home

Author Topic: Crews + Bogie Scouts = Useless War Machine; What can I do?  (Read 3985 times)

Offline Micharian

• Members
Crews + Bogie Scouts = Useless War Machine; What can I do?
« on: June 19, 2003, 08:03:58 PM »
Especially with the Lizard's new Chameleon Skinks, I fear for my crews.  I can't just place a couple of units around, because scouts can just be deployed out of sight.  I've contemplated throwing some pistoleers down to break the unit, but I need them more to tease the enemies front line.  What is the most effective way to protect my crews. providing that my Helblaster doesn't explode in the first Shooting Phase?[/quote]
Where are the Cheetos?
Can I have a Mountain Dew?
I wanna cast Magic Missile!

-just gotta love 8-bit D&D

Offline squirrelboy

• Members
Guard them.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 08:45:45 PM »
In my games i usually place them between units, but if not then i deploy them in a barricade.  With my barricade i leave a unit of swordsmen behind.  The unit usually is about 12 strong and holds a wizard.  In my expirence (yes i can spell  :oops: )  this can stop almost all of the scouts early game.  Deploymen between units certainly stops an early scout rush.  Also maybe outscout them in your woods?  : :wink:   You could also take a fast unit and stay there for awhile then run off into battle.  It really depends on ur opponent.  O this helps too:

Good Luck

-Squirrelboy
SqWEaK

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 09:52:35 PM »
This is an easy one, just put a detachment in front of your guns.  If you get to go first, move them out of the way and shoot.  If you go second, they would have to kill them all, THEN move out of the way and kill em!

(I'll need to send this one to Jewells for his article).
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline squirrelboy

• Members
Phoey
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2003, 10:19:51 PM »
atchman you make it seem so easy   8)
SqWEaK

Prince Nerhardt

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2003, 01:00:18 AM »
Ok, I have a thought, but I don't know if it works.  Could you include an engineer with a repeater pistol?  That's 7 attacks, 6 of which are strength 4 armour piercing, combined with some cheap magic armour or a even rod of command if you want to spend the points, plus the crew.  It gives you a chance of actually winning the combat, at least on paper.  Plus it's someone who would hang around back there anyway, and frees up your "real" troops.  I'd try it, but my engineer's under the brush and my main opponents don't use scouts.  What do you think?

Offline Albrecht von Hinkel

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2003, 08:15:36 AM »
Do you mean to protect your guns, might work. In your pistoliers does definitely work.

Offline intrepidjohnny

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2003, 10:54:53 AM »
Ok, I have a thought, but I don't know if it works. Could you include an engineer with a repeater pistol? That's 7 attacks, 6 of which are strength 4 armour piercing, combined with some cheap magic armour or a even rod of command if you want to spend the points, plus the crew. It gives you a chance of actually winning the combat, at least on paper. Plus it's someone who would hang around back there anyway, and frees up your "real" troops. I'd try it, but my engineer's under the brush and my main opponents don't use scouts. What do you think?

This might work but would be highly inefficient, paying 65 points and taking up a slot just to protect a cannon from a threat which can never come. I think that putting a bright wizard a couple of inches from the cannon is enough

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2003, 10:55:39 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean by 6 strength 4 attacks - are you including the stand and shoot? Otherwise, it's just 3 pistol attacks and one hand weapon...plus the crew....of course, the engineer would have to actually join the crew - fine for cannon or mortars, but not great for a helblaster (he can join but not use his re-roll).

By the way, how does the repeater pistol work for a mounted engineer?
He's not allowed to use it at the same time as a hand weapon (like the pistolier marksman is), so does he just get 3 pistol attacks?

As for protecting guns, a unit of archers could form a screen all the way around if you wanted, and since they have 360 degree line of sight it would be rather hard for anythting to sneak up on them.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Prince Nerhardt

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2003, 06:57:01 PM »
Sorry, yes, I was including stand and shoot.  My thought was that I'd have the engineer there anyway to help with the artillery, so he could serve double duty and help protect it as well.

A 67 point engineer with pistol and light armour is only 7 points more than 10 Free Co. with light armour, and is 13 points cheaper than 10 archers.  I'm always nervous about putting my wizards into situations that might put them in close combat.  I guess it's just a matter of personal preference, though, and I'm just speculating anyway.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2003, 12:52:59 PM »
I think it really depends on whether you want that character slot for something else. If you wanted to take an engineer anyway, the repeater pistol makes him a fairly good defender - probably a better choice than the more expensive (and popular) long rifle, since the long rifle's prime function is at odds with the engineer's (if he uses his re-roll, which you want him to if a misfire comes up, he then can't shoot the rifle. If he can't shoot the rifle, you have 20 points not doing an awful lot).
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.