home

Author Topic: The Barony of Sonnefurt, Wissenland  (Read 50342 times)

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
The Barony of Sonnefurt, Wissenland
« on: April 15, 2010, 01:43:32 PM »
EDIT: All of this can be read in on my Blog, where it is readily filed, and not interupted with other comments. http://sonnefurt.blogspot.com/

My liege,

You asked me to compile notes on the Barony of Sonnefurt, the territory of Baroness Katarina von Heisenberg. I have begun my compilation by assessing the geography of the barony and its various towns and military strength. My work is purely factual at this moment in time, but as my research progresses I will keep you informed as the the personalities, the true military strength and other details of the region.

Enclosed are maps of the region drawn by Nuln’s greatest cartographers and an analysis of each location in the area. I hope you find this useful.

Your faithful servant,

Leopold

The area in red shows the Baroness' influence in relation to the Province of Wissenland

This is a more detailed map of the area and its locations.

Towns

My liege,

You asked me to compile notes on the Barony of Sonnefurt, the territory of Baroness Katarina von Heisenberg. I have begun my compilation by assessing the geography of the barony and its various towns and military strength. My work is purely factual at this moment in time, but as my research progresses I will keep you informed as to the personalities, the true military strength and other details of the region.

Enclosed are maps of the region drawn by Nuln’s greatest cartographers and an analysis of each location in the area. I hope you find this useful.

Your faithful servant,

Leopold

The area in red shows the Baroness' influence in relation to the Province of Wissenland

NB. Militia indicates the maximum number of men able to be drafted and who act as town/village watch on a regular basis. Garrison indicates professional troops paid for and kept up by the Baroness.
Towns

Sonnefurt
Size: Town
Ruler: Baroness Katarina von Heisenberg
Population: 873
Wealth: 3
Economy: Agriculture, Wool
Garrison: 100
Notes: Ford across the River Sonne
             Road to Khazid Grentaz
             Houses small barracks of Sol River Patrol
             Ferry to Ertingen

Sonnefurt Villa
Size: Mansion
Population: 70
Economy: Wine
Garrison: 20
Notes: Most common residence of the Baroness
           Houses the Baroness’ personal guard
          Vineyards produce the best wine in the Barony

Ertingen
Size: Small Town
Population: 469
Economy: Fishing, Wine
Militia: 43
Notes: Ferry to Sonnefurt
          Vineyards on the Dieten Hills

Strazen
Size: Village
Population: 93
Wealth: 1
Economy: Agriculture
Militia: 27

Ostrach
Size: Village
Population: 198
Economy: Subsistence
Militia: 36
Notes: The Martin Bridge is located to the North

Bezeinhof
Size: Hamlet
Population: 67
Economy: Timber, Wool
Militia: 13

Martinskorf
Size: Hamlet
Population: 56
Militia: 8

Thalfang
Size: Small Town
Population: 481
Economy: Agriculture, Wine
Militia: 58
Notes: Aschen Bridge is located to the North
            Aschen River floods annually providing fertile soil

Places

Martinswald
Upper Martinswald contains Morr’s Chasm. People say they have seen rat shaped beasts emerge from the Chasm in the past.

The Bezau Hills
Foothills to the Black Mountains. Contain many Goblin Lairs, several are well known. Source of the River Martin.

The River Martin
Splits the Martinswald into two Upper and Lower Martinswald. Feeds the River Soll.

Sonnefurt
Ford across the River Sonne. Traversable in all conditions save heavy rain or storms. Floods once a year.

The Dieten Hills
The western side hosts several vineyards maintained by Ertingen residents. The eastern side is said to be haunted with many barrows, and there is an ancient cairn which overlooks the source of the River Dieten. The Ertingen-Strazen Road skirts the hills due to the local fear of them.

The Aschen Hills
A hermit’s cave is located in the hills. The hermit is said to be a sorcerer, perhaps of the Dark Arts. Source of the Aschen River

The Aschen River
Feeds the River Soll.

Well I started on my background writing for Sonnefurt. The town itself features on the map we have here on the library (a colour version is included above) and some of the other towns (Ostach, Thalfang and Ertingen) are on Mad Alfred maps and gazetteers. I have taken the best from both maps to make up the best of the region, the wood which became the Martinswald appears on the big map at the top, but not on the Mad Alfred ones, but the River did, so I took them both to create a varied environment for battles and the such.

The information on Mad Alfred's site seems to make the region very small, which is true, but the numbers were not even enough for me to make a 2000 point army of men, so I've rectified that by changing some of the numbers.

Garrisons relate to men actually stationed in the towns who are professional soldiers (my Spearmen and Swordmen) whereas Militia make up the rest (Halberdiers, Crossbowmen and Archers) so I should be fine.

The 'Places' I have described I feel give the area a decent range of opponents, from Goblins and Beastmen to Skaven, Vampires and Chaos.

Comments welcome.  :happy:

« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 07:56:01 PM by Le Pistolet »
The Barony of Sonnefurt - My Army Background

Sonnefurt in Flames- An Epic Tale of Sonnefurt

Le Pistolet's Monotonous Wissenland Log- My Minis

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: The Barony of Sonnefurt
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 04:02:26 PM »
Great choice! :icon_biggrin:

And some really imaginative work there.  :eusa_clap:

During the SE of 2524 event, this area saw little done here, and what you've put together fits in nicely and goes beyond. I really like how you've found a way to work opportunities for other armies to be in the area for additional fluff opportunities. :icon_cool:

Also, the Baroness was treated as a Wissenlander, and although "Soland" forces marched through her area or maybe that was north of the river Soll, she stayed away from the conflict because she was basically surrounded and so far removed from the rest of Wissenland that it was figured she had no choice.  Originally there was a poster with an army that was going to write about taking over her lands, but the poster had a life issue get in the way of continuing with the event. 

