home

Author Topic: Flying Grand Master  (Read 352 times)

Offline madeinitaly1

• Members
Flying Grand Master
« on: April 18, 2024, 03:02:30 PM »
I noticed that the grand master can ride a Pegasus, with less than 300 points you can have a fighty stubborn character with 360° los.. did someone tried it? Is it worthy? What do you think

Offline Minsc

• Members
  • Grumpy Berserker of Rashemen.
Re: Flying Grand Master
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 03:35:50 PM »
It can probably work, but I'd probably prefer to just have him on a demigryph.
No Fly and lower M, but +1 save and 3 extra S5 AP2 attacks.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2024, 04:09:45 PM »
There are easier options for Stubborn than needing to risk 300 points and likely your general…
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2024, 04:50:48 PM »
You'd need a different general I'd say. This is a magical hit squad. If he has some magic weapon he could be a very good chaser of chaff and things like flying deamon princes etc.

Offline Clymer

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2024, 04:18:59 AM »
4 attacks with a dragon slayer sword, 360 degree charge arc, and immune to psychology? That seems like a pretty legit monster hunter. Pricey though, and a little squishy.

Maybe give him a healing potion and a couple of charmed shields to keep a ward save on him.

Could also hit him with Battle Lust to get another attack and hatred with that dragon slaying sword.

You could do worse, but I’m not ready to bet the farm on him.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 04:22:44 AM by Clymer »
Note: The above post was intended for entertainment purposes only and may contain views not necessarily held by its author. Any similarity to actual facts is purely coincidental.

Offline Minsc

• Members
  • Grumpy Berserker of Rashemen.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2024, 10:47:14 AM »
4 attacks with a dragon slayer sword, 360 degree charge arc, and immune to psychology? That seems like a pretty legit monster hunter. Pricey though, and a little squishy.

We've been over this in a different thread, and the concensus was that it's garbage: Looks good on paper initially but once you do the math you realize how ineffective it is.

Against truly scary monsters where you really need it to work (read: ridden monsters), you'll most likely hit on 4+, so 2 hits, then 33% chance of getting a 6, and they have a ward ontop, so best case scenario, you have a ~15% of it working, and the remaining 85% you're just throwing a pretty expensive character to his death (most ridden monsters will beat him to a pulp).

He's alright at hunting less dangerous monsters where he hits on 3+ and where he might even survive a retaliation and get to swing again, but overall in an allcommers list, he's more often than not a waste of points, especially given how useless he is against everything else.

TLDR: Pick Ogre Blade instead, almost as good at killing monsters but vastly better against everything else.

Edit: Personally I think Dragon Slayer Sword needs regular Killing Bow as well, it's just so bad at 50 pts. It is too specialized for it's own good and it doesn't make sense that something that can oneshot a dragon can't oneshot a goblin bigboss.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 10:50:49 AM by Minsc »

Offline Clymer

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2024, 12:38:12 PM »
That all makes sense. Thanks for the follow up.
Note: The above post was intended for entertainment purposes only and may contain views not necessarily held by its author. Any similarity to actual facts is purely coincidental.