Clubs
« on: August 30, 2018, 04:08:28 PM »
So I think this is awesome, and really shows that Games Workshop is trying to get back involved in the community scene. After years of ignoring the community to focus on just models their finally changing course. I'm very interested to hear what some of you guys involved in teaching think.

So lets have a look at their idea of a school club.

Calling all educators and students – have you ever wanted the opportunity to introduce your students or friends to the worlds of Warhammer? Your chance is here with Warhammer School Clubs, launching across North America today.

Warhammer School Clubs are for students between 12 and 18 years old and are an opportunity for young hobbyists to share their passion with other like-minded students. School clubs put the focus on student-led learning so that participants can develop practical personal and professional skills, and the School Club curriculum was developed in collaboration with STEM teachers to complement their approach to learning.

Warhammer School clubs:

– Help young people develop strong positive relationships with adults and their peers

– Give young people challenges to rise to

– Provide enriching and creative activities to engage in

– Give students an opportunity to develop leadership skills and decision-making skills

School Clubs are open to schools and other community organizations. Participating schools will receive a support package that includes models, paints, and tools. Teachers will receive a two-part curriculum pack that includes lesson plans and guidance that they will find useful even if they have a minimum of hobby experience.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Official Warhammer School Clubs
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 04:35:34 PM »
Interesting.

Have they provided a "how to" of any kind yet?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 04:42:30 PM »
In the same post there's an email you can contact to go about setting a club up and getting additional information. As well as a fairly standard blurb that they'll be vetting everyone who runs one for safety reasons.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 10:22:55 PM »
cool
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 11:50:06 AM »
I think that's a really cool initiative. GW is really making it's best to reach out to the broader audience, and I salute them for their efforts.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 01:28:39 PM »
Strategy games assist in developing resource planning and leadership skills - both quite useful for management type jobs.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 02:34:18 PM »
I meant to post it a few weeks ago, but there were a few big threads on reddit from some teachers who signed up. Each club seems to have gotten fairly different packages. It depended a bit on how big the school was. Still this is what one of the clubs got from GW for free to help get set up.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 05:58:55 PM »
whoa  :Ohmy:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 11:50:26 PM »
Very nice! I looked into joining this, since I ran an AoS group at my school last year. Unfortunately, they do not have support in my corner fo the globe.  :icon_cry: