home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 812290 times)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #675 on: September 01, 2011, 01:35:42 AM »
tropico 3 has a bit of a learning curve but its not bad.  pretty fun.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #676 on: September 01, 2011, 03:11:45 AM »
My parents are rich, I'm not. Big difference.
That's something only rich kids say. I have never uttered the phrase: "My parents are poor, I'm not."

If your parents are rich, then unless they disown you and you are living in a van down by the river, you're pretty rich too.  :::cheers:::
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Online Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #677 on: September 01, 2011, 03:35:18 AM »
Yes and no.

Rich kids aren't actually rich if their parents are smart at teaching the kids the value of money. They may get some stuff, but its not just a limitless purse they would have access to, as people were implying.

"My parents are poor, I'm not."
People don't say that because no one wants to admit they come from a poor background, and no one is going to pressure you about it if you did.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #678 on: September 01, 2011, 05:35:22 AM »
Yes and no.

Rich kids aren't actually rich if their parents are smart at teaching the kids the value of money. They may get some stuff, but its not just a limitless purse they would have access to, as people were implying.

People don't say that because no one wants to admit they come from a poor background, and no one is going to pressure you about it if you did.

Rich kids don't have to live without Kraft brand Macaroni and Cheese because it's too expensive either. I grew up poor, and I can tell you there's not a huge difference between your parents having money, and you having money. You might feel it's a trial to have to pay for your own place and whatever, but you were still given nice things even if sometimes mommy and daddy wouldn't let you have that new car to teach you the value of working for your money. It's infuriatingly pretentious to say: "I'm not rich, my parents are." Just say the truth: "I'm being forced to pay my own way for awhile." It's not like if you fail you're going to end up in a trailer park or a cardboard box like I would have. You're still going to have money and support from your wealthy parents. They don't hate you, after all.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #679 on: September 01, 2011, 06:07:29 AM »
I did for awhile.  I am proud (or was proud) that I came from a poor working class background and made something of myself on my own.  But then I threw it all away and went to college.

I wish tropico had a total war element, the ability to attack other islands.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #680 on: September 01, 2011, 10:15:43 AM »
Yes and no.

Rich kids don't have to live without Kraft brand Macaroni and Cheese because it's too expensive either. I grew up poor, and I can tell you there's not a huge difference between your parents having money, and you having money. You might feel it's a trial to have to pay for your own place and whatever, but you were still given nice things even if sometimes mommy and daddy wouldn't let you have that new car to teach you the value of working for your money. It's infuriatingly pretentious to say: "I'm not rich, my parents are." Just say the truth: "I'm being forced to pay my own way for awhile." It's not like if you fail you're going to end up in a trailer park or a cardboard box like I would have. You're still going to have money and support from your wealthy parents. They don't hate you, after all.
I see what you mean, but you're wrong. You're painting a black and white picture- you imply that you're either rich or poor. I don't have to tell you how wrong that is.

Myself, I come from a wealthy background (not proud of it, it's just the way it is) but I don't have that much money. I wouldn't call myself poor, but I'm a long way from rich too.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #681 on: September 01, 2011, 10:17:12 AM »
I did for awhile.  I am proud (or was proud) that I came from a poor working class background and made something of myself on my own.  But then I threw it all away and went to college.

I wish tropico had a total war element, the ability to attack other islands.

You might like the Anno games.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #682 on: September 01, 2011, 10:20:48 AM »
I see what you mean, but you're wrong. You're painting a black and white picture- you imply that you're either rich or poor. I don't have to tell you how wrong that is.

Myself, I come from a wealthy background (not proud of it, it's just the way it is) but I don't have that much money. I wouldn't call myself poor, but I'm a long way from rich too.

That is not the point, the point is that if you were poor or are poor or come from a poor family you know the fear of existance the fear to not being able to pay for food clothes or shelter. A rich person or a kid of a rich person would never know this fear. Starving for a week because there is no money at all is something most of us never ever have to endure. Poor people even in America or Germany or the Netherlands might have experienced this.

For rich people it is just less access to gimmicks they actually don´t really need which is considered teaching them kids to value money. Fear of existance is a whole different story.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #683 on: September 01, 2011, 10:48:08 AM »

I see your point, but that's not really what I was trying to say.
What I'm trying to say is that your parents are going to provide for you to the best of their ability. In your cases, part of that includes withholding luxuries to help you learn to appreciate those luxuries and their value. In my case it was sometimes them going without food so I wouldn't have to, not buying shoes until the soles fell off, and things of that nature. It's not about your individual situation, it's the fact that you were and are privy to many more social and fiscal advantages because of your parents' wealth. Not just money. To say: "My parents are rich, I'm not" implies that you do not now and never will have access to those priveledges. You clearly have those priveledges. It's not really about whether there is only rich or poor. It's the same for all degrees of financial status. To have large amounts of available liquid assets withheld from you while you learn to strike out on your own is not the same as having none of those assets in the first place.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #684 on: September 01, 2011, 10:52:35 AM »
In the current context of the fact he can't blow a bajillion dollars on video games it's the same dif.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #685 on: September 01, 2011, 10:55:20 AM »
In the current context of the fact he can't blow a bajillion dollars on video games it's the same dif.

