home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 812388 times)

Offline towishimp

• Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #2700 on: October 11, 2012, 08:29:24 PM »
I know I'm like super late to the party, but Halo is a pretty good game.  I just borrowed it from the girl I've got a date set up with, and I'm liking it so far.
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2701 on: October 11, 2012, 08:30:20 PM »
halo one?

I think its like 12 year olds.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #2702 on: October 11, 2012, 08:31:04 PM »
You think Halo is like 12 year old children?  :engel:
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #2703 on: October 11, 2012, 10:24:36 PM »
It is 11 years old next month.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #2704 on: October 12, 2012, 12:29:29 AM »
halo one?

I think its like 12 year olds.

Yep, Halo 1 lol.  I got into FPS late (well, started with Wolfenstein 3D, but then feel off at Doom, then didn't get back on until CoD MW2).  But the girl is a Halo fanatic, so I gave it a shot.  It's pretty good.
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #2705 on: October 12, 2012, 12:33:10 AM »
She sounds like a catch.

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #2706 on: October 12, 2012, 12:38:24 AM »
She sounds like a catch.

Uh, yeah.  Her interestes include: hunting, gaming, and zombies.  And she's beautiful.  I've struck gold.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #2707 on: October 12, 2012, 12:41:36 AM »
She sounds like a catch.

Uh, yeah.  Her interestes include: hunting, gaming, and zombies.  And she's beautiful.  I've struck gold.

Awwwwwwww yeaaaahhhhhhhhhh

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2708 on: October 12, 2012, 12:45:53 AM »
how you can not have played halo is absolutely insane to me.

Xcom is very fun, even though I lost an hour and a bit of play having not saved when it crashed.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 01:45:47 AM by Finlay »

Pass the machete.

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #2709 on: October 12, 2012, 02:05:29 AM »

That was pretty much her reaction.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #2710 on: October 12, 2012, 07:43:40 AM »
The thing that seems to get my rookies killed is I use them more as scouts to draw out the aliens and it seems like the aliens get a reaction move/shoot when they spot me then get their full turn my my turn is done (where as my guys can't hide of they spot an alien during the alien turn).

This is correct. I've read in a review that the aliens are basically stationary (so they don't all of a sudden show up and start blasting your team after having wandered into the screen) until one of your guys spots them. To 'balance' this the aliens get an immediate reaction after being spotted.

Personally I think this is a wonky mechanic. In the original game aliens were busy going about their business (especially in terror missions where their mission was to go and kill the civilians). So it could pay of to have somebody stay in overwatch to blast a wandering alien. With the new one you don't need to put anyone on overwatch if you haven't spotted an alien, they're rooted to the spot.
Granted, in the original game the enemy turn could take quite long, at least on my Amiga2000 (and lots of it spend on just moving aliens to and fro the same bit of room for instance), but it added suspense, and a true Ugo Igo with added overwatch. Still I'd take longer enemy turns for some alien movement, even when it's only patrolling a little sector.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2711 on: October 12, 2012, 09:49:31 AM »
batworm, was that the IGN review? He was playing on normal where the AI doesn’t patrol and does just sit there. My FIRST mission on classic, I just spot the pod of three sectoids, set up to shoot them, and three more patrol into me on my right flank. (Also it is worth doing overwatch on your turn, and then moving someone forward to “set off” the little group of aliens. Their free move to cover then triggers your dudes overwatch. )

Furthermore, terror missions definitely has aliens killing civilians which you can’t see- on classic difficulty.

This is the main reason I’m going to at least try on classic before dropping down if I don’t need to, non patrolling aliens does sound wack,

Pass the machete.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #2712 on: October 12, 2012, 09:55:52 AM »
HA!

Well it sounds like you have options ..options always are good as long as I can choose what I am up to I can go from toddlers level to ironman as far as I understand the game so far....and ironman sounds nice, no saves except when you leave the game and other stuff that should make for an incredible nail biting experience.

Finlay care to share a bit more about how much fun the game is?

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #2713 on: October 12, 2012, 10:19:27 AM »
@Finlay: Hey that's really nice to know! It could have been in the IGN review, I've read several so IIRC and all. But it was the same as I saw on all those pre-release play videos. No alien pop-up, aliens only started to move after being discovered etc. Guess those were all on Normal or easier as well eh?

