home

Author Topic: Age of Sigmar with points?  (Read 2586 times)

Offline Pinn

• Members
Age of Sigmar with points?
« on: December 09, 2015, 06:39:48 AM »
I haven't been keeping up with Age of Sigmar at all, or anything Fantasy-related recently. My friends and I would like to get back into Fantasy, and we looked into AoS when it first came out but the no-point system was a huge turn off. An acquaintance recently told me that people that were involved in AoS design came up with a point/rule system that still uses the new AoS army lists. Is there any truth to that? I see this 9th Age thing, not sure if that's related. I'm not really up for learning a whole new rule system, I was just kind of hoping for basically point values added to everything that GW has provided in the rule PDFs.

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
Re: Age of Sigmar with points?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 07:10:14 AM »
Salutations friend!

First off, it's best to ask any AoS questions in the Age of Sigmar section to avoid confusion.

Now then, on to your question, there hasn't been any official points system added but many fan-made comps had been created just for that problem.

One of the most successful is the Azyr comp which I provided a link to their pdf rules. The balance they've worked out for the armies is quite impressive and many consider it the go-too comp.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&rct=j&q=age%20of%20Sigmar%20Azyr%20comp&ved=0ahUKEwjJjNKNms7JAhXF5CYKHU4YCb4QFggbMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.louisvillewargaming.com%2FFiles%2FAzyrComp.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFpZTwfxhXU0gSfXAnpKAyaTYAxXA

9th age is a different beast entirely and focuses on making a more balanced edition that resembles eighth with ranked formations. However, they've made drastic changes to it that puts it in a league of it's own.

If your looking for a 8.5 fan-made edition then go to the EEFL (Eighth edition for life) site.

Hope that helps! :smile2:

"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 02:05:20 PM »
The baron covered a good bit.  At the same time, some folks are going to "Kings of War".  It can all be a bit confusing.

I hadnt heard that the designers of W:AoS had come up with a point system, but they did water the rules for W:AoS down to 4 pages, and can't imagine that makes it too tough to learn.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline undivided.capital

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 07:52:26 PM »
My friends and I have been using:
http://www.scrollbuilder.com/

i stepped away from anything fantasy until AoS set in a bit. Now we are eating it up. Love the game and these points really help.

Also we have a house rule that summoners can only summon things they have paid the points for!

Happy gaming!
Thanks,

Sam Taylor

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 10:59:25 PM »
Problem with points is that some units will eventually be an auto take and some units will be shelfed again as they are *statistically* worse then another unit.

The best part in my opinion is the no points stuff to give more freedom in what you bring to the table.
Now the points can be used as an aid to determine a balance at the end of deployment to maybe even the scale a bit more..
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline undivided.capital

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 06:24:00 PM »
So far with points it has seemed very balanced. I think it may be because it is an algorithm that decides the cost taking into account everything on the warscroll.

I mean eventually we may find some stuff that is just a "must take" but that would also happen in any other system wouldn't it?
Thanks,

Sam Taylor

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 07:22:04 PM »
I've not played using any kind of points system.  Have done using wounds, and saying 30% on monsters and heroes of those wounds.   Nearly always use a battleplan,  my Local GW did a D66 chart to roll for them, out of all the ones in books so far.   The scenario and deployment can drastically affect the result, even if you use the same armies, and sometimes you end up suited to defending, other times attacking.   

Sent from my thingamajig via wadyamacallit