No it isn't.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #686 on: September 01, 2011, 10:57:28 AM »
I'm sad I dont have a ps3 for WE dead island now :(

Deus ex is cool. The long loading times are a bit frustrating though, seeing as I die/get detected a lot.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #687 on: September 01, 2011, 11:29:56 AM »
No it isn't.

My gumption for this stuff just isn't there anymore, so I'll leave it be.  I'm sorry that you had to walk 15 miles both ways with no feet to school, in the snow with a pack of wolves trying to hump your leg, though. :-P

not together.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #688 on: September 01, 2011, 12:05:45 PM »
Luxury!
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #689 on: September 01, 2011, 01:08:16 PM »
No it isn't.

My gumption for this stuff just isn't there anymore, so I'll leave it be.  I'm sorry that you had to walk 15 miles both ways with no feet to school, in the snow with a pack of wolves trying to hump your leg, though. :-P

:icon_rolleyes:

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #690 on: September 01, 2011, 01:16:59 PM »
tropico 3 has a bit of a learning curve but its not bad.  pretty fun.
Thats what I remember about the first one, pretty hard.

Pass the machete.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #691 on: September 01, 2011, 01:37:28 PM »

Again, no gumption.  But just so you know, I was kidding.

not together.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #692 on: September 01, 2011, 01:37:49 PM »

What I'm trying to say is that your parents are going to provide for you to the best of their ability. In your cases, part of that includes withholding luxuries to help you learn to appreciate those luxuries and their value. In my case it was sometimes them going without food so I wouldn't have to, not buying shoes until the soles fell off, and things of that nature. It's not about your individual situation, it's the fact that you were and are privy to many more social and fiscal advantages because of your parents' wealth. Not just money. To say: "My parents are rich, I'm not" implies that you do not now and never will have access to those priveledges. You clearly have those priveledges. It's not really about whether there is only rich or poor. It's the same for all degrees of financial status. To have large amounts of available liquid assets withheld from you while you learn to strike out on your own is not the same as having none of those assets in the first place.
Okay, cool. I now see your point (which is true), but I still disagree on you applying it to what t said. But I'll agree to.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #693 on: September 01, 2011, 01:43:21 PM »

What I'm trying to say is that your parents are going to provide for you to the best of their ability. In your cases, part of that includes withholding luxuries to help you learn to appreciate those luxuries and their value. In my case it was sometimes them going without food so I wouldn't have to, not buying shoes until the soles fell off, and things of that nature. It's not about your individual situation, it's the fact that you were and are privy to many more social and fiscal advantages because of your parents' wealth. Not just money. To say: "My parents are rich, I'm not" implies that you do not now and never will have access to those privileges. You clearly have those privileges. It's not really about whether there is only rich or poor. It's the same for all degrees of financial status. To have large amounts of available liquid assets withheld from you while you learn to strike out on your own is not the same as having none of those assets in the first place.
Okay, cool. I now see your point (which is true), but I still disagree on you applying it to what t said. But I'll agree to.

I'm not necessarily applying it to video games specifically, just the phrase T used.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #694 on: September 01, 2011, 01:43:55 PM »

Again, no gumption.  But just so you know, I was kidding.

I know.  :::cheers:::

Sadly enough, I did have to walk to school, but it was only 3 miles, and only uphill on the way home.

Offline jlutin

• Members
  • In Development Now
« Reply #695 on: September 01, 2011, 02:15:06 PM »
My goal is to be well off enough that my kids and grandkids don't have to claim to be raised by poor parents.  That being said, the kids won't have access to much other than a decent used car that is not a sports car, mostly free education in college and a place to land if they need help.

You may not be able to do much about how you are raised, but you can do a lot to take care of the kids you are raising.
Obama has spent more time playing golf than meeting with Republicans, his Deficit Commission, his Job Council and his Cabinet COMBINED.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #696 on: September 01, 2011, 02:19:43 PM »
My goal is to be well off enough that my kids and grandkids don't have to claim to be raised by poor parents.  That being said, the kids won't have access to much other than a decent used car that is not a sports car, mostly free education in college and a place to land if they need help.

A good attitude, if I may say so.

Spoiled rich brats with a smug sense of entitlement are annoying and useless.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #697 on: September 01, 2011, 02:21:52 PM »
Spoiled rich brats with a smug sense of entitlement are annoying and useless.

Incorrect. They always need bodies & blood for CSI.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #698 on: September 01, 2011, 02:50:15 PM »
My parents are pretty well off, or at least they were until my dad had to retire due to ill health.

I would consider myself pretty poor though- and I often stress that I wont be able to help my kids as much as my parents helped me in the past.
Still, I'm only just starting out in the working world.

Pass the machete.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #699 on: September 01, 2011, 02:53:07 PM »
I would consider myself pretty poor though- and I often stress that I wont be able to help my kids as much as my parents helped me in the past.

Same. Oh wait, I will never have kids.

It is a good cause for concern I guess.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.