On the other hand, the pass in the mountains to the south was used by Baron Eduard Dreisch of Scharmbeck, who marched his army that way to "take back" some territory in that direction.  Dreisch was a red haired and bearded character that I ran with, who had a bit of a gambling and flamboyant personality, and who linked up with my Averland merc character, Heinrich von Furstenberg.  Together they performed joint military operations in southern Wissenland during the SE of 2524.

By the way ... that colored map is fairly snazzy, where did you find it?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:39:41 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 04:41:43 PM »
This was a really good read. I love these sorts of background 'databases'. I use the same model as this myself.

I agree about the Mad Alfred populations, they're way too small. And tbh, I'd probably add on some more to your towns as well, but thats just my personal preference.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 05:11:37 PM »
Well I'm glad my work has been appreciated, and even more glad that I'm able to fit in with your stuff without trampling all over it  :happy:

By the way ... that colored map is fairly snazzy, where did you find it?

I found it by typing 'Wissenland' into Google Images, the link is here : http://www.nationaldinosaurmuseum.com.au/Staff/Warhammer/Wissenland%20small.jpg

I agree about the Mad Alfred populations, they're way too small. And tbh, I'd probably add on some more to your towns as well, but thats just my personal preference.

Hmmm I might add a few on to each then, they do seem a bit stupid. I'll edit it accordingly...

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 05:48:30 PM »
My liege,

In continuing my notes on the Barony of Heisenberg I have begun to research the key personalities of the area. They range from the Baroness herself, her military leaders and other prominent figures. The sources are drawn from people in the area and from various other accounts. I hope you find this information pleasing.

Your dutiful servant

Leopold

Officials:

Baroness Katrina von Heisenberg
The Baroness rules over the small Barony of Sonnefurt. She is fairly young, at 27 and is by all accounts very beautiful, as well as being intelligent and very charismatic.  The von Heisenberg family came to rule Sonnefurt two generations ago, with the Baroness’ grandfather, Baron Heinrich von Heisenberg, distant and last surviving relative of the ruling Tol family. Her father, Baron Max von Heisenberg passed away just under a decade ago and has ruled, with help for the first few years, ever since.

The Baroness spends roughly three quarters of the year in her private villa in the hills South of Sonnefurt, and the rest of the year, normally the deep winter months, in the city, in her large town mansion. On several occasions she will make the long trips to her ancestral home of Heisenberg and Messen, as well as occasional trips to Nuln, where she visits her distant relatives of the Liebewitz family, the family of Countess Emmanuelle. Relations with the Countess, her second cousin are frosty at best and it is commonly believed that the Countess is jealous of the youth and beauty the Baroness possesses, as well the fact she is the second most successful female member of the family. Relations with the rest of the family in Northern Wissenland are on good terms and the Baroness has quite a bit of sway at Court and many allies with a lot of money.

The people of the Barony love their Baroness, and she is well respected amongst her peers and her councillors. Her harsh attitude towards Solland rebels has made relations with those in Wusterburg and Kreutzhofen a little tense in recent years, but they respect her leadership of her Barony, and border disputes are infrequent. Cooperation has occurred between the local regions, especially in the face of larger threats to the entire region. However, Baron von Kalb of Kroppenleben is the Countess’s biggest rival, constantly vying for total control of the trade routes with Karak Hirn, of which Sonnefurt controls half, and scheming against the Baroness.

The Baroness does not lead her own armies, for she is more of a political mind than a fighter, but she does coordinate armed efforts and offers her tactical insight. Her links to Messen, Heisenberg and Nuln do offer the opportunity, on the most dire of occasions, for armed help, but during the rule of the von Heisenberg family, this has only be required the once. The Baroness, however, does sometimes join the army to inspire the men, but will retreat back behind her lines before the fighting begins.

Marshal Richter Eichhorn
Richter Eichhorn is Marshal of Sonnefurt, and supreme commander of the Barony’s armed forces. When the other forces are not needed, he is primarily in charge of the Baroness’ personal bodyguard and follows her around the region when she needs it, but becomes the region’s ruler on her visits out of the Barony.

Marshal Eichhorn is a very dashing man, but is also extremely battle hardened, having risen through the ranks of the Soll River Patrol, before being noticed by Baron Max von Heisenberg. At that point, as a young man, he was appointed the towns Bailiff, second in command to the former Marshal, Kurt Salzemund, who, along with his hunting party, disappeared mysteriously when hunting in the Upper Martinswald, near Morr’s Chasm.

Having been in the Soll River Patrol, Eichhorn is very adept at negotiations with the post in the town, run by Captain Strotmann, and often secures small numbers of men to fight for Sonnefurt, and sometimes even entire regiments are sent in aid if the cause warrants it.

Bailiff Karl Reiter
Karl Reiter is Sonnefurt’s Bailiff. He commands the areas militias, and overseas the training of both Sonnefurt’s garrison and that of the locals. He has risen through the ranks of the Sonnefurt garrison and has shown himself to be adept in raising significant forces and has revolutionised the way in which they are now trained.

In most issues, Bailiff Reiter bows to Marshal Eichhorn’s supremacy. In battle, he carries the Standard of Sonnefurt.

Father Josef Schmidt
Father Josef runs the Church of Sigmar’s Sanctuary, a worship place and charity found in Sonnefurt; he is also the Baroness’ spiritual advisor and will often be found visiting her villa giving her advice. The Barony of Sonnefurt is fairly religious and Sigmar is the most prevalent god. Father Josef’s Sanctuary provides security and a roof over the head for the least well off, travelling Templars, and various religious figures and followers. It also functions as a normal worship place and sees many regular attendees.

