home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 812406 times)

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #3675 on: February 08, 2013, 09:07:03 PM »
Are Red Dead and GTA RPGs? I don't think so, to be honest. Action games really - no real choices to be had, no character advancement outside getting more weapons, not sure they are part of it. Open World doesn't equal RPG.

I wouldn't say there are many choices to be had in most JRPG's. They're fairly linear. In Red Dead, at least for me, it's such an immersive experience that you become the main character. You are playing the role of this criminal turned cattle rancher turned bounty hunter. There may not be a lot of choices, and the story is fairly linear but I would argue it is just as much an RPG as any Final Fantasy game.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #3676 on: February 08, 2013, 09:13:35 PM »
Hey, I found a way to make a screenshot of FTL! I need to run it in windowed mode, then it'll work. Strange. Anyway, here goes:

The Total Bastard is still unbeaten. Although I took the boss down just now with the Fire Ant, taking no damage whatsoever in the first two forms. That was awesome.

You've got much higher scores than me. I wonder why that is? Probably because you've played a lot more games than I have.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:16:55 PM by Cannonofdoom »

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3677 on: February 08, 2013, 10:53:24 PM »
a twisted version of FTL

Super Amazing Wagon Adventure
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Johann Q Peasant

• Members
  • Cheese Burgher
« Reply #3678 on: February 09, 2013, 09:50:34 PM »
I've dropped out of gaming, but my favorites were Mount and Blade (including warband and all its mods) and Medieval Total War. Had alot of memories with Sid Meir's Pirates.

But I got to the point where I stopped seeing the appeal in them.  Until 2 days ago, where I was visiting a friend. He had to go to work, and let me use the computer...  where I decided to play Fallout 3.

:icon_eek:WOW. Its been a long time since a game enveloped me so well in the immersion.
Putting the "Off" in Off-topic.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #3679 on: February 09, 2013, 09:55:11 PM »
So I beat the flagship a couple more times. Honestly right now I am trying to unlock all of the ships more than anything. Once that's done I will try to beat the game on normal.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3680 on: February 09, 2013, 10:57:20 PM »
I've dropped out of gaming, but my favorites were Mount and Blade (including warband and all its mods) and Medieval Total War. Had alot of memories with Sid Meir's Pirates.

But I got to the point where I stopped seeing the appeal in them.  Until 2 days ago, where I was visiting a friend. He had to go to work, and let me use the computer...  where I decided to play Fallout 3.

:icon_eek:WOW. Its been a long time since a game enveloped me so well in the immersion.

FO3 is okay, but FO:NV, THATS an awesome game.  :biggriin:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #3681 on: February 09, 2013, 11:30:39 PM »
GTA and RDR are definitely not rpg games
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #3682 on: February 10, 2013, 12:09:12 AM »
So I beat the flagship a couple more times. Honestly right now I am trying to unlock all of the ships more than anything. Once that's done I will try to beat the game on normal.

Me too. And I just got a nice reminder why a weapon loadout of Burst Laser II, Halberd Beam and Breaching Missiles sucks in the fight against the final boss. If I can't get the missile past the defense drone I simply won't get any significant damage in. Drat.

Well, lesson learned.

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #3683 on: February 10, 2013, 12:17:01 AM »

Really?  See, I'd say Far Cry 3 is definitely an RPG, and I don't see much to separate RDR and FC3.  I've never played GTA, but I understand it to be a lot like RDR.
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #3684 on: February 10, 2013, 12:18:35 AM »

Me too. And I just got a nice reminder why a weapon loadout of Burst Laser II, Halberd Beam and Breaching Missiles sucks in the fight against the final boss. If I can't get the missile past the defense drone I simply won't get any significant damage in. Drat.

Well, lesson learned.

Yeah, bombs are really way better than missiles.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #3685 on: February 10, 2013, 12:29:36 AM »
Yeah, bombs are really way better than missiles.

Yes. Ion Bombs are fantastic!

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3686 on: February 10, 2013, 01:33:20 AM »

Really?  See, I'd say Far Cry 3 is definitely an RPG, and I don't see much to separate RDR and FC3.  I've never played GTA, but I understand it to be a lot like RDR.

Never played RDR but FC3 actually has a leveling system with abilities and such like an RPG.  RDR and GTA do not.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #3687 on: February 10, 2013, 02:04:28 AM »

Never played RDR but FC3 actually has a leveling system with abilities and such like an RPG.  RDR and GTA do not.

A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making or character development

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
    • http://www.facebook.com/WinHereWinThereWinWinEverywhere
« Reply #3688 on: February 10, 2013, 02:27:44 AM »
That definition could be used to describe every game every though.

Hell, you could even say you take on the role of Pac-Man and act out his roles.

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #3689 on: February 10, 2013, 03:32:23 AM »
That definition could be used to describe every game every though.

Hell, you could even say you take on the role of Pac-Man and act out his roles.

Not really, read the definition: "within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making or character development."

I don't think Pacman has narrative, decision-making, or character development.  RDR has all three.
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3690 on: February 10, 2013, 03:38:21 AM »
in other new,

When this gets released, I am totally getting this mod for Sins of a Solar Empire:Rebellion!

Dawn of the Reapers

I hope the decide to add quarians.
― Jake the Dog

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #3691 on: February 10, 2013, 08:45:44 PM »
I beat the Borderlands expansion 'Claptrap's Robot Revolution' yesterday. I liked the wacky setting but found the missions rather straightforward and easy. There's still a couple of Trophies to get but they all involve gathering enough special items that only seem to drop rarely from renegade claptraps. So that would mean me needing to try and farm those items, not the most attractive prospect, but it might be preferable to the Moxxi expansion. I started that one but needing to play for ages through successive combat rounds was a chore.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #3692 on: February 10, 2013, 11:08:11 PM »

A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making or character development

that definition is pretty ridiculous really. Practically 100% of modern games fit that description.

pacman narrative "hero attempts to find the hidden power to turn back the evil undead powers"

Why is RDR an rpg and halo 4 isnt?

Pass the machete.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #3693 on: February 10, 2013, 11:24:46 PM »
No decision making or character advancement to speak of = not an rpg. Though games increasingly try to blur the line.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #3694 on: February 10, 2013, 11:49:08 PM »
No decision making or character advancement to speak of = not an rpg. Though games increasingly try to blur the line.

Exactly. Red Dead also has skill advancement, but it's such a low key part of the game that it's not going to stick in your memory like Final Fantasy's complicated grids or Skyrim's constellations. Additionally there are equipment and item choices ;)

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #3695 on: February 11, 2013, 12:16:16 AM »
I beat the Borderlands expansion 'Claptrap's Robot Revolution' yesterday. I liked the wacky setting but found the missions rather straightforward and easy. There's still a couple of Trophies to get but they all involve gathering enough special items that only seem to drop rarely from renegade claptraps. So that would mean me needing to try and farm those items, not the most attractive prospect, but it might be preferable to the Moxxi expansion. I started that one but needing to play for ages through successive combat rounds was a chore.

I like the Secret Armory and the zombie expansions best.

Moxxi was difficult.  It works best if you have coop friends.  I couldn't get very far into it either!
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #3696 on: February 11, 2013, 12:54:34 AM »

I think this is it.  There's a continuum, from hard RPGs to RDR/GTA to shooters with stories.  I mean, the Halo guys have stated that they'll never show John's face, because that would hurt the ability of people to see themselves as John Spartan on some level.  Isn't that role-playing, at its most basic?  Pretending to be someone else?

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #3697 on: February 11, 2013, 09:25:58 AM »
I can't kill dragon-Flemeth in Dragon Age!   ::heretic::

Isn't that role-playing, at its most basic?  Pretending to be someone else?

Maybe, but it's not what people mean when they say 'roleplaying game.'

If the term is used that broadly, it's meaningless!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #3698 on: February 11, 2013, 09:36:55 AM »
Exactly.

Madden has decision making and character development, its still not an RPG.

Just because rdr has one or two RPG elements, doesn't make it an RPG.

Every game has equipment and item choices

Pass the machete.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #3699 on: February 11, 2013, 09:51:10 AM »
I can't kill dragon-Flemeth in Dragon Age!   ::heretic::

Equip all your characters with ranged weapons and fire resist. Spread them out. One melee character only. Tanky guy is best.

Be sure to bring the healer. Constantly heal the tanky guy. Micromanage the healer, while allowing everyone else to auto attack, switching every so often to use the sunder armor skill with the archery peeps.