home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 812228 times)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #4425 on: March 26, 2013, 11:49:24 PM »
aww man, the 2 weapon limit is true. I thought I read in a review that wasnt the case.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4426 on: March 27, 2013, 12:36:45 AM »
I finally finished dragon age! Hurrah.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #4427 on: March 27, 2013, 12:39:45 AM »
"no price drop" for a couple of years is pure wrong. I got skyrim for half price a month after it was released. I got dishonored for £9.99 a few months after it was released.

I reckon it will see a price drop next steam sale.

I concur.  Amazon has taken to doing Steam-style sales, too...I got Far Cry 3 and Dishonored for $30 via some sort of deal emails I get from Amazon. 

I'm jealous of those already playing Bioshock...I love the convenience of getting my games shipped to me for free, but man do those first two days after release suck!

edit: I meant Bioshock: Infinate...I've already played (and loved) Dishonored.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 06:36:43 PM by towishimp »
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #4428 on: March 27, 2013, 03:13:20 AM »
Dishonored is excellent. Probably my GOTY last year.

Bioshock is already my GOTY this year. So, so so so so good.

Finlay- I was annoyed at first, but they sprinkle enough weapon variety around that it's never a problem to switch if you need/want too. I've been rocking the hand cannon and one of the sniper/carbine/repeater/machine-gun/RPG/whatever-you-call-the-grenade-launcher-thing depending on the situation. I just love the image of Booker one shotting everything (but Handymen/Patriots etc). Also am I alone in finding Handymen much easier than Big Daddies? They just seem to die quicker/ I don't die as much taking them on.

I do like that they are rarer. By the end of Bioshock I was very well fed up with Big Daddies but I've only seen 3-4 Handymen so far.

How far are you? I'm coming up on Comstock House.

Also what's your Steam name?
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #4429 on: March 27, 2013, 04:31:53 AM »
He's finlayhjones on the Steam.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #4430 on: March 27, 2013, 01:18:05 PM »
Dishonored was awesome.  The final boss battle was kind of lame, though.

Got FIFA 13.  Surprised at how much better it feels to 12.  The gameplay feels more fluid and there seems to be more variety in gameplay.  Definitely love the 'interaction' with the media and players more.  Haven't stepped in to the player mode or anything with the international level.  Started off with Blackburn and their updated roster.  What a mess they are in the game (and in real life, but I digress)!
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4431 on: March 27, 2013, 01:24:55 PM »
Finlay- I was annoyed at first, but they sprinkle enough weapon variety around that it's never a problem to switch if you need/want too. I've been rocking the hand cannon and one of the sniper/carbine/repeater/machine-gun/RPG/whatever-you-call-the-grenade-launcher-thing depending on the situation. I just love the image of Booker one shotting everything (but Handymen/Patriots etc). Also am I alone in finding Handymen much easier than Big Daddies? They just seem to die quicker/ I don't die as much taking them on.

I do like that they are rarer. By the end of Bioshock I was very well fed up with Big Daddies but I've only seen 3-4 Handymen so far.

How far are you? I'm coming up on Comstock House.

Also what's your Steam name?
I understand why they did it- forcing you to swap and adapt all the time. But it still bugs me a bit. I keep on running out of ammo!
I'm playing on hard (trying to prolongue the game) and it's quite hard.

I havent met a handyman yet. Just going to get the electricity vigor.

finlayhjones

Got FIFA 13.  Surprised at how much better it feels to 12.  The gameplay feels more fluid and there seems to be more variety in gameplay.  Definitely love the 'interaction' with the media and players more.  Haven't stepped in to the player mode or anything with the international level.  Started off with Blackburn and their updated roster.  What a mess they are in the game (and in real life, but I digress)!
It's well annoying when your players force a move from the club.
and also, lack of player manager :(

Pass the machete.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4432 on: March 27, 2013, 01:41:45 PM »
It's well annoying when your players force a move from the club.
and also, lack of player manager :(

Annoying, but I still like it as it gives another somewhat realistic dimension to the game.  The player manager thing stinks.  I never really messed with it too much but it's still nice to have that option.  Something I wish they would add was reserve team and youth games.  I think it would help some of the morale problems for your players, especially young ones.

not together.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4433 on: March 27, 2013, 01:57:54 PM »
It's realistic, but bad realistic- for me anyway.

I made myself a cdm for bolton, 19 and 67 overall or something.

by the time I'd won the prem a couple of times, the europa cup once and the champions league once, He was like the 3rd or 4th best player in the game. He moved to real madrid and was like "I want to win more trophies". but I win everything! :(

I think they do have reserve and youth games simulated in, because young players get better even when they don't play.
But yeh, morale is a real problem with a big squad.

Pass the machete.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4434 on: March 27, 2013, 02:10:47 PM »
It would be nice to simulate the games though to see who is in form, or even take control to get a feel for those players.

Your player thing is a bit of an oversight by the developers, if that's his reason. 

not together.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #4435 on: March 27, 2013, 03:38:39 PM »
I've played a bit of FIFA on the PS3 over the last couple of weeks and it's a much improved game from the ones I remember.

But it is still clunky in terms of player control and fluidity compared to ProEvo on the Wii. Now it looks tonnes better and I like having all the names... but gameplay wise, it still isn't up there...
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4436 on: March 27, 2013, 03:44:44 PM »
You're the first person who I've heard say that ProEvo is still any good.

not together.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4437 on: March 27, 2013, 03:50:56 PM »
pro evo on the wii is amazing.

Pass the machete.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #4438 on: March 27, 2013, 04:12:52 PM »
You're the first person who I've heard say that ProEvo is still any good.

Maybe they are looking for a different kind of experience than me?

The control you have over your players in proevo is so high. You can map out an attacker's run as you run up the wing so that he dodges defenders. All sorts of stuff. Fifa seems more like good fun that you can pick up and play pretty quick where proevo requires a bit of time to really get good at.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4439 on: March 27, 2013, 04:16:25 PM »
When I played it with you and Wolfy I didn't know what I was doing so I see that.  I think FIFA needs to step it up in some areas, but like I said, it's better gameplay this year from last which actually impressed me. 

To be honest, my perfect game would probably be the combination of Football Manager and FIFA.  I've never played ProEvo enough to really get any good critique or feel, but if the fluidity is more in that regard then combine that in too for the bestest of the best.

not together.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #4440 on: March 27, 2013, 04:55:59 PM »
Agreed. I think proevo is wonderfully smooth and ingame tactically superior... But the manager mode is rubbish, the license is woefully lacking, as is the exclusion of lower league teams and you have a hard time introducing it to new players as the wiimote style takes some serious getting to grips with.

I was beating the guy who brought fifa over after about 2 games, though he doesn't play it regularly. But it did seem like a much more pick up and play and have fun right off the bat kinda setup.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4441 on: March 27, 2013, 05:01:09 PM »
They used to have two gameplay settings in FIFA: simulation and arcade.  Arcade was extremely stripped down.  There's some complexities with FIFA now.  I think skill moves are difficult to pull off, but maybe it's because I suck.  If something like that could be reincorporated?

I don't know how ProEvo is for other platforms but I wonder if the free form is as good on those as well, or does the Wii allow that much more flexibility because of its characteristics?

Also, I've never played Football Manager.  Partly because it's PC only and partly because I know it would consume my soul...

not together.

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #4442 on: March 27, 2013, 06:43:48 PM »
Also, I've never played Football Manager.  Partly because it's PC only and partly because I know it would consume my soul...

I don't much care for soccer, but my brother once gave me his year-old copy of Football Manager after he bought the newest one.  It did consume my soul. 

On a related note, does anyone know of any (American) football games that give you an experience similar to Football Manager, only with American football?  Madden franchise mode keeps slowly improving, but I don't think it will ever be as deep as I want it to be.  I loved Head Coach despite it's clunkiness, and was sad when it was a one-off and not a continuing series.
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4443 on: March 27, 2013, 08:44:31 PM »
Only thing I knew of was Head Coach.

not together.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #4444 on: March 28, 2013, 06:33:21 PM »
for those BS:I players
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #4445 on: March 28, 2013, 07:10:05 PM »
Fantastic  :eusa_clap:

First Handyman and still on hard.... I think you have enough ammunition when you go through different weapons you just shouldn´t stick to the same two all the time...also I plunder ALL machines for money with the possession skill.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #4446 on: March 28, 2013, 10:15:32 PM »
it should be no surprise that I am a huge mass effect fan, though I have only played the games.  I was leery on getting the movie because its anime and I am not a real big fan of anime (there's a handful I find interesting). Then.  I saw this review by gamerMD83 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31BDZTiY_DM who is a bigger ME nut than I (she has seen the movie, read all the books/comics/graphic novels, has interviewed many of the cast and crew of the games, etc) and it convinced me to check it out.  It just came in the mail today.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
― Jake the Dog

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #4448 on: March 30, 2013, 10:50:13 PM »
Still loving Bioshock:Infi, but man Hard is hard!  I almost ragequit last night.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4449 on: March 30, 2013, 11:07:24 PM »
where are you up to on hard? It's easier when you get elizabeth, and you need to use vigors a lot.

Pass the machete.