home

Author Topic: Army Book: Greatswords  (Read 23745 times)

Offline kk14

• Members
Re: Army Book: Greatswords
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 08:10:54 AM »
Greatwords
9 points per model
Greatsword ..........M4 WS4 BS3 S3 T3 W1 I3 A1 Ld8
Count's Champion M4 WS4 BS3 S3 T3 W1 I3 A2 Ld8
Unit size: 10+
Equipment: Two-handed sword (great weapon), hand weapon, Full Plate.
Special Rules: Stubborn, State Troops
Upgrade one Greatsword to a musician for 6 points.
Upgrade one Greatsword to a standard bearer for 12 points
Upgrade one Greatsword to a Count's Chmapion for 12 points
The standard bearer can carry a magic standard costing up to 50 points.
For every General of the Empire in the army, one unit of Greatswords becomes Core
If you can't convince the voters to accept your view, and you take to the gun, you are by definition anti-American.

Veni, Vidi, domum meum redire volo.

Online Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2010, 04:24:43 AM »
I take it you didn't agree with my points regarding command point cost?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Empireguard

• Members
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2010, 08:07:25 AM »
they shoudl be I4 not a huge help with great weapon only some spells but it makes sense because of swordsmen.

one core per GotE is cool

50pts magic banner

no shield option I don't want it, they will just become a unit that doesn't use great weapons. might as well call them great swordmen.

maybe immune to fear but not terror so things that cause terror can still make them auto run. Then again maybe immune to psy or fear if joined by the GotE as well its fluffier.

for points well make the the same if you give them immune to fear or cheaper if not.
Please help create a comprehensive data base of every Wargaming model ever made by clicking here.

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2010, 08:10:49 AM »
I agree with that 5-10 -10 for command
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2010, 10:29:42 AM »
I also agree with command and either 8 points a pop or immune to fear

Offline kk14

• Members
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2010, 07:40:54 PM »
I am still considering 25 point command: it would probably be the first set of 'elites' with a total command of 25 points. Everything people compare them to have higher command costs. Also, our spearmen and halberdiers currently sit at 20, even with shields purchased, while our swordsmen are at 25.

8 points is too few.

I am considering a skirmish option for Free Company. I am still undecided there too.
If you can't convince the voters to accept your view, and you take to the gun, you are by definition anti-American.

Offline Dezzo

• Members
  • Shooty!
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2010, 05:47:39 AM »
Although the Goldswords are here to stay (no way GW will junk new plastic kits) and are fluffy (for those of your guys who like fluffy) I would still prefer to have the footslog Knights back into the army book.

The old Footslog Knights (were they called Tectonic Knights?) were gold. Full Plate armor, hand weapon + shield makes them 2+ / 3+ at 12 points each.

From the business perspective, they can make Footslog Knights a Goldsword upgrade. (and release a new plastic kit for them).

Footslog Knights can essentially be

WS 4 / S4 / T3 / I2/ A2 / LD8
*Champion gets +1 A*
Stubborn
Immune to Psy if character is attached to unit
Able to take Magic Banner max 50 points
Special rule: Tough; If Footslog Knights didn't move the previous turn when it gets charged this turn, it gets +1 T for 1 turn.

Goldswords stay how they are, but they get +1 S for the 1st turn they charge (or get charged)

Offline Wolfsgaum

• Members
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2010, 12:25:23 AM »
(were they called Tectonic Knights?)

You mean Reiksguard foot? Or were you playing with the fact that their movement was at -1 due to their heavy armor?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 05:20:51 AM by Wolfsgaum »

Offline Dezzo

• Members
  • Shooty!
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2010, 04:10:33 AM »
Yes! Reiksguard Foot!

I think -1 Movement is something livable... just ask the Dwarves! ;-)

Online Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2010, 05:22:17 AM »
Also, our spearmen and halberdiers currently sit at 20, even with shields purchased, while our swordsmen are at 25.

I thought you were removing swordsmen from our list? And our flagellant champion only costs 10 points - why wouldn't the greatswords? The regular models cost the same points currently...

8 pts is definitely too cheap.