Father Josef is a charismatic man, fairly young for such a prominent priest in the area. He often joins the Baroness’ armies on the battlefield and has been known to lead them in smaller skirmishes. He is famous for inspiring the men with great speeches and filling them with faith in Sigmar. He is a competent warrior, as are many of Sigmar’s priests, and is a revered tactician in the Baroness’ arsenal.

Jusk Stromsson
Jusk Stromsson is the Elder of the small Dwarf population that have established themselves in Sonnefurt after migrating from Karak Hirn. The Dwarfs are mainly stonemasons, and have helped with the expansion of the town and its surrounding villages. As the Elder, Jusk is sometimes consulted for advice by the Baroness, but he and his community are normally left alone. In the last three generations the Dwarf population have only taken to the battlefield with the army of Sonnefurt once, against a giant goblin horde, and have earned their place as a potential mercenary force in times of great need, for this reason, the Baroness maintains cordial relations with sometimes rough, arrogant and crude Dwarf.

Captain Leo Strotmann
Leo Strotmann is a Captain of the Southern Division of the Soll River Patrol and is stationed with his men in the town of Sonnefurt. Captain Strotmann served under Marshal Eichhorn in the River Patrol and has a great respect for him. The Soll River Patrol is not officially part of the army of Sonnefurt, but due to their proximity, and duties to the protection of the entire region the river flows through, their soldiers are often seen on the battlefield. Captain Strotmann regularly bends the rules concerning troops to fit his esteemed superior’s needs, but will never commit too many men to a cause, unless higher orders come from the headquarters in Wissenburg.

Captain Strotmann is also seen as the most eligible bachelor Sonnefurt has to offer, being young, handsome and holding a reputation as daring and valiant in battle. There are sordid rumours about his past relations with the Baroness, but none of these have been confirmed to be true.

Lieutenant Markus Frey
MMarkus Frey is Lieutenant of the small outpost of the Southern Wissenland Road Wardens, a military organisation of Road Wardens who patrol the roads on horseback, keeping them safe from bandits and other, more nefarious creatures. Even the largest outpost in the Barony is only small, and is located in Ostrach, patrolling the roads each side of the River from Sonnefurt to Wusterburg. The Lieutenant is on good terms with Captain Strotmann of the Soll River Patrol, for the two organisations often work together for the protection of lands all over Wissenland. For this reason, he has learned to respect Marshall Eichhorn, and often pledges men to his armies in order to keep the towns, and thus the routes through, safe from outside attack.

Mayor Günter Fink
Gunter Funk is the Mayor of the regions second largest town, Thalfang. Mr Fink is a portly gentleman, and very typically a noble man. He is not particularly liked within the region, but he pays a lot of money to the Baroness to keep his position, earned through his large vineyard on the Aschen Hills. This is where he lives for the most part, distancing himself from the people of his town, for they too do not particularly like him.  He insists that he should take part in the Baroness’ councils, and often over asserts himself, far beyond that which his position warrants. However, under his leadership, Thalfang has actually grown in size, and this means he will maintain his position until someone better is found to replace him.

Mayor Walter Heim
Walter Heim is the Mayor of the regions third largest town, Ertingen. Mr Heim is fairly young, having only just inherited the position from his father, Ewald Heim, a close friend of Baron Max von Heisenberg. Lacking in confidence of his position, Walter rarely attends the council meetings, and only attends when the Baroness insists. The reaction to his leadership has not yet sunk in, but there is a spirit of hope that Ertingen will become the second most dominant town in the region under him.

Other Personalities:

Grubart the Grey
Grubart the Grey is a famous practising wizard who lives in the Barony of Sonnefurt. Grubald is a wanderer and is said to have been wondering for several generations, drawn for some reason to the region. Children all know of him and he is well loved, performing magic tricks and spectacles. He has also been known to have close links with the von Heisenberg family, ever since the rule of Baron Heinrich von Heisenberg, offering them his great wisdom and magical talents on the battlefield. He has forged a strong relationship with the Baroness, and she regards him as a Grandfather figure, sending men to find him when great decisions need to be made. Grubald is often seen when the host of Sonnefurt take to the field of battle, just like he was two generations ago, and will presumably be for many more.

Theobald ‘the Tinkerer’ of Thalfang
Theobald is a resident of Thalfang and famous for his eccentricity and for ‘tinkering’ with machinery. Records have it that Theobald studied to become an Engineer in the city of Nuln and the Baroness also put forward his fees, but he failed his exams for an unknown reason but many presume the Countess had an influence over the University to spite the Baroness. He returned to his hometown and became determined to outdo the Nuln engineers, and has been trying to ever since. Mayor Funk has had to order Theobald to move his house and experiments out of the town, for previous accidents in his former townhouse cause fires and damage unseen since the Goblin devastation of 2418.

Mercenaries/Princes
Seeing as the Barony borders the Border Princes, mercenary captains, despots, Kings, Princes and many manner of nobility and aristocracy pass through the land. Occasionally they will help the Baroness for a price, but the Baroness and Marshall Eichhorn aren’t keen on employing mercenaries, realising they pay no allegiance to the land, and fight only for money, not risking their life for a move that could save the region.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 06:27:04 PM by Le Pistolet »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 12:54:14 AM »
Wow.  More good stuff! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 09:50:02 AM »
Wow.  More good stuff! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Thankyou very much  :blush:

I am currently working on the timeline of the Barony, from 1707 to Present day. It's getting very detailed and I've barely reached 2000 yet... :unsure:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: The Barony of Sonnefurt, Wissenland
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 01:50:21 PM »
I've started a time line for my imaginary Averland town.  I'm always torn as to how much is enough.  I'm trying to leave room for other ideas to be included in the future, while at the same time providing more detail closer in time than what is provided for further back in time.  It woudl make sense that things thta happend long ago might have less information about them, and in some situation potentially wider gaps between pieces of info.

