home

Author Topic: 2023 Release Schedule for Age of Sigmar ...  (Read 1173 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
2023 Release Schedule for Age of Sigmar ...
« on: March 23, 2023, 08:57:46 AM »
Besides info on Cities of Sigmar, at the bottom of this article is a release schedule for Age of Sigmar products in 2023 ...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/23/get-your-first-look-at-the-human-soldiers-of-the-cities-of-sigmar/
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Captain Dob Van Dwi

• Members
  • Just jiven'
Re: 2023 Release Schedule for Age of Sigmar ...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 01:55:55 AM »
So my opinion has changed slightly..

But gosh those minis are still hot f@÷%#*g garbage. In the context of them being humans at least, if they were dwarves/duardin I would strangely like them. I do kinda like the Dragon Age 2 vibes I get from the shields.

So yeah, they have grown on my a tiny bit but all in all, from this preview at least, these models seem like a wasted opportunity. Each City is unique as are the individual uniforms of each Freeguild. I still have to wonder about where they are going with something so generic. Unless of course they are planning to retcon the whole previous CoS book.
I choose too keep "Old Warhammer" alive with my blood sweat and tears.

It's bad that warhammer might die but it would be a tragedy if it stays dead!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 07:29:28 AM »
With the release schedule showing the Cities of Sigmar book planned for the autumn of 2023, perhpas thta'll give us a better indication as ot how they're proceeding with humans in W:AoS.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2023, 10:09:04 AM »
With the release schedule showing the Cities of Sigmar book planned for the autumn of 2023, perhpas thta'll give us a better indication as ot how they're proceeding with humans in W:AoS.

Fact is I generally dislike a lot of the AoS releases. SC are basically SM ripoffs, Lumineth are just silly looking. Many of the Chaos releases are just too busy for my tastes, Bonereapers are just hideous and Overlords are just out of place. Gravelords have some great models, but many have this weird werewolf/vampire hybrid thing going on that I'm not sure about.

Honestly, of all the AoS specific models, only the Grand Alliance Destruction minis have universally piqued my interest. 

Truthfully, the new high fantasy look GW is going for on AoS mini is not drawing my eye.

I'm not holding out that much hope for CoS.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2023, 08:22:26 PM »

Fact is I generally dislike a lot of the AoS releases. SC are basically SM ripoffs, Lumineth are just silly looking. Many of the Chaos releases are just too busy for my tastes, Bonereapers are just hideous and Overlords are just out of place. Gravelords have some great models, but many have this weird werewolf/vampire hybrid thing going on that I'm not sure about.

Honestly, of all the AoS specific models, only the Grand Alliance Destruction minis have universally piqued my interest. 

Truthfully, the new high fantasy look GW is going for on AoS mini is not drawing my eye.

I'm not holding out that much hope for CoS.

Don't forget the (huge) increase in scale. The only AoS models I actually like are the Ghosts and "normal" Skeletons. I would have definitely bought them, but they are a head taller than anything I have and therefore incompatible ...

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 08:13:30 PM »
Really? I didn't know the models actually got bigger, by how much?

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2023, 03:02:40 PM »

https://www.goonhammer.com/the-goonhammer-guide-to-28mm-multipart-skeletons/

https://convertordie.wordpress.com/tag/deathrattle-skeletons/

The AoS humans (from Cursed City etc.) seem to be significantly taller than older Warhammer miniatures too. The size seems to be around 36-38mm judging by the following pictures. That's quite the change from 30-32mm.

I can't help but think that all this is done on purpose to invalidate older models to a certain degree.

These are the only pictures I could find to give you an idea:

https://www.brueckenkopf-online.com/2021/wip-unboxing-warhhamer-quest-cursed-city/

Some people will have no problem with such scale differences. But I do. Seems like they are going for more realistic proportions too, which I am not against, but in the end the scale difference just puts me off.

I can't help but think that this was done on purpose to invalidate older miniatures to some degree.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 02:21:04 PM by Victor »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023, 03:34:10 PM »
Not sure.  That picture shows them mounted on bases that project them a bit higher than they actually are from foot to head/eyes, or whatever folks use to measure these days.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2023, 03:49:55 PM »
I think its a combination, but ultimately I agree the scale is larger. Its exaggerated by two things in particular, larger bases (both wide AND tall) but also the much more kinetic poses. Look at the skeletons. A lot of the older ones kind of hunch forward as if marching. Newer ones are both standing taller, not as hunched, but usually broader. Makes them seem much bigger.

BUT on top of that a lot of the models ARE just bigger. Some of the human characters can be nearly space marine size at times, although thats MOSTLY particular characters like the Cursed City ones that are designed to stand out. I have a number of AoS elves and they're generally the same size as the old ones, but with some more realistic proportions. Dwarves are the same. When I match my slayers and fyreslayers up, the models are ROUGHLY the same size, but the fyreslayers look bigger because of the much more giant crests, dynamic/broader poses, and the little bit of increased scale.