home

Author Topic: Most effective builds to combat throgg and a huge troll horde  (Read 1376 times)

emperortoad

Hi fellow Empire Generals. What list ideas do you guys recommend to take on a 2500 point Huge Throgg troll list? I will be playing a friendly game at my local shop against a friend of mine. It will be a horde of 17 trolls with Throgg and several units of 9-12 trolls, a couple of units of chaos war hounds for chaff, an unkillable level 4 death chaos sorcerer lord on a disk.

I haven’t really played much at 2500 point games. I normally play 2000 points and run a horde of about 40 halberdiers with warrior priests and a captain bsb with the stubborn crown.  Also a horde of about 50 great swords with Karl Franz on foot.  I like having these two blocks with stubborn that normally have to be killed to the last man before they go away. A block of 12 inner circle knights with banner of eternal flame. A level 2 wizard of beasts or level 4 wizard of life or life behind the hordes on a warhorse. A cannon or two and some Reiksguard knights.

Instead of running in horde formation like I normally do would I be better off having deep ranks of infantry against the trolls? Would having several fire or death wizards to throw fireballs / bombard Throgg with death spells etc. to take away regen be a good idea? I haven’t really run death wizards before. What ideas do you guys have?

Offline Vauln

• Members
Re: Most effective builds to combat throgg and a huge troll horde
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 07:31:22 AM »
First off, if the Sorcerer is on a Disk then he is likely running Metal, not Death. If this is the case get some Magic Resistance on your more heavily armored units.

I think the best bet for dealing with a Troll Hoard lead by Throgg is Fire and avoidance. Bring a Level 1, Fire with a Power Stone and bring a Witch Hunter with a Brace of Pistols and the Ruby Ring. This way you can still run a Level 4, Life or Light. If you have to get into combat try to get a multi-charge off. You could also bog it down with a Steam Tank.

Good luck.

Offline Dotification

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 09:02:56 AM »
Yeah, just don't let too many trolls puke on your steam tank, the bile will eat right thru the Armor Saves.  A Ruby Ring of Ruin on a Witch Hunter isn't bad for 25 pts if you don't mind casting it as a bound spell.  Otherwise do the Flaming Prayers on your Warrior Priests/War Altar.

Just don't send your knights or Demi-gryphs at 'em /shudder  :ph34r:

Offline Jomppexx

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 02:44:10 PM »
Throgg has a S5 breath weapon, no armour saves.
A steam tank will pretty much melt in a single turn against trolls and Throgg if they all vomit.
"Sigmar is like a barbaric, warrior Jesus, and only appeared to be a mortal man."
Highlights :
8/2014 : Grandmaster slew a Chaos Lord in a challenge