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 02:33:34 PM »
I've started a time line for my imaginary Averland town.  I'm always torn as to how much is enough.  I'm trying to leave room for other ideas to be included in the future, while at the same time providing more detail closer in time than what is provided for further back in time.  It woudl make sense that things thta happend long ago might have less information about them, and in some situation potentially wider gaps between pieces of info.

Yeah, I found that leaving big enough gaps were the hardest challenge, I tried to leave significant periods inbetween events, but not overly so I would skip out an entire century or something.

Anyway, this is the result, and I hope it could perhaps help you GamesPoet  :happy:

My Liege,

I have spent a great deal of time compiling a history of Sonnefurt from records in various locations, but mostly the Great Library at the University of Nuln. I have attempted to cover anything important in the town’s development and I do hope you do not find it too burdensome to read. The history begins after the sacking of Wissenland by Gorbad Ironfang, as records from before are hard to track down.

Your obedient servant,

Leopold

0-1707- Not much is known, other than a town has existed by the ford of Sonnefurt’s name from the beginning of the Empire. The town belonged to the Pfeifraucher family of Kreutzhofen and was a small agricultural town, as were Thalfang and Ostrach.

1707- Sonnefurt and its surroundings completely destroyed by the invasion of Orc Warlord Gorbad Ironclaw. Many Orcs and Goblins remain in the Martinswald and the Bezau Hills to the South.

1710- Reconstruction begins. Dwarf population doubles.

1715- The first Council of the Towns and Villages of Sonnefurt, Ostrach and Thalfang is called, independently to Kreutzhofen, to deal with the Greenskin menace in the Martinswald. A general militia is raised, and many of the Goblins are driven from the area, further into the hills.

1722- Riots in Sonnefurt concerning the poor leadership of Kreutzhofen since the destruction in the wake of Gorbad Ironclaw. Sonnefurt has had no funding, whilst Kreutzhofen has continued to grow. Riots are unanswered.

1734- Goblin raid sacks Ostrach but is repelled by Sonnefurt and Thalfang militias.

1756- Abstract poverty hits the region due to a failed harvest in all areas. Riots are brutally suppressed by Kreutzhofen troops. Resentment continues.

1778- Flood of Thalfang, dozens perish in the icy waters.

1804- Morr’s Chasm opens. Reports tell of an unnatural green light glowing in the skies above.

1815- Martinswald declared safe enough for habitation, villagers migrate and small scale timber industry is established.

1817- Reports of rat-formed beasts in the Martinswald, near Morr’s Chasm. Reports are said to be nothing but rumours.

1825- Villages of Bezeinhof and Martinskorf officially recognised after ten years.

1856- One hundred years after riots in Sonnefurt, the inhabitants pay homage to the fallen by taking to the streets in mourning. This is seen as a reborn insurrection, and troops are rushed to the town. Resentment burns anew.

1860- Otto Pfeifraucher, youngest son of the current Baron, Karl Pfeifraucher, is mysteriously murdered while hunting in the Martinswald. He is found naked with stab wounds from many different weapons.

1861- The Pfeifraucher family set up barracks in Sonnefurt to suppress any insurrection to their command.

1897- Reports of conflict between the Soll River Patrol and supposedly undead forces near the Dieten Hills. Reports are widely disbelieved.

1932- Financial crisis hits the Pfeifraucher family. Sonnefurt is sold to an unwitting customer, a merchant from Marienburg, Dieter Wulstberg and is widely popular with the people, celebrations of independence are held. Under Baron Wulstberg, the town and its surroundings grow and prosper like never before.

1987- Ertingen is put up for sale by the Pfeifraucher family, Dieter’s son, Albert, purchases it and the new village of Strazen further up stream.

1989- The Sonnefurt-Ertingen Ferry is built.

2011- More reports of undead attacks from the Dieten Hills.

2032- Sonnefurt celebrates two hundred years of independence. The region is flourishing more and more each year. Population of the town reaches its peak.

2101- Known as the ‘Dark Year’. Goblin raids combined with famine mean Sonnefurt reaches a level of poverty not seen since the wake of Gorbad Ironclaw.

2142- After having recovered finally from the devastation of the ‘Dark Year’, Sonnefurt celebrates three hundred years of independence.

2209- Reports of rat-formed beasts emerging from the Martinswald and attacking the town of Thalfang, many die in the battle.

2270- The last of the Wulstberg family, Hans Wulstberg, dies. Sonnefurt risks takeover from Kreutzhofen once again. The people instead form a temporary Council of Towns and Villages of Sonnefurt, like in 1715.

2295- It is decided that after quarter of a century of wise leadership, Head Councillor and rich merchant Frederick Tol is to become Baron of Sonnefurt.

2304- Magnus the Pious establishes his court in Nuln after the Great War against Chaos. Sonnefurt gains diplomatic recognition the Tol family is recognised as its rulers.

2397- Baron Lucas Tol builds the Baron’s villa to the south of Sonnefurt.

2424- After the sacking of the Nuln by Goblin Warlord Grom, many noble Wissenland families move south for protection. This includes Herman Tol’s illegitimate cousin, Phillip von Heisenberg.

2428- Baron Herman Tol dies with no heirs. After much debate, the Council make Phillip von Heisenberg Baron of Sonnefurt.

2432- Heinrich von Heisenberg is born, beginning truly the Von Heisenberg line in Sonnefurt.

