home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 812278 times)

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #425 on: July 21, 2011, 01:04:33 PM »
I pickup up James Bond:Blood Stone a few weeks back when steam had it for $30.

Here's my review:

As generic cover based shooter with a generic storyline I was surprised to find that I actually had a lot of fun with this game. The gameplay was solid and playing Bond is as cool as it ever was. Daniel Craig steps up the martial action and the takedowns feel as painful as they look.
Car chase sequences broke up the cover-based shooting but were not long enough to detract from the chief gameplay mechanics or story.
Cutscenes are plentiful but never long enough to need to skip. The action sequences are, of course, cliche and you can't help but come away from them with a pity concussion for Bond.
Playing for the single purpose of kicking-arse as Bond was enough for me and the changing scenery and gameplay kept things fresh.

The single player campaign only took me 90 minutes on normal according to Steam; although I did play every section as if I was trying to stop an immanent biological catastrophe. Pick this up for $35 or less.

7.5/10
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #426 on: July 21, 2011, 02:22:09 PM »
Does it have a hotseat mode?

The Main game....yes the demo I am not sure about. I check this evening.

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #427 on: July 21, 2011, 04:18:18 PM »
Homefront was an okay shooter, but as said, its too short. Only about 4 hours for me, shorter than call of duty!
But i liked the story, but way too short.

I havent played multiplayer though  :engel: So maybe it is better there?
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

• Members
« Reply #428 on: July 21, 2011, 04:38:11 PM »
Just to tempt me more to buy this game or force people to gift it to me before christmas (I won´t do it ..NEVER!)

here some ingame footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V19yN0ox3Pk&feature=related

Bloody dawn a Combat mission battle report.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #429 on: July 21, 2011, 07:03:49 PM »
Just to tempt me more to buy this game or force people to gift it to me before christmas (I won´t do it ..NEVER!)

here some ingame footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V19yN0ox3Pk&feature=related

Bloody dawn a Combat mission battle report.

I am intrigued by this game. It's a bit ... pricey. I will see what I can swing, but I make no promises. I gots bills to pay.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #430 on: July 21, 2011, 07:07:06 PM »
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (I loved 1 and 2 but this was crap)

Something is incredibly wrong with you (not really). What didn't you like about it?
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #431 on: July 21, 2011, 07:12:33 PM »
I have a confession guys and gals: I have a nasty habit of playing games, getting to the last level, and then stop playing.  Not because its tough, I just say "I've played for X hours straight. Let me take a break and I'll come back to it later." Only to never come back to it later.

list of games I need to finish:
Transformers:War for Cybertron
Red Faction Guerrilla
Aliens V Predator
Fallout 3 (with addons)
Fallout: New Vegas (without addons)
The Force Unleashed
Assassins Creed
Assassins Creed 2
Red Alert 3
Elder Scrolls V: Oblivion

I do on the other hand seem to keep replaying other games to death like Mass Effect 1 and 2.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #432 on: July 21, 2011, 07:19:12 PM »
I have a confession guys and gals: I have a nasty habit of playing games, getting to the last level, and then stop playing.  Not because its tough, I just say "I've played for X hours straight. Let me take a break and I'll come back to it later." Only to never come back to it later.

Red Faction Guerrilla
Aliens V Predator
Fallout 3 (with addons)
The Force Unleashed
Assassins Creed
Assassins Creed 2
Red Alert 3

I do on the other hand seem to keep replaying other games to death like Mass Effect 1 and 2.

I do this sometimes too. Usually this is because I borrow games a lot rather than buy them. A lot of times it's just because I lose interest. I satisfy whatever I wanted from the game and then I don't need to go any further. I am not an obsessive completionist by any measure. I did, however complete RDR 100%, and then keep playing it. I had to literally tear myself away from it and return it.

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #433 on: July 21, 2011, 07:21:33 PM »
I put an obscene amount of hours into Oblivion (about 100 into vanilla and another 250+ into my modded version) and never got past the 3rd or 4th mainline quest. Considering what I've heard about the rest of it, I haven't missed anything.
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #434 on: July 21, 2011, 07:39:18 PM »
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (I loved 1 and 2 but this was crap)

Something is incredibly wrong with you (not really). What didn't you like about it?

I bought and finished "Brotherhood", but I also felt it was inferior to AC2. First, I didn't find the overall story nearly as involving as the one in AC2. It had plenty of good individual missions, but overall...

Second, I didn't like Rome as much as the previous settings. Rome just didn't feel very well designed. Compare it to Venice. Venice was literally covered in awesome rooftop racetracks, freerunning was a ton of fun all on its own. Rome on the other hand... it often felt like a chore getting from A to B.

Third, while the idea of apprentices was pretty cool, it made the game way too easy. 20 guards? Yawn. Point, click. Apprentices appear, pewpewpew, all guards are dead. Not fun.

And fourth, the fact that the whole game was set in one city made it very repetitve. AC2 had so many distinct and beautiful locations, Rome on the other hand felt very samey.

It wasn't a bad game by any means, but nowhere near as good as AC2 in my opinion.

• Members
« Reply #435 on: July 21, 2011, 10:19:34 PM »
Ok combat mission demo has a hotseat huzzah.

Oh and Panther tanks rock 4 shermans and 3 M-10 eaten the last of the M-10 at very short range (about 100 metres) both tanks exchanging about 3 rounds before the m-10 popped.

I like this game......a lot.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #436 on: July 21, 2011, 10:21:57 PM »
Ok combat mission demo has a hotseat huzzah.

Oh and Panther tanks rock 4 shermans and 3 M-10 eaten the last of the M-10 at very short range (about 100 metres) both tanks exchanging about 3 rounds before the m-10 popped.

I like this game......a lot.

I downloaded the demo. I discovered that sending my shermans rolling down the road all by themselves was a bad idea.

And mortars need line of sight? What? Madness.

• Members
« Reply #437 on: July 21, 2011, 10:25:03 PM »
No Mortars need either a spotter or any other guy with a radio (and them close to their command group with a radio) then you can order them via artillery orders.

You can also just have a spotter very close to them and shout to the mortar crew where the bad guys are.

If you play elite your tank crew doesn´t even know where their buddies are especially when they crawl down inside that tank. Spotting is a major part of the game depending on difficulty level it can be near impossible to wiggle out lone infantry units so you often have to order area fire to get the job done.

It takes some time to figure out all the options of the game...it takes even longer to master it. I always lost against my brother the basterd was trained in the German army as Leutnant (airborne) and he talked all kind of strange stuff like Panzersack, or frog leap advance....he kicked my ass all of the games (well except the one in a nightfight) I managed to destroy his panther with some molotow cocktails.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:27:42 PM by Fandir Nightshade »

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #438 on: July 21, 2011, 11:53:44 PM »
snip

I wasn't incredibly bothered by how easy the game was (even compared to the other two), but I can at least see how that (and your other complaints) would annoy people. I also thought AC2 was better.

That said, it was still one of the better games I played last year, and I thought the combat (discounting the assassintants [I liked the concept but thought the execution made them a bit too much of a win button, not that those aren't nice, but...]) was incredibly improved.

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #439 on: July 22, 2011, 03:24:21 AM »
playing New Vegas and I finally did Arcade Gannon's loyalty quest.  After talking to all the remnats I kind of want to get the original fallout games and play them, having never played them before.

But again I tried playing the endgame and it froze mid battle. :dry:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #440 on: July 22, 2011, 03:42:22 AM »
You should have gotten them on GOG when they were $3 each a few weeks back!

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #441 on: July 22, 2011, 04:03:58 AM »
no money
― Jake the Dog

Online Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #442 on: July 22, 2011, 04:09:21 AM »
snip

I wasn't incredibly bothered by how easy the game was (even compared to the other two), but I can at least see how that (and your other complaints) would annoy people. I also thought AC2 was better.

That said, it was still one of the better games I played last year, and I thought the combat (discounting the assassintants [I liked the concept but thought the execution made them a bit too much of a win button, not that those aren't nice, but...]) was incredibly improved.

Agree.

I am a big fan of the Assassin's Creed series, and I have to say, Brotherhood was the least impressive of th 3 so far. Having it set in the one city is the key downside - even though they made that city huge, had multiple different terrain sets, a feeling of towns, etc, it just feels too contained. I think if they made it Rome, Ostia and Naples, it would have been much better. And they wouldn't have needed anywhere near as much 'open field' terrain within the city walls...
Being able to leave at will would have retained the 'coming and going' feeling of the previous titles. This is my biggest complaint, and AC4 looks to be the same. It seems to be set in Constantinople, though it does look to be during multiple time periods, (Altair, Ezio, Desmnd) which should mix it up a little.

Secondly, the Borgia towers, upgrading shops, buying equipment and find treasure cycle was the game. There was WAY too much of that. The game got repetitive in the same way the First one got repetitive. It almost felt like a neverending facebook grinding game.

I didn't mind the Apprentices, however they were just a bit too overpowered. And again, leveling them up was just like another facebook minigame, and once levelled, they were unstoppable against the guards.
Again, the Leonardo and Romulus missions felt also like mingames, and I have never been a huge fan of the gimmick mechanics for the inventions. The missions themselves were decent, and gave an excuse for infiltrating a place, but they felt too much like a sideshow.

The combat was much better than number 2. Number 2 had way too much hitting before the kill, this one had the right balance, and was perfect to me.
And the percentage synchronisaton was a good and bad addition. 50% or 100%? Where is the variences inbetween?

I did like the training missios in the Animus - though perhaps would have been better placed in number 1 or 2. A bit too lte for this one.

Overall it was a few steps forward in mechanics, but a few steps back in narrative / level design, and whole bunch of steps back in busywork ad achievements. I spents much too long doing the same thing over and over again just to get the achievements to increase the percentage. I really don't want to do that, but I still want to feel like there was more of a game there - I had no such compunction to go back and find all the flags in AC1 or the feathers in AC2.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Online Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #443 on: July 22, 2011, 05:20:59 AM »

Red Faction Guerrilla
Aliens V Predator
Fallout 3 (with addons)
The Force Unleashed
Assassins Creed
Assassins Creed 2
Red Alert 3

I'm like that too.

Metroid Prime (SOOOO close to finishing this one - can't remember the controls now)
Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Halo 3
Zelda Windwaker
Zelda and the Phantom Hourglass (SOOOO close to finishing this one - can't remember the controls now)
Perfect Dark

And then there are a whole bunch of others that I own, but have barely played...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• Members
« Reply #444 on: July 22, 2011, 09:17:46 AM »
I start to like battlefront again....the internet says that they even made it possible to play hotseat AND play by email pbem possible....with the DEMO version of the game. Three scenarios from only two squads and some tanks to a full company fighting off the ravaging hordes of the Yankees.

I am still happy that I managed to hold off their large horde of about 6 sherman tanks and hundreds of infantry with only two packs and several half sections of Grenadiers.

Someone made a tutorial for that mission perhaps it enlightens some of you trying to fire mortars in a straight line of fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbE8795rt2s

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #445 on: July 22, 2011, 09:31:34 AM »
Well, you can show me combat mission tomorrow. Sounds and looks interesting!

• Members
« Reply #446 on: July 22, 2011, 09:37:19 AM »
It is but most will find it lacking the speed rush of adrenaline it takes loads of time and sitting half an hour waiting for your opponent to finish his turn is boring as hell. It is fine if you can do other stuff while waiting though and the surprise when you see what crazy stuff your opponent is doing. Shelling your lone sniper as he thinks a pak is hiding there, driving his tanks through your flank at full speed trying to catch you with your pants down only to realize you have some engineers and panzershrek teams positioned for exactly that occasion do his military genius. (ok ok I forgot them there).

Or just seeing how a tank duel turns out....to tanks passing by at close range only 50 metres the turrets turning, the first one shoots....and misses. SHIT! The other one shoots and the shell bounces off the thick armour next shot ....tank down. And no tank hunter teams around only infantry with rifles.....getting close enough to a tank to destroy it with hand grenades is almost impossible. My brother liked to drive up front close enough to my lines to give me hope of trying...charging out and throwing a demo charge at the steel beast only to kick in the reverse driving back my poor soldiers stumbling after it over open ground....getting shot to pieces by the machine guns he had placed along the forest ridge.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #447 on: July 22, 2011, 11:17:25 AM »
Fandir, no wonder you never paint anything, you've played every game ever!

I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

• Members
« Reply #448 on: July 22, 2011, 11:52:47 AM »
Fandir, no wonder you never paint anything, you've played every game ever!

Twice.

:closed-eyes:

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #449 on: July 22, 2011, 04:18:07 PM »
I just downloaded the demo of Combat Mission. You got me curious.