That game mechanic was actually the main thing that kept me from really liking the game so I'm really glad it changes on higher difficulty (which is rather unexpected, I can't really name any other game where an actual game play mechanic changes so drastically between difficulty levels). Argh, so many great games, so little time to play them!!

(Still busy with my Deus Ex: Human Revolution second playthrough, going through the Picus building atm so I'm about halfway I'd say. Nearly got all the augments I want though so I can start cutting corners and simply go for main objectives instead of side-missions and exploration, that should speed things up)
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #2714 on: October 12, 2012, 10:55:28 AM »

I don't recall ever having played it.  If it's not on a PS I probably haven't played it.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

• Members
« Reply #2715 on: October 12, 2012, 11:00:31 AM »
I also have never played any of the HALO franchise....even though I know someone personally who translated parts of the German Manual.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2716 on: October 12, 2012, 11:08:20 AM »
I do think it’s a valid concern, and you definitely still get the “aliens standing around” but it’s lessened on classic compared to normal. On normal you can only fight 6 aliens at once as well, if you uncover more they run away. It’s not gameplay mechanics, it’s more a shackled AI to make it easier.

As I said I lost over an hour of play to a crash, which is why at the moment I wouldn’t do ironman mode, but just make myself play as ironman with save backups. On my new playthrough I’ve done 3 missions and lost 3 people so far. One was my assault squaddie, who move up to a building and shotgunned a sectoid, but in doing so uncovered a sectoid pod and was flanked twice, dead. The other two were rookies, on a UFO downed mission- the outsiders have plasma rifles and better aim than sectoids, shot both my women rookies (I’m trying to get a woman support squaddy to name after my wife). I got a swedish guy called Thor Berg, who started with massive health. Not going to rename him.

It is very very fun so far. Looking forward to delving in more over the weekend and unlocking more squad abilities and research.

biggest gripe apart from the crash is the sometimes weird animation you get where you can see someone, but the animation shows you shooting at them through a wall or whatever. Immersion breaking, but no gameplay effect.

Pass the machete.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #2717 on: October 12, 2012, 11:20:25 AM »
I also have never played any of the HALO franchise....even though I know someone personally who translated parts of the German Manual.

Does this person happen to live with you?
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

• Members
« Reply #2718 on: October 12, 2012, 11:23:12 AM »
I am not allowed to talk about the Fight Club.

Offline thundercake

• Members
« Reply #2719 on: October 12, 2012, 02:19:56 PM »
yea, one of the most effective tactics is to set up a sniper or two and/or a couple of other people on overwatch and then dash a rookie into full cover in the direction that the alien sounds come from. usually, the rookie lives and a couple of aliens get shot up. Then if you are lucky the remaining alien or two will retreat allowing you to rinse and repeat. I hate the inside of their downed ufos, makes my snipers almost worthless.

in my next play through I will probably play on classic or ironman or whatever. Never having played the original (i know I know, but i grew up with Macs. at least i got to play myth, which was an AWESOME GAME, and its multiplayer was awesome) I was unsure of how hard it would be and wanted to get a feel for the game. now it is pretty manageable at the current level.
Don't underestimate a halfling, their ladle will do a number on your stomach, and on your head.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2720 on: October 12, 2012, 02:34:44 PM »
this german dude is CRUSHING impossible ironman. Awesome to watch.

Pass the machete.

• Members
« Reply #2721 on: October 12, 2012, 02:36:15 PM »
So he started over again?

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2722 on: October 12, 2012, 02:44:48 PM »
I think starting over is inevitable… but now he is in june, only lost 3 countries, got good satellite coverage, got about 10 highly ranked soldiers, laser weapons all round, about to get plasma weapons.

I still think one squad wipe means game over.

fighting cyberdisks, mutons and chrysallids

Pass the machete.

• Members
« Reply #2723 on: October 12, 2012, 03:05:11 PM »
I think you should at some point mix in one or two rookies...but well he must know what he does

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2724 on: October 12, 2012, 03:18:46 PM »
people get mixed in when the others get hurt. He has a lot of high ranked soldiers. He is doing best by far I’ve seen on impossible ironman. Just did a terror mission. Killed 31 aliens!

Pass the machete.