2451- Baron Phillip von Heisenberg arranges for Heinrich to marry Lea Schafer, sister to the Freida Schafer wife of the current Count of Wissenland and Nuln, Count Frank von Liebwitz.

2452- Max von Heisenberg is born.

2458- Goblin raid on Sonnefurt is repelled by intervention from the Soll River Patrol. The River Patrol establishes a permanent barracks in Sonnefurt.

2461- Baron Phillip von Heisenberg dies. His son Heinrich von Heisenberg becomes Baron.

2467- Ostrach’s crops become diseased and the town is only saved by support from Sonnefurt. The town’s crops have never truly recovered and it remains in poverty.

2472- To save the Barony from total economic downturn in the face of the loss of Ostrach's production, Baron Heinrich von Heisenberg marries his son Max to Vanessa Zell, sister to Herman Zell, a prominent merchant in the town from the Border Princes. He also makes him a Lord in order to coax him to bring business to the Barony.

2481- Baron Heinrich von Heisenberg dies. His son, Max von Heisenberg becomes Baron.

2489- Captain Richter Eichhorn of the 9th Soll River Patrol Regiment is noted for his service to Sonnefurt in a battle against a raiding Goblin party. He is offered the position as the town's Bailiff and accepts.

2496- Marshal Kurt Salzemund mysteriously disappears whilst hunting near Morr’s Chasm with no trace of him of his hunting party. Bailiff Richter Eichhorn becomes Marshal

2497- Current ruler, Baroness Katarina von Heisenberg is born

2513- Baron Max von Heisenberg dies; Katarina von Heisenberg rules with the help of a newly reformed Council of Towns and Villages of Sonnefurt for she is deemed too young to rule singlehandedly.

2515- Katarina von Heisenberg comes of age and becomes Baroness.

2524- Sonnefurt, surrounded by hostile Solland insurrectionist, stays out of the ‘Solland Effort’ but is poised to repel possible invasion, especially from the hated Kreutzhofen.

2526- Kroppenleben frames Sonnefurt for industrial sabotage and uses it as an excuse to launch a long planned war against the Barony. They receive limited aid from Kreutzhofen. Thalfang and Ostrach are both captured and Sonnefurt besieged. The campaign fails when Sonnefurt's allies from Meissen, Heisenburg and the Nuln Volunteers break the siege.

Present
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 11:42:27 PM by Le Pistolet »

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 07:13:31 PM »
My Liege,

In my previous letters I have covered mainly political and geographical aspects of the Barony of Sonnefurt, but now I have some information that should truly interest you, their military strength. The Barony’s army looks deceptively small, with only a very minor garrison in Sonnefurt, but the Baroness can call upon a great wealth of support if she had both the money and the need. I have already covered the key personalities who lead the armies in the region in my previous letter, but here are the exact details of the regiments.

Your humble servant

Leopold

Organisation of the Sonnefurt Military
The Barony’s military is a comprised of several regiments which are built using a complex system of regular and irregular soldiers, with great use of mercenaries and hastily formed militias in times of great need.

Uniform
The professional or semi-professional soldiers are obliged to wear the traditional Grey and White of Wissenland. Sonnefurt is denoted by the family colour of the Von Heisenberg family, a crimson red. This is used in markings on the uniform and extra flair often added by the soldiers themselves to show their allegiance. Irregular forces are not obliged to follow the colourings of the professional forces but often do so to be distinguishable as fighting for the Barony.

The Barony’s military carry standards depicted the symbol of the Baroness, the Rose and the Briars. The style of this depends on the artist, but it is clear to see waving above the regiments in battle.

The Sonnefurt Regiment
Also referred to as the 1st Sonnefurt Regiment of Foote in official documents, mainly when on campaign in the Wissenland armies, the Sonnefurt Regiment is the first and only professional regiment of the town. The men perform their duties as town guards, watchmen, police, fire service and soldiers and are paid handsomely for their actions. They receive the best training in the Barony and the best funding (besides the Baroness’s privately funded bodyguard). 

The  1st Regiment of Foote also includes a ranged element in close support, and many are trained in the art of black powder by specialist trainers from the Gunnery School of Nuln.

The Barony Halberdier Corps
Comprised of a combination of semi-professional soldiers who in turn form the South Soll Coalition (Thalfang and Ostrach citizens) and the Dieten Townships Militia (Ertingen and Strazen) Regiments. In times of relative peace or small skirmishes, these two sub-regiments protect their assigned territories as town guards, able to be called upon at any time. The soldiers subscribe to the regiments for a period of four years, and have to undergo training within the town of Sonnefurt and a subject to being called up to fight for both Sonnefurt and even in the South Wissenland Regiment should Wissenburg call. The strength of the regiment normally relies on the amount of men who are currently on tours of duty, but can be increased as needs must in times of great military hardship. In return they can expect billets on campaign, wear official Sonnefurt uniforms and are equipped and paid by the town’s purse.

The Sonnefurt Irregulars
Each town in the Barony retains an irregular regiment of men they can call upon in times of great need. These differ from the semi-professional regiments in that there is no official training, equipment, uniform or commitment. The Barony does not fund the formation of the militias, seeing it as a personal choice of its citizens. Anyone is allowed to join the militia, providing they are of age and a citizen of the Barony. In recent years there has been a surge of Dwarfs joining under Jusk Stromsson’s campaigning. Irregulars sign their name on a sheet in their respective town halls should they wish to fight, and choose to fight should the bells toll. As such Sonnefurt can never count on an exact number of men to send to battle.