And Reiksguard foot, despite loving the models, should not come back as they unbalance all other Empire Infantry units. Especially as you suggested Dezzo.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Dezzo

• Members
  • Shooty!
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2010, 09:23:57 AM »
And Reiksguard foot, despite loving the models, should not come back as they unbalance all other Empire Infantry units. Especially as you suggested Dezzo.

True that... but it doesn't take away the fact that the elite infantry for Empire is quite rubbish.

Not like we mind... as we are more than happy to fill our Special slots with Cannons and Pistoleers.  :happy:

But it is a pity that a nice kit like Goldswords see such limited (if at all) air time.

Online Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2010, 12:27:03 PM »
They aren't rubbish. The other armies elites are just underpriced.

Offline kk14

• Members
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2010, 08:18:11 PM »
Sorry for the confusion: I meant ATM (without the changes).
It occurred to me that what I said above actually supports your thesis. 25 points it is, for full command.

Offline stareso

• Members
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2010, 05:01:41 PM »
I fully and wholeheartedly agree with your latest incarnation of the greatswords kk, sounds perfect to me! Love the blighters, I do.

Offline Wolfsgaum

• Members
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2010, 09:55:16 PM »
How about dropping Greatswords from special and making them core? Drop the full plate and stubborn. Give them heavy armor and give them state troop stats. Foot knights can be the new elite infantry with all the bells and whistles.

Online Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2010, 11:14:47 PM »
Why?

It won't change the fact that if we have foot knights, no one will take any of the normal infantry choices.

Offline Wolfsgaum

• Members
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2010, 02:55:12 AM »
Why?

It won't change the fact that if we have foot knights, no one will take any of the normal infantry choices.

Who cares about those people?  ::heretic::

I'm here for a cool looking army. Not to keep munchkins in check.

Online Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2010, 03:21:28 AM »
Why?

Who cares about those people?  ::heretic::

I'm here for a cool looking army. Not to keep munchkins in check.

Ummm, I believe the purpose of these armybook threads is to slightly update the Empire book, while also providing more balance.

Offline kk14

• Members
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2010, 04:59:58 AM »
Empire has footknights. They are called Greatswords. Love 'em or hate 'em, that's what they are.

Agree with Warlord.

Offline Wolfsgaum

• Members
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2010, 04:50:45 PM »
Empire has footknights. They are called Greatswords. Love 'em or hate 'em, that's what they are.

Agree with Warlord.

Just because they are now doesn't mean that they always have to be. Face it, Greatswords are a suicide unit, not elites. They fit better as core state troopers.

Offline Northern Storm

• Members
  • Retired from community as of 25 NOV 10
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2010, 09:09:47 PM »
Empire Greatswords should get the same deal that Flagellants get in relation to the Warrior Priest. Makes perfect sense, is fluffy, frees up a special slot and gives the Empire General a much need competetive boost vs the AL.

Offline Wolfsgaum

• Members
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2010, 09:40:34 PM »
Empire Greatswords should get the same deal that Flagellants get in relation to the Warrior Priest. Makes perfect sense, is fluffy, frees up a special slot and gives the Empire General a much need competetive boost vs the AL.

That's pretty good too.

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2010, 10:52:45 PM »
totally agreed, likewise for a templar grand master and a core unit of inner circle knights but that's another thread.
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2010, 04:06:21 PM »
To bring a new point up...how about making them immune to panic? Wouldn´t be as incredible as immune to fear or terror but still a major advantage compared to other state troopers. Why should the bodyguards of an elector count run away because a bunch of pistoliers fled through them?

Offline Northern Storm

• Members
  • Retired from community as of 25 NOV 10
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2010, 08:41:29 AM »
To bring a new point up...how about making them immune to panic? Wouldn´t be as incredible as immune to fear or terror but still a major advantage compared to other state troopers. Why should the bodyguards of an elector count run away because a bunch of pistoliers fled through them?

That and they've in all probability seen the bloodiest fighting imaginable and have an oath never to take a step back in the face of the enemy. I know Stubborn technically covers this... but you'd think losing a few guys to arrows or seeing Handgunners running by wouldn't phase them either...

So agreed 100% on Immune to Panic.