home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 812300 times)

Offline Sig

• Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #4275 on: March 17, 2013, 06:11:08 PM »
Stranger in a strange land though. The pro scene there is like what, 10 years old? Older? I'd think it'd take someone 1-2 years at least, in a team house where there was shared culture and language to boot.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #4276 on: March 17, 2013, 06:21:43 PM »
Finally got around to completing the XCOM campaign. Thought it was odd that I won the final battle by shooting the middle ethereal in the face, while leaving the other two ethereals and quadrangle of heavy mutons untouched. Final, most challenging encounter, solved in one round by a sniper's double tap.
you guys must of had a derpy uber ethereal.  For me he was smart enough to stay out of range and I was forced to clear the room.  Luckily no casualties.  A couple of mind controlled squadmates but we just focus fired the controlling lesser ethereal.  Plus having that singularity ability on the psychic dude came in handing for the opening of the fight. That and two support guys with upgraded med packs.

story wise it was a cheesy end but I think it fit the story haha.

I am getting more and more excited for bioshock infinite, and farfromsuble is closing in on the end of BS1 (which tells me has nothing to do with infinite).  Something tells me players are going to get real attached to Elizabeth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs41eOXhwPA
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #4277 on: March 17, 2013, 06:22:46 PM »
Stranger in a strange land though. The pro scene there is like what, 10 years old? Older? I'd think it'd take someone 1-2 years at least, in a team house where there was shared culture and language to boot.

Older actually. About 15 years, it really took off with the release of Brood War.

And since the KeSPA teams (Korean eSports Association) has finally transitioned to SCII from Brood War it has become even more lopsided for foreigners: they are the ones that really have an incredibly tight regime for their players, with specific coaches handling strategy and training schedules and insanely organized practice and day-to-day life.

According to Artosis (an ex-pro and long-standing pundit and commentator) only one Westerner has ever put up with that rigorous pressure for any amount of time, and that was Idra. All others have bugged out pretty soon because they found it too demanding.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #4278 on: March 17, 2013, 06:33:27 PM »
Finally got around to completing the XCOM campaign. Thought it was odd that I won the final battle by shooting the middle ethereal in the face, while leaving the other two ethereals and quadrangle of heavy mutons untouched. Final, most challenging encounter, solved in one round by a sniper's double tap.
you guys must of had a derpy uber ethereal.  For me he was smart enough to stay out of range and I was forced to clear the room.  Luckily no casualties.  A couple of mind controlled squadmates but we just focus fired the controlling lesser ethereal.  Plus having that singularity ability on the psychic dude came in handing for the opening of the fight. That and two support guys with upgraded med packs.

story wise it was a cheesy end but I think it fit the story haha.

I am getting more and more excited for bioshock infinite, and farfromsuble is closing in on the end of BS1 (which tells me has nothing to do with infinite).  Something tells me players are going to get real attached to Elizabeth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs41eOXhwPA

Well he was in range of only my uber sniper who had an aim of about 110 without a s.c.o.p.e. (randomized stats and hidden potential turned on. Also rudiculous? Fully upgraded assault troop with rapid fire, ghost armor, and alloy cannon. Run and gun plus rapid fire.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #4279 on: March 17, 2013, 06:44:21 PM »
assault troops were by far my favorite.  I typically ran an fast moving force, giving my snipers the ability to move and fire instead of squad sight.  Not always but usually.  And for this final mission I figured a move and shoot sniper would be best.  Not sure what their aim was, my snipers always seemed to attract the most fire so they were never colonels.

Jumped into SC2 WoL and I really like the changes they have done.  The AI speaks when they are going to do something if you are team with them.  Also I like that they show you how many workers are mining the associated minerals to the command station and gas.  Makes for easier saturation management.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #4280 on: March 17, 2013, 06:50:36 PM »

Older actually. About 15 years, it really took off with the release of Brood War.

And since the KeSPA teams (Korean eSports Association) has finally transitioned to SCII from Brood War it has become even more lopsided for foreigners: they are the ones that really have an incredibly tight regime for their players, with specific coaches handling strategy and training schedules and insanely organized practice and day-to-day life.

According to Artosis (an ex-pro and long-standing pundit and commentator) only one Westerner has ever put up with that rigorous pressure for any amount of time, and that was Idra. All others have bugged out pretty soon because they found it too demanding.

Exactly. They work harder, they get better results. Partially it would have to do with the school system which is similar in demands to China's. The government is now cracking down on coaching colleges so students can get to bed before midnight. That system demands incredible discipline and is extremely harsh. Not how I'd like to live but it gets results.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #4281 on: March 17, 2013, 07:17:40 PM »
Yeah, no thanks.  I want my games to remain just that.

I started a new career with Bradford City in FIFA 12, but I'm thinking about getting FIFA 13.  The way you make purchases seems better, and the request for additional funds looks awesome.  Also like the international addition.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #4282 on: March 17, 2013, 07:19:57 PM »

These guys are cyber athletes!
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #4283 on: March 17, 2013, 07:21:25 PM »

In other words: hopeless virgins  :engel:
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #4284 on: March 17, 2013, 07:26:51 PM »

Yeah, some of the "pro" players I follow on Youtube do nothing but play CoD.  Optic Nadeshot streams for 8-12 hours at a time, and has complained because if he gets up to go to the bathroom or make food people start to stop watching, and his potential revenue drops.
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4285 on: March 17, 2013, 07:30:57 PM »
I'm now 'official lord emperor king of the universe'.

Its true, because as long as you say something is something, it is something.

Feanor, ghost armour, plus squad sight sniper = don't have to clear room.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #4286 on: March 17, 2013, 07:50:19 PM »

Well, off the top of my head: inControl married Miss Oregon a couple of months ago.
 :-D

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #4287 on: March 17, 2013, 07:52:32 PM »
Miss Oregon must be from some random east european country.

American pie is telling us the truth

Finlay I am the official lord Emperor king of the universe too...we should create a club

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #4288 on: March 17, 2013, 08:00:27 PM »
American pie is telling us the truth

Have your world view shattered, innocent one!
 :biggriin:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/04/28/team-evil-geniuses-manager-anna-prosser-believes-more-female-gamers-will-turn-pro/

Finlay I am the official lord Emperor king of the universe too...we should create a club

I have been Emperor of a Galaxy many times. Not the universe though.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #4289 on: March 17, 2013, 08:14:33 PM »
Beginner....lets say yes...to hot nerdy pro chicks.....

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #4290 on: March 17, 2013, 08:44:42 PM »

Well, off the top of my head: inControl married Miss Oregon a couple of months ago.
 :-D
Something ain't right with that lady....
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #4291 on: March 18, 2013, 01:22:25 AM »
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #4292 on: March 18, 2013, 04:16:16 AM »
DMC any good? I havnt played any of the others but have seen farfromsubtle play a small bit of it and it looks interesting to say the least.
― Jake the Dog

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #4293 on: March 18, 2013, 02:21:46 PM »
It's fun if you like hacking and slashing, but it's too japanese for my tastes.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #4294 on: March 18, 2013, 02:53:04 PM »
It's fun if you like hacking and slashing, but it's too japanese for my tastes.
it looks like a male dont-give-a-fuck buffy the vampire slayer takes on foxnews and bill o'reily.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4295 on: March 18, 2013, 09:05:22 PM »

Ea CEO resigns
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #4296 on: March 18, 2013, 09:23:02 PM »
would Warhammer 40k space marine count has a hack and slash?

I dont normally play hack and slashes, but I think Space marine was the last one I played.  And before that it would have been God of War.  the first one. iremeber it cause the tips of my thumbs to go numb for a long time haha.  the space marine hack and slash wasnt so bad.

Patsy DMC worth $50?
― Jake the Dog

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #4297 on: March 18, 2013, 09:27:24 PM »
would Warhammer 40k space marine count has a hack and slash?
Yeah.

Patsy DMC worth $50?
The latest one? I haven't tried it, but probably not.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #4298 on: March 18, 2013, 09:31:13 PM »
Paycheck to paycheck no game is worth 50 bucks mate. Should be able to pick up second hand copies off ebay or something pretty cheap.

Space Marine sucked arse. The first 20 minutes or so were fun, but then they turned into 6 hours and got old fast.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #4299 on: March 18, 2013, 09:35:41 PM »
Sig I think you described most hack and slash games.  I'll just wait for it to go on sale on steam.  Or just watch videos online.

also would arkham city count as a hack and slash? I know its all fists but its basically the same gameplay.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 09:43:45 PM by Feanor Fire Heart »
― Jake the Dog