home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 807283 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #10425 on: February 16, 2017, 01:01:32 AM »
Civ IV! The Dutch nation is furious!

The computer suspiciously founded two cities next to the mountain only a couple of turns before my settler arrived. Booooo.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #10426 on: February 16, 2017, 01:10:26 AM »
Oh, the Dutch are great.

I don't remember whether I ever bothered with that Holy Mountain quest. Usually the bloody thing is at the other end of the map.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #10427 on: February 16, 2017, 08:14:23 AM »
The Dutch + mountains just feels wrong.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10428 on: February 16, 2017, 11:07:49 AM »
I love playing as the Dutch. Creative/Financial is great, and their unique building is good on island maps.

I've never completed the holy mountain quest, but this time I was so close! I needed an ocean-going ship to get there, but the Americans could just skim across on their galleys. It was annoying because the computer clearly cheated to know the location of the mountain.
If I wanted to.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #10429 on: February 16, 2017, 11:11:28 AM »
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #10430 on: February 16, 2017, 12:03:16 PM »
Oh, the Dutch are great.
Thank you!

I started playing Mordheim a while ago, but stopped after a short while, with the intention of finishing some story-driven games before getting stuck in another endless game... and then I got distracted by all the other pretty games out there ;). Might need to go back sometime, see what the mercs have been up to.

Currently playing Prison Architect, which is fun, albeit a bit limited in the number of options...
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #10431 on: February 16, 2017, 06:15:09 PM »
I got really into prison architect for awhile. Came up with some grand plans, but eventually just kinda forgot about it to play other stuff.

I've been playing Xcom 2 recently. I like it and it's fun, but it's just not holding my attention. I think I'm still a bit burned out from playing Long War 1 for almost 100 hours or something.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #10432 on: February 16, 2017, 11:01:04 PM »
Oh, the Dutch are great.
Thank you!

For some reason I thought you were Canadian!

I love playing as the Dutch. Creative/Financial is great, and their unique building is good on island maps.

Me too. Elizabeth is also great. Strangely though, AI-controlled Elizabeth always gets her pale posterior handed to her in my other games. She must be very bad at diplomacy.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #10433 on: February 17, 2017, 06:30:50 AM »
I'm back to modding Warcraft 3 for the moment, at least until 'Banks' update for Stellaris drops.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #10434 on: February 17, 2017, 07:03:20 AM »
I'm back to modding Warcraft 3 for the moment, at least until 'Banks' update for Stellaris drops.

I'm trying to get a game of Stellaris finished before the Banks release, every release update is almost like playing a different game!
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10435 on: February 17, 2017, 10:39:49 AM »

Me too. Elizabeth is also great. Strangely though, AI-controlled Elizabeth always gets her pale posterior handed to her in my other games. She must be very bad at diplomacy.

Maybe she over-expands? Some leaders always manage to crash their economies and end up lagging behind on technology.

I find it quite hard to play without the financial trait!
If I wanted to.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #10436 on: February 17, 2017, 11:33:01 AM »

I'm trying to get a game of Stellaris finished before the Banks release, every release update is almost like playing a different game!

Main problem with that is, there is no way to go back. Once you download the update, you cant even continue playing the old save, which sucks. But im glad it is a living game and they are keeping it fresh.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #10437 on: February 17, 2017, 01:24:10 PM »
Well I play through Steam and I believe that has a function where you can just revert to an older version? (never used it though).

I might have to look into that, or look into a way to disable the auto-update of games (or just Stellaris) within Steam. Just if I run out of time, and that's always possible, the end game drags on with me slowly trying to conquer more and more but I still have to watch out for 3 big alliances (one managed to take two systems from me while I was engaged in another war).

But I will see the Saproling Kingdom conquer and purge all!! (or at least until victorious)

PhillyT

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #10438 on: February 17, 2017, 03:15:29 PM »
Oh, the Dutch are great.
Thank you!
For some reason I thought you were Canadian!
Sorry! Didn't mean to give you the wrong impression, eh ;)?
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #10439 on: February 17, 2017, 09:44:47 PM »
There is a method through steam to revert to a previous update. It's used a lot by people with certain mods that havn't been updated alongside the base game.  If you right click on the game in your steam library and go to properties you can find the patch history. Just revert to the last one, and the game will update/install to that version.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #10440 on: February 17, 2017, 11:07:57 PM »
Maybe she over-expands? Some leaders always manage to crash their economies and end up lagging behind on technology.

Not in my games - I think she was meant to be stuck on some unassailable little island from where she can tell the religious leaders to bugger off. That doesn't work so well when you have them next door...

If you like island maps, have you ever tried playing as the Portuguese? That carrack is almost a game-breaker.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10441 on: February 19, 2017, 10:12:02 AM »
I like island maps because I hate starting next to other civs.

I hadn't tried playing as the Portuguese, but I did last night. The carrack is certainly very useful!
If I wanted to.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #10442 on: February 19, 2017, 06:30:44 PM »
The Idonesians are also great on an island map.

PhillyT

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #10443 on: February 19, 2017, 06:34:00 PM »
I like island maps because I hate starting next to other civs.

Haha, me too. I've gone as far as modding maps so I can have an isolated start. "Just leave me alone, people!" Besides, it's interesting to see how the other civs develop when you don't interfere.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #10444 on: February 19, 2017, 06:38:39 PM »
One of my major bug bears with Civ VI actually. There's no small continents option anymore, only island and continent. Island is often shitty and tiny with not even enough room for a good second city, and continent almost always gives me 2 immediate neighbors. I HATE IT. And the bastards wil settle in any crack in your territory that barely allows them to place a city. I hated that more than anything else. Maybe that has changed, I haven't actually played since a week after launch or so.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 06:40:51 PM by Aldaris »

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #10445 on: February 19, 2017, 07:13:46 PM »
Doesn't the game have a map editor?

(I really don't know.)

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #10446 on: February 19, 2017, 07:26:45 PM »
I'm sure it does (I don't know either). I can't be bothered to make my own scenarios though, especially for a standard option that existed before, and I certainly can't be bothered to learn to meddle with AI scripts so it won't constantly settle the dumbest spots imaginable just because it built a settler and goes for the nearest spot that isn't red.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10447 on: March 01, 2017, 09:16:39 AM »
I don't know if witcher 3 is the best game I've ever played, or it's just recentness bias making me think that.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #10448 on: March 01, 2017, 10:18:31 AM »
Recentness bias?

PhillyT

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10449 on: March 01, 2017, 10:50:32 AM »
I'm sure there's a proper term for it. I like it better because I'm playing it now and can remember it all, where as other amazing games (Kotor, ocarina etc) I played ages ago so can't judge correctly. Not sure though!

I find it happens a lot with sport as well, in the way things are reported.

i'm trying to think of other recent games that i've played a lot and enjoyed.
In terms of storytelling, quest details, choices mattering, world building, gameplay, soundtrack, RPG mechanics (less watered down than skyrim and Mass Effect), scope detail and quality of the open world (actually feels populated. Stuff to do all over the open world)... maybe it's not the best at each of those things, but as a unified package it's fucking incredible.

I know it got hype, but it seems not much on this forum, where as a medieval world with monsters, magic, and puffy sleeves should appeal to this forum a lot (although the world is a bit grimdarker than I prefer to imagine my warhammer)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 11:04:09 AM by Finlay »
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.