Von Heisenberg Guard
Some of Sonnefurt’s only professional troops besides the town guard, but they are not official troops of the Barony. They are Zweihanders who guard the Baroness day and night, and are often sent off without her. Should the Baroness take to the battlefield they form a tight protective shield around her. They are equipped directly by the Baroness herself and are not obliged to fight for Sonnefurt unless the Baroness decrees it. The men are chosen from the best soldiers in the Barony, and often some mercenaries who pledge allegiance to the Baroness for a constant wage and a place to settle down.

Ostrach Sharpshooters
The sharpshooters are one of the only regiments in Sonnefurt to not fall into a wider regiment under the towns banner, but to pledge allegiance to another town. This stems from the military origins of the town after it struggled to survive with the destruction of its economy after the Dark Year. The regiment select their soldiers however from across the Barony, taking on only the best sharpshooters. Due to a lack of funding there is no official uniform but the men take pride in the Barony and dress appropriately, but the lack the style of professional soldiers.

The Sonnefurt Battery
Sonnefurt owns a small number of warmachines which have been acquired over its long history from the forges of Nuln and as gifts from the Von Heisenberg relatives in the North. The men paid to crew these machines have been specially trained, and are often overseen by the best engineers in the town when the are brought onto the battlefields. The men are paid more than most other professional soldiers, due to the risk involved, but are few in number and are required to maintain and preserve the machines.

Mercenaries
As the Barony only has limited numbers of troops, should it find itself in great danger, it can rely on the many soldiers who make their way through their lands in exchange for some coin. The mercenaries most often hired are cavalry, as the Barony has no mounted regiments or Knightly Orders it can call upon. However, sometimes mercenary pike regiments are employed to supplement the Barony’s infantry. The mercenaries wear whatever they choose, and have no allegiance to the Barony’s besides the wage they are paid, and as such tend to display their own livery rather than anything related to Wissenland.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 04:47:44 PM by Le Pistolet »

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 07:37:14 PM »
Brill stuff!

I wonder who this mysterious Leopold is and his equally mysterious master.

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 08:54:13 PM »
Brill stuff!

I wonder who this mysterious Leopold is and his equally mysterious master.

Ah, well that is for me to know and you to find out. It may form the premise of a short story in the future, we shall just have to see.... :happy:

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 09:27:08 PM »
Sounds like some cowardly rebels have their hands in this!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 11:49:14 PM »
And more good stuff there! :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 05:24:23 PM »
I've finally had a chance to look over this and I'm impressed.  I really enjoy this level of detail people put into the hobby.  In some regards, I think this stuff is really the most fun, too.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Burgermeiser

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 08:49:21 PM »
Very nice, you should include a Knightly Order in there with it's own chapter houses. Make's mine look like I need to put more detail in. Mine's just an Order based in Ostland, but it has it's own knights, greatswords, crossbow and halberd regiments, and an ordinance train (artillery). It even has it's own castle too. (Just check out the Templars of Ostland thread on here). I might include a Wissenland regiment from Sonnefurt when my army gets a little bigger. :smile2: Right now I'm working on building the Ordens Army first though. Nice fluff! :happy: I really liked the mercenary knights bit too. Good way to recruit men for little pay. :engel:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 08:51:46 PM by Burgermeiser »
"To reign in Averland, you must be as mad as an Elector. Which, fortunately, I am!"-Marius Leitdorf (Viscilitudes of Count Averland, Chapter VII, Paragraph XIV)

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 08:59:19 AM »
I really should do something like this for Wusterberg shouldnt I...

As an aside there was some cattle rustling went on in the early party of 2524 in Sonnefurt...but that was about it.
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 09:24:36 AM »
I might include a Wissenland regiment from Sonnefurt when my army gets a little bigger. :smile2:

You're welcome to but seeing as we're already struggling to form an army, you may have to pay through the nose. Shipping fees to Ostland may be pretty pricey too.

I really should do something like this for Wusterberg shouldnt I...

Definitely, I think it's the best part about the hobby  :happy:

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 03:45:57 PM »
Le Pistolet is back, and is bringing new fluff!  :::cheers:::

I have gone back over the old fluff, correcting mistakes and adding extra details so it might be worth a re-read (mainly just the characters). Due to 8th Edition looming with horde units and 3000pt armies, I have upped the populations, but have not gone wild. The units also have their size missing as I have no idea how large I will be fielding units.

Anyway, here is some detail on the towns festivals and holy days, and this (combined with some detail I added to the older stuff) should give you more of an idea as to Leopold, his master and their motivations...

My liege,

I thought I should include some details of the region’s holidays and calendar. Obviously, many of these are the same as ours, but I have added notes as to when the Baroness leaves the region, leaving it exposed for our advancement.

Your obliging servant

Leopold

Nachexen
Year Blessing
Von Heisenberg Day (Heisenberg) - a day of celebration in Heisenberg- The Baroness visits family in Heinsenberg and Meissen for two weeks.

Jahrdung
Spring Equinox

Pflugzeit

Sigmarzeit

Sommerzeit
Summer Solstice
The Baroness’ Birthday

Vorgeheim
Day of Mystery

Nachgeheim
Countess Emmanuelle von Liebewitz’s Birthday- The Baroness visits Nuln and returns after visiting her northern relatives. You should have at least two weeks of her being absent during this month.

Erntezeit
Autumn Equinox
Independence Day- A day of celebration in remembrance of the resistors to Kreutzhofen oppression.

Brauzeit
Sonnefurt Wine Pressing Festival

Kaldezeit
Remembrance Day- a day of mourning for those lost during the Dark Year
Victory Day- a celebration of victory after the Dark Year
Black Power Week- Nuln’s annual celebration- The Baroness visits Nuln and once again visits her northern relatives. This again gives you another week or two of her prolonged absence.

Ulriczeit
Winter Solstice

Vorhexen
Witching Day

The dates and festivals were found here: http://www.warpstone.org/pdfs/articles/WFRP%20Information%20Booklet.pdf
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 01:18:45 PM by Le Pistolet »

Offline fauthsie

• Members
  • Animosity Team GM
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 11:05:43 PM »
Great Stuff mate!!! I did a similar thing with Grovodin (kislevite township) but I seemed to have lost steam with the effort...
A new Campaigning home....

http://animositycampaigns.com/joomla

FAUTHSIE CAMPAIGN CONSULTING INC.... I MAKE YOUR CAMPAIGN GO!!!

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2010, 12:16:40 AM »
That seems to be the trend. :smile2:

not together.

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 01:04:55 PM »
That seems to be the trend. :smile2:

Although I may have lost steam, I'm back in force now :biggriin:

My liege,

As you know I have detailed greatly the Barony of Sonnefurt, but have neglected to mention your ultimate conquest, Sonnefurt itself. I have included details of the town’s districts as well as their famous landmarks that may interest you. I hope you find this pleasing, as it will not be long before Sonnefurt becomes your summer home.

You lowly servant,

Leopold

Sonnefurt Township

Sonnefurt Hill
The Sonnefurt Hill is an overstatement. Seeing as the land is almost entirely flat, the small mound towers over the town. This mound is reserved for the Baroness and her extensive Mansion and grounds, and can be seen from all around.
The Baroness’ Mansion- Located at the very top of the hill that overlooks the Sonnefurt and the dockyards. It was constructed in the same manner as the Baroness’s Villa and is ornate, much more ornate than the Kroppenleben Manor. The mansion has everything one needs from a townhouse, a chapel, a feasting hall, large gardens and its own small barracks. The Baroness hardly lives in this mansion, but it still retains a large standing guard.

Upper River Side
The Upper River Side is the most expensive district in the whole of Sonnefurt. It houses the privileged elite and the aristocracy and the shops and bars reflect this demographic. Many extravagant town houses have been built here over the years and a rich, bustling and cultured community has been established.
The von Heisenberg Theatre-The Theatre was first commissioned by Baron Heinrich von Heisenberg. It runs many shows using his generous bursary to hire in travelling troubadours, actors and spectacles from all over the Empire.
The Council of the Towns and Villages of Sonnefurt- The Council have their Council House within the Upper Riverside as many come from the local aristocracy who have townhouses within Sonnefurt. The Council had now almost purely administrative duties but I shall leave a description of them for another letter.
The Garden of Mórr- The Garden is the town’s cemetery for the greatest and richest people of Sonnefurt, including the Von Heisenberg family mausoleum. The towns other cemetery is located outside the town walls in a superstitious attempt to prevent the dead ever making their way back into the town.
The Upper River Side Marina- As many merchants from the Barony have a house in Sonnefurt the best way to travel is often by boat. The Marina is a small harbour for the private boats of these rich citizens. Private boats are a luxury in Sonnefurt however, as there is a heavy tax due to the monopoly granted to the Ertingen Ferry.
Gilles’ Wine Bar- This bar has the reputation of being the most expensive bar in Sonnefurt and is reserved almost entirely for the town’s aristocracy and wealthy merchants. Run by a disgraced Brettonian Knight it serves the finest Brettonian wines as well as local wines, including some from the Baroness’ personal Villa vineyard. On occasions the Baroness has been seen in the Bar, and I believe you too will enjoy its delights.

Lower River Side
The Lower River Side is a downmarket version of the Upper River Side. The population consists of the town’s middle class and mixes in areas with some upper class families, short on money and forced to move. The district houses the vast majority of the town’s population, and is the largest district in the town.
The Sanctuary of Sigmar-The Sanctuary is run by Father Josef and is the largest religious establishment in the town. Its location in the Lower River Side makes it popular with the common people and many from the Dockyards too, but the richer members still attend for feast days and religious celebrations. The Sanctuary also acts as a place to stay for the least fortunate, Sigmarite Templars and wandering religious fanatics and leaders.
The Judicial Court of Sonnefurt- Run by the now almost defunct Council of the Towns and Villages of Sonnefurt, the Courthouse is where the worst criminals in the region are tried. Being on the council, Marshall Eichhorn uses the Court to sentence mercenaries with unconvincing charges so they will fight for him. It is located in the Lower River Side on request of the Upper River Siders, who didn’t want ‘criminal scum’ in their district.
The Ertingen Ferry- The ferry is run by an old Dwarf who drives a paddle steamer twice a day between the two towns. The cost is not extortionate, but the more common way for the poorer folk of the town to cross is by commissioning a rower from the dockyards, who run services for a small fee, undermining the ferries monopoly granted several hundred years ago.
The Troubadour- This tavern is known as the loudest tavern in Sonnefurt, and on a quiet night, with the right wind, the noise can be heard as far off as Ertingen and Ostrach. Travelling musicians give this tavern its name, and amongst the most popular regular band are the Hirn Yodellers, a group of Dwarfs whose guttural signing often shakes the ground of the Lower River Side.
Donald Mach’s Tavern and Restaurant- Reputedly the best restaurant in south Wissenland, this tavern and restaurant is run bizarrely by a Halfling and an Ogre. Donald Mach is the experience chef, naming his speciality dish, the ‘Hanburga’ after his Ogre companion, who invented the dish.

