home

Author Topic: I miss the Old World  (Read 25255 times)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: I miss the Old World
« Reply #125 on: September 29, 2017, 02:27:33 PM »
C.L. Werner did a lot of good stuff for Empire in the Old World.   Robin d. Laws trilogy with Fleischer was really good

I'm liking the stuff Josh Reynolds is doing for AoS.

Ditto! 👆
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Il Condottiero

• Members
  • Crying Havoc since 1992!
« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2017, 05:25:59 AM »
i really liked the Brunner series.  I think you'd like the Witch Hunter series as well.  Brunner featured in a small part in the last End Times novel

Ah, yes, I've read Mathias Thulmann's adventures before, had forgotten they were also Werner's.

It is surprising how I'm enjoying Dan Abnett's work on WFB more than on 40K, which is where I first started reading him.

I am yet to read any of the AoS' novels - stopped reading the Gates of Azyr for some reason and am yet to pick it back. I did hear a handful of the audiobooks. It is nice, in general - just different from the Old World, but not bad at all.
Seeee todo este ouro... for MEU!

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #127 on: October 01, 2017, 10:18:32 AM »
I liked Dans and his wifes books about Gilead. The first one is okay but the second on, Gileads Curse, is really good. You can see how both have developed as authors in the time between Gileads blood and Gileads curse. I think it is one of the better attempts to try and make sense of how the elves functions and thinks. Not human but still believeable.
It guided me in shaping my own character Lord Raimie whom I played in at least three online campaigns before those too died out following the fall of the Old World.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #128 on: October 01, 2017, 10:39:33 AM »
i really liked the Brunner series.  I think you'd like the Witch Hunter series as well.  Brunner featured in a small part in the last End Times novel

Ah, yes, I've read Mathias Thulmann's adventures before, had forgotten they were also Werner's.

It is surprising how I'm enjoying Dan Abnett's work on WFB more than on 40K, which is where I first started reading him.

I am yet to read any of the AoS' novels - stopped reading the Gates of Azyr for some reason and am yet to pick it back. I did hear a handful of the audiobooks. It is nice, in general - just different from the Old World, but not bad at all.

Gates of Azyr, is like the opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan, it's just fight, battle, fight, battle.  It takes a few books into the Realmgate Wars to start getting a sense of some of the characters.  The all-out battle stuff just gets a little tedious, and you don't get much more than a shallow sense of why and where they're fighting. 

The Age of Sigmar books since City of Secrets have been a lot better, more small scale character focus, and giving us a sense of what the mortal realms are like to live in.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2017, 10:40:27 AM »
I liked Dans and his wifes books about Gilead. The first one is okay but the second on, Gileads Curse, is really good. You can see how both have developed as authors in the time between Gileads blood and Gileads curse. I think it is one of the better attempts to try and make sense of how the elves functions and thinks. Not human but still believeable.
It guided me in shaping my own character Lord Raimie whom I played in at least three online campaigns before those too died out following the fall of the Old World.

Over that series of Gilead's books you also get a sense of how much the background of the Warhammer World developed

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2017, 08:39:51 PM »
Wow maybe I'm crazy, but I liked the first Gildead way more then the second. I don't know why, but I just can't get through the second one at all. I read a chapter or two and put it down, then its months before I get back to it. It just seems like such a different style. How many are in the series? I was surprised when I found the second one at the book store.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2017, 11:25:19 PM »
I liked the witch hunter series, in fact I may pick it back up hahaha
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Yodhrin

• Members
« Reply #132 on: October 03, 2017, 04:10:27 PM »
Ancient Blood is a decent read and it's fun to see smaller groups like the Strigany explored. Also despite the occasional references to slightly dated pre-5thEd fluff, I really enjoyed the Genevieve novels, especially Beasts in Velvet which might have one of the most actually-grimdark conclusions in all of WHF.

Oddly enough some of my favourites are the Time of Legends books about Dwarfs - I say oddly because while I'm a HUEG fan of our stunty wee friends, until Doom of Dragonback I had never read a word of prose written by Gav Thorpe that I liked. Every 40K and Heresy novel he's come out with has been a turgid slog for me, to the point that I don't even buy his work any more unless it's a vital part of a multi-author series; maybe his writing style just fits Dwarfs, hah.

Offline Il Condottiero

• Members
  • Crying Havoc since 1992!
« Reply #133 on: October 03, 2017, 08:44:09 PM »
Ah, yes, Beasts in Velvet and Drachenfels were both very nice, and appropriately grimdark novels. I was very, very fond of Jack Yeovil ever since tackling those.

And if I may add, also, the Adventures of Florin & Lorenzo were very nice reading. Of those, my absolute favorite was Wild Kingdoms. The unique glimpse into the Ogre Kingdoms sold that army onto me and I don't figure myself marching around without a handful of ogres in my employ. :)

Too bad too few, too little was ever produced by Black Library regarding the Ogre Kingdoms. Some nice, but small reads are around, which is a shame - they could be so greatly used to offer us more than a brief, passing mention about Cathay - and anywhere else on the Old World and beyond.
Seeee todo este ouro... for MEU!

Offline Captain Dob Van Dwi

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #134 on: October 03, 2017, 09:29:33 PM »
Brunner was very interesting.

You know I am working on the own fluff for the Empire (And the Olde World in general) if you are interested.
I choose too keep "Old Warhammer" alive with my blood sweat and tears.

It's bad that warhammer might die but it would be a tragedy if it stays dead!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #135 on: October 04, 2017, 01:13:24 AM »
I didn’t mind Gav’s Grudgebearer.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #136 on: October 04, 2017, 07:18:26 AM »
I've always liked the first few gotrex books myself. Plus the anthologies.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #137 on: October 04, 2017, 08:56:34 AM »
C.L. Werner did a lot of good stuff for Empire in the Old World.   Robin d. Laws trilogy with Fleischer was really good

I'm liking the stuff Josh Reynolds is doing for AoS.

I need to catch up on Angelika Fleischer, the Chaos trilogy and Hour of the Daemon.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2017, 12:51:34 AM »
I've always liked the first few gotrex books myself. Plus the anthologies.

Loved the Gotrex series. Have every one of them including the end times. My son had trouble when the main author was dumped but still worked thru them.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Walt von Ark

• Members
« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2017, 07:22:52 AM »
'the black plague series from Werner is nice one as well, definitly one of, if not, the best BL writers.imho

Loved the Malus series, never got to the latest Deathblade one though. Ill need to pick that one up.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2017, 10:34:35 AM »
Quote Walt: 'the black plague series from Werner is nice one as well, definitly one of, if not, the best BL writers.imho

Agreed. He is great. Also included Abnett and I really like William King although I think he works for Warcraft now.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2017, 12:28:21 PM »
Oh yeah, the Black Plague I need to read as well! Damn, what a fine fellow that C.L. Werner is. It's a shame that there won't be any more stories of Brunner and Thulmann... :unsure:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau