home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 812289 times)

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #10725 on: June 25, 2017, 05:38:22 PM »
In finding the actual combat in total warhammer pretty unsatisfying, but maybe that's just dwarfs. You're meant to receive charges but enemy just run around you, and you can't reposition

You can reposition, though it takes time for a unit to do so. So a really fast unit can out maneuvre them.
But with a selected unit you can drag a square and depending on which way the arrows (per model) point towards to that will be the new position
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #10726 on: June 25, 2017, 10:08:55 PM »
It takes a fair bit of practice but I found I was able to reposition in time for charges. Once you get gyrocopters it becomes easier because you can use them to chase the light horse off long enough to receive the charge, then send the Gyro's off to destroy whatever siege engines they have.

Generally, I really liked the game. Although compared to CK2 diplomacy there's not much there. I also wish you could turn the chaos invasion off or have different time periods. It's not as fun to replay the factions when you know the big boss each time.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #10727 on: June 25, 2017, 10:17:53 PM »
Play the combat with Beastmen.  It is so fun.  I love watching my minotaur charge into infantry.  They go sailing through the air in a cloud of blood.

I just finished a 21 hour campaign on Stellaris.  I was the Imperium of Man, a Militaristic Authoritarian Materialist Human Imperium.  I ended up going full synthetic and became the Adeptus Mechanus.  Very powerful conversion.

The best part was that I ended up spending almost 200 years gearing up to face off toe to toe with the Awakened Empire, the Directors.  They were by far the most powerful empire and right on my border.  I cultivated the right tech to face them, flak cannons, kinetic batteries, and Mega cannons.  I got the perk that gives +33% damage against awakened and stagnant empires.  I built a fleet with a capacity of 2200.  I managed to catch on of their 260k fleets alone and killed it.  And then we had two 600k fleets collide in a sector we both controlled a planet in.  I annihilated them, losing about 150K but completely destroying them.  I then captured two of their ring worlds and 5 planets that were already within my Empire's borders, and accepted peace.

The game was finished at that point.  I made a quick war to vassalize the second largest remaining empires which allowed me to hit 40% and win.

Great game and satisfying to have my centuries long plan come to a successful conculsion!
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10728 on: June 26, 2017, 09:31:35 AM »
beastmen and wood elves are 10 quid each though!

waiting for a bigger sale for those I think, although I am very tempted by the wood elf one.

I'm struggling with the deployment of my artillery and quarrelers- getting them good LoS and firing lanes, but not just being immediately charged

I know how to actually shuffle my units, but vs cavalry they just carry on round the side and get in that way.

I think the most fun battle I has was 1800 dwarfs vs 4000 undead- but basically all zombies and skeletons.

The hardest was a "beast path" one where I couldn't get good LoS on them before combat.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #10729 on: June 26, 2017, 03:52:45 PM »
I don't think I've ever properly, effectively used the ambush setting. Yet those are some of the most enjoyable maps for me. Even when I'm getting ambushed, trying to quickly get into position to defend is fun.

I picked up the chaos warriors dlc, but I'm also waiting on bigger sales for the wood elves or beasts. I may pick up the king and the warlord dlc, but I don't know if I plan to replay either faction.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #10730 on: June 27, 2017, 02:00:28 AM »
So i bought WH total war. Not sure if my machine will run it.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #10731 on: June 27, 2017, 02:33:15 PM »
I have a fairly only machine and I ran it.

I loved the Beastmen campaign.  I roamed from Brettonia up and around into the western Empire and then swept through to Sylvania and down into the orc country.  Beastmen need to move move move and kill since they have no mechanism to maintain economy.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10732 on: June 27, 2017, 02:37:33 PM »
I love Company of Heroes multiplayer. (mainly AI stomping with my bro).
I heard terrible things about CoH2.
Is it ok for multiplayer?

Pass the machete.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #10733 on: June 27, 2017, 02:49:22 PM »
I love Company of Heroes multiplayer. (mainly AI stomping with my bro).
I heard terrible things about CoH2.
Is it ok for multiplayer?

I've played a couple co-op missions with my pal. We had fun. The weather system is really cool. Try it out, but don't expect a game on par with its predecessor.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #10734 on: June 27, 2017, 03:20:11 PM »
Which is really par for the course on Relic.  DoW and CoH were incredible.  Then DoW 2 was really rather blah.  Then CoH2 was pretty much mediocre.  the DoW3 was complete and utter shit.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10735 on: June 27, 2017, 03:32:14 PM »
I feel like surely someone could make a really good CoH style game updated now. CoH is 11 years old!

Fucking good, though.

the DoW 3 stuff I saw early did absolutely nothing for me. Didn't follow it at all.

I'm looking at the banner saga 2 in steam sale.
I absolutely loved the first one.

Pass the machete.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #10736 on: June 27, 2017, 04:06:38 PM »
I have CoH2 and I've had a fair bit of fun with it. I'd echo the others, it's not as great as the first but still decent. I liked the weather system as well.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #10737 on: June 29, 2017, 01:23:36 AM »
I'm enjoying shadows of Mordor. There's something so pleasant about just carving your way through a horde of orcs, and the nemesis system is great. I let a bunch of captains escape early on because I couldn't be bothered to chase them. Now they've all come back with scars and metal plates bolted on. More powerful, and generally ambushing me.

It did lead to a rather annoying moment when in the middle of a sneaking mission four captain all appeared at the same time. I'm not really sure how their ambush mechanics work. I was on top of a building scoping the little town area out, and all of a sudden the animation starts for a captain shouting at you. Then a second one, then a third one, then a fourth one. Next thing I know hundreds of uruk are swarming towards my position.

So I released a bunch of caragors and watched them feast on most of the horde.

Great stuff.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #10738 on: July 06, 2017, 08:29:35 PM »
Doomfist for Overwatch has been announced and I have heard is on the PTR.  The trailer looks sick!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaZfZFNuOpI

Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #10739 on: July 13, 2017, 04:42:47 AM »
In finding the actual combat in total warhammer pretty unsatisfying, but maybe that's just dwarfs. You're meant to receive charges but enemy just run around you, and you can't reposition

Sounds, then, like the AI is doing something right. Charging frontally head-on into the heaviest infantry in the world doesn't sound like a battle-winning concept.

When playing Empire, the enemy does usually go for my main infantry line. But then, it's a less-than-superheavy line of halberdiers, and the enemy is kind of forced to do that to shut down the handgunners I have in front (which thus serve the tactical purpose of pulling in the enemy and forcing him to commit, after which the handgunners themselves reposition).
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #10740 on: July 19, 2017, 02:43:06 PM »
I think I'll be getting Sundered. I'm a sucker for good art direction.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:45:16 PM by patsy02 »
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10741 on: July 19, 2017, 03:16:27 PM »
did you play Banner Saga?

Pass the machete.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #10742 on: July 19, 2017, 09:37:34 PM »
Banner Saga looked like Hanna-Barbera art style, which I absolutely cannot stand.

Sundered is the new game from the makers of Jotun, isn't it?  I got Jotun free over the weekend, it also has hints of Hanna-Barbera and the combat is rather clumsy.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #10743 on: July 20, 2017, 12:23:03 AM »
I'm currently playing Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. It's your usual Clancy stuff - good, old USA vs evil Russians (of the usual ultranationalist quality). With Tom Clancy it is always the same - either Russians did it, or the Arabs. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. The game's really cool and has nice stealth and shooting mechanics.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 05:08:57 AM by Xathrodox86 »
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10744 on: July 20, 2017, 01:17:57 AM »
I wouldn't have said banner Saga is like Hanna barbera at all

Pass the machete.

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #10745 on: July 20, 2017, 07:01:27 AM »
I'm currently playing Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. It's your usual Clancy stuff - good, old USA vs evil Russians (of the usual ultranationalist quality). With Tom Clancy it is always the same - either Russians did it, or the Arabs. Not tam I'm complaining, mind you. The game's really cool and has nice stealth and shooting mechanics.
Or China! Currently reading threat vector, and China is the bad guy in it.
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #10746 on: July 21, 2017, 05:09:53 AM »
I'm currently playing Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. It's your usual Clancy stuff - good, old USA vs evil Russians (of the usual ultranationalist quality). With Tom Clancy it is always the same - either Russians did it, or the Arabs. Not tam I'm complaining, mind you. The game's really cool and has nice stealth and shooting mechanics.
Or China! Currently reading threat vector, and China is the bad guy in it.

Ok, sometimes it's South Americans as well. :-P

By the way, Warhammer games are on sale on Steam. Grab yourselves some cool titles. I've bought the Norsca DLC as well as a bunch of stuff for Space Marine, DoW and Vermintide. :blush:

Gneisenau

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #10747 on: July 21, 2017, 06:55:06 AM »
I wanted to try Banner Saga, but I'm not a huge fan of tactical RPG gameplay.

Banner Saga looked like Hanna-Barbera art style, which I absolutely cannot stand.
I wouldn't have said banner Saga is like Hanna barbera at all
I can see the similarity to Scooby Doo's art style now that Brad mentioned it. I think it mainly comes from the character poses, and also the pseudo-realistic cartoon style.
http://guides.gamepressure.com/thebannersaga/gfx/word/511272793.jpg
http://guides.gamepressure.com/thebannersaga/gfx/word/507933062.jpg
http://guides.gamepressure.com/thebannersaga/gfx/word/511272996.jpg

(obviously banner saga looks better)

Sundered is the new game from the makers of Jotun, isn't it?  I got Jotun free over the weekend, it also has hints of Hanna-Barbera and the combat is rather clumsy.

Dunno, never tried it. I'll wait until reviews are out of course, before getting Sundered. Never pre order!
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10748 on: July 21, 2017, 07:53:06 AM »
I really really loved banner saga. Difficulty, story, gameplay, art, music.

One of my favourite recent games.

Pass the machete.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #10749 on: July 21, 2017, 09:31:32 AM »
Also really loved Banner Saga. Story was great, loved the art style, and the tactical elements were fun and simple, but allowed a good amount of depth.

That said I can see why some would think it looks a little cartoony.

I'm still playing Shadows of Mordor and having a good time. All the main missions I play super stealthy. However running from one mission across the map to the other raises some attention, so I usually end up going on a rampage for the fun of it. I've also been having some fun helping promote an orc from unnamed minion to warchief. He must be pretty suspicious why the ranger guy who slaughters hundreds of his friends and family keeps showing up and just standing in front of him until he dies.