The Military District
The Military District is a small district in central Sonnefurt. It has no other purpose but to house the military and a few families of officers and provide some training facilities for the standing garrison.
The Shrine to Myrmidia- A small shrine to the goddess of War. Paid homage to on holy days and before and after combat by the soldiers
The Sonnefurt Barracks- The barracks for the 100 strong garrison of the town. The barracks includes some training grounds, but often the troops take the ferry to Ertingen to practise their manoeuvres in more open countryside. I have already detailed the regiments who call these barracks home.
The Soll River Patrol Outpost- The small outpost of the Soll River Patrol in Sonnefurt. The garrison of the outpost varies depending on the whims of the headquarters in Wusterburg. I have also detailed the most frequent regiments who are based in Sonnefurt
The South Wissenland Road Warden Outpost- A very small outpost of Road Wardens, the outpost serves only as a base for passing wardens and is manned by a small team of professionals sent from the headquarters in Rohrhof. Each town and village in the area has a similar outpost, as you well know, and in the Barony of Sonnefurt, the largest is strangely found in Ostrach.

Market District
The Market District is where the vast majority of the commerce happens in Sonnefurt. There is a myriad of shops, taverns, inns and other haunts in this district. Many merchants and their families and other middle class families live here as well as in Lower River Side.
The Hirn-Sonnefurt Banking Corporation (HSBC)- The office of the ancient bank in Sonnefurt. Run by Dwarfs who enjoy nothing more than hording vast amounts of wealth deep underground, the bank is a favourite of all the rich merchants and aristocrats of Sonnefurt, including the Baroness herself.
The Chamber of Customs and Commerce (CCC)- The Chamber of Customs and Commerce is in charge of all business conducted in and out of the town, including the trade with Karak Hirn and Nuln. As such, the Chamber holds the seal of Sonnefurt, recognised by the Dwarfs on all personal letters, trade agreements and exports. If you were to secure this my liege, then you would be able to control all trade with Karak Hirn.
The Broken Lance- This tavern is the haunt of many mercenaries and is run by an old grizzled mercenary veteran. Many fights break out of this tavern and it is under constant surveillance by the Town Watch. This is where most of the knights forced into service for Sonnefurt are found.
The Despot’s Head- This Tavern is renowned for troublemaking. What is not commonly known is the amount of Solland rebels who frequent the premises and hold secret meetings regularly in the basement. This is the tavern where I have spent my time in Sonnefurt, and the men here are willing to help us in our quest.

The Dwarfen Quarter
The Dwarfen Quarter is fairly self explanatory, as it is the small district reserved for Dwarfs. Although the Dwarfs are not counted on the official population records due to their lack of Imperial Citizenship, there are over 200 living within the town. The name of the ‘Quarter’ comes from the origins of the town, when it was so small, the district took up at least a quarter of the town. Now Sonnefurt has expanded, and the old Dwarfen walls have been used to build other districts, whilst the new walls were commissioned by the Dwarf stone masons.
Skeggi’s Workshop- The most well renowned workshop in the whole Dwarfen Quarter. Skeggi has been making suits of armour and weapons amongst other items since the first days of the von Heisenbergs. He made the suit of armour which Marshall Eichhorn wears into battle that has been enchanted to deflect all but the most grievous of blows.
The Runic Tankard- A Dwarf run tavern that has a long history in Sonnefurt. Apparently it was one of the first taverns to be granted a license by Bugman, the famous Dwarf brewer, himself. The tavern lies on the edges of the Dwarfen Quarter so that it can attract a wide demographic of customer, as humans are normally wary of entering the Dwarf Quarter alone. Jusk Stromsson can often be found drinking in this tavern.

The Dockyards
The Dockyards are the poor district on the fork of the Rivers Soll and Sonne. They house the working classes who live within the town. Fishermen, joiners, dockers and boat builders make their residence here, running their workshops from the town. The folk of this district are fairly exploited by the rich merchants in the city, and as such harbour resentment. If we were to show them some favour, we could secure some support for our takeover.
Shrine to Lacothea- Lacothea is the Goddess of the River Soll and the fishermen, boat builders and river patrol all worship her due to the fact that she dictates their livings. The shrine is small and simple but is visited by many weekly.
The Fishmarket-The fishmarket is a long established traditional market where the local fishmongers sell their wares. Despite the smell of both the fish and the dockyard people, even Upper River Siders venture to the market as River Soll fish and crabs are exquisite meals
Sonnefurt Lighthouse- The Sonnefurt Lighthouse sits on the furthest point of the Sonnefurt dock wall. It was built after many merchant ships got lost at the fork between the River Soll and the River Sonne, grounding themselves on the ford at low tide. The lighthouse is the only building in Sonnefurt that retains the Pfeifraucher emblem on its wall, due to its necessity limiting its demolition and reconstruction.
The Eriksson Joinery- The best boatyard and carpenters in the whole of Sonnefurt. Run by a Norse family for several generations, they use fine Martinswald timber to construct merchant ships to ease the trade with Nuln and Wissenburg.
The Cardinal’s Inn- This Inn doubles as a brothel and has a strong religious theme. The girls dress in lewd mockeries of the Sisters of Sigmar and the blasphemy often attracts many rogues not from the Empire itself.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 02:16:05 PM by Le Pistolet »

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 01:08:05 PM »
Although I may have lost steam, I'm back in force now :biggriin:

There was no intent to include you in that statement.  A lot of folks get started on things and just don't finish for whatever reason.  Myself included.

Keep up the good work!

not together.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 01:42:29 PM »
Sweet stuff! :eusa_clap: Please keep it up!

I wonder whether the Baroness came to power by virtue of the uncertainty principle?

Something like this:

"Oh brave nobles and merchants, who will ye name our next ruler?"
"Dunno."
"Dunno."
"Dunno."
"How 'bout that girl there?"
"Okay."

Good choice, anyway. She'll be very hard to assassinate. Any assassin will either know where she currently is, or where she's going, but never both.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 02:14:55 PM »
Seems as reasonable as any other method of selecting nobles...certainly better than some kind of farcical aquatic ceremony.
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg