home

Author Topic: What is Manowar?  (Read 7539 times)

Offline megamac20817

• Members
What is Manowar?
« on: February 22, 2004, 06:21:43 AM »
I really have no idea, could someone tell me?
You can give a man a sword, but that won't make him a soldier.
You can give a man a pen, but that won't make him a writer.

Offline FlameKnight

• Members
  • in your base, killing your dudes
What is Manowar?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 11:23:44 AM »
It is a Warhammer Fantasy ship game from ages ago. I never played it, so I'm not too sure of the details.

Anonymous

What is Manowar?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 02:09:30 PM »
I don't know alot either other than it was realy cool and its now discontunued. Think Battlefleet gothic for fantasy

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
What is Manowar?
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004, 02:15:09 PM »
whoops that post above was me!
Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
What is Manowar?
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2004, 04:14:12 PM »
ManOWar was a navel game, set in the Warhammer world.  The basic version was a great fighting sail game, quick and fun to play, and cheap to get into.  Wonderful beer and pretzels game as well.

Offline Clarkarias

• Members
  • Halton Hills, Ontario
What is Manowar?
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2004, 05:40:58 PM »
I guess you can say it's 'concepts' (not rules) are similar to Battle Fleet Gothic.  It's a small scale ship game...they need to bring it back.
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
What is Manowar?
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 12:37:57 PM »
Man o' War was fantastic. When it came out, I actually prefered it to 4th edition Warhammer. It was easy to play, pretty well balanced and all round great fun. Some people disliked all the templates and counters, but so long as you didn't play too large a game everything was fine.

However, I didn't much care for the expansions. The rules for flyers were badly thought out, the sea monsters were unnecessary and the chaos fleets were too powerful. If you stick to the basic game though, it's perfect.

Sadly, it's been out of production for years and nobody plays anymore. Man o' War stuff fetches high prices on ebay (and I should know, having made a fair amount of money that way myself :) ).
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Kyle

• Members
  • Blessed by Sigmar
What is Manowar?
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2004, 10:52:31 PM »
Games Workshop is bringing it back now, in the form of "Warhammer Ahoy" look out for it, it's coming out soon.
SIGMAR!
Visit: http://h1.ripway.com/TheTyranidHive/index1.html for all you Tyranid news and info.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
What is Manowar?
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2004, 12:05:24 PM »
Warhammer Ahoy is not Man'O'War. MoW was on a very small scale. Warhammer Ahoy is warhammer on water.

Man'o'war ruled. I still have a skaven, empire, bretonnian, dwarf and H.elf fleets.

rufus, the expansion packs were alright, the skaven especially, put your crew were you like brilliant. The flyers were a bit much but you could have Ack-ack fire as well. The monsters were a bit much. the Behmomth, the horned whale, use to sink my mate dwarf sub every game automatically, just come up below it, it take 1 hit below the water line and sinks, whale costs 50pts the sub cost 75pts. Not thought out but fun none the less.
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
What is Manowar?
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2004, 12:29:55 PM »
Hey FR1DAY,

I still have Empire, Dwarf, Bretonnian and High Elf fleets (though they're a bit on the battered side). It'd be great if we could get a game in sometime, I haven't played for years.

I didn't like the flyer rules because they tended to be either too powerful (High Elf Dragon) or too weak (Dwarf Baloons and Gyrocopters). Even the Dragon couldn't attack anything with three or more crew without dying, so they were only really useful for killing Dwarf Nautilus or Empire Helhammers. I just got the impression that not much playtesting had been done.

Likewise the sea monsters, and even more so for Chaos - once again they made Chaos wreck the power curve to a stupid degree. Skaven weren't so bad rules-wise, just a daft concept (I thought rats hid on other people's ships, not made their own). Another example of bad design - try a Norse fleet vs Dwarfs. Norse have no weapons and rely only on bording actions. Dwarfs can't be boarded until they take damage. :roll:

And there was no Undead fleet! It would have fitted perfectly, ghost ships, Blue Men, that kind of thing.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Ranor

• Members
What is Manowar?
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2004, 05:31:11 PM »
do you guys have any pictures of the models,  like the sound of it but don't know nothing of the game
What can a cannon do what a determined Dwarf with an axe can't do??

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
What is Manowar?
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2004, 06:26:34 PM »