home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 812230 times)

Offline towishimp

• Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #4850 on: May 20, 2013, 08:19:17 PM »
However, he said, "many players didn't respond to the format".
Fuck this cunt and his doublespeak.

Seriously.  "EA's claims that the system was supposed to serve players"...what?  How does this serve players in any way, shape, or form?  I would hate companies less if they would just be honest about trying to make as much money as possible.  This kind of lame pretending that do something for purposes other than moneymaking is what makes me mad.
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #4851 on: May 21, 2013, 12:55:26 AM »
Fuck this cunt...

I understand the statement but isn't that as useful as saying as 'piss this urine'?.........

:::cheers:::

I just preordered Rome Total War II on Steam... because of those Greek City States...
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline oak_prince

• Members
« Reply #4852 on: May 21, 2013, 01:08:59 AM »
Same. I'm thinking that my first playthrough will be as the Athenians.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone".

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #4853 on: May 21, 2013, 01:17:24 AM »
Well I will need to preorder the game then, but I have to ask, what is the point?  I was going to buy the game anyway, so what value is there in incentivizing a preorder on a game released for a single platform?

Honestly the cynic in me thinks it the easiest way to get good PR and an ass-load of money sight unseen. These 'factions' which they are offering looks like little more than a few special unit skins with altered stats along the ability to start off in a different strategic position. The effort for these sorts of things are rather minimal, it is something modders could do day one (especially as this is still the Warscape engine so they know how to manipulate the files). Now CA has in their past few released made many promises that they have never gone through with as well as making some bold faced lies (Warscape the most moddable TW engine ever) to which I am certain a degree of which will happen again this time. If you get people to order before and have tons of people going 'Okay they promised this but failed to implement it but aren't they great they gave me Pontus and three Greek clones free *followed by obligatory Fry and Money picture*'.

I may buy R2 when it has all its DLC factions released and only $15 on some spring steam salein 2014.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #4854 on: May 21, 2013, 03:24:52 AM »
And some faction specific bonuses, and new skins for more than just a few units. Also writing/scripting etc the political elements for the factions, and probably voice work as well. They're not putting no work whatsoever into it. And day 1 is stretching it considering the whole skinning/animating new units thing.

Plus, quite honestly, it's worth $2/3 to me for the polish factor.
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #4855 on: May 21, 2013, 04:17:27 AM »
And some faction specific bonuses, and new skins for more than just a few units.

How many unique skins and units do you believe each faction will get compared to a generic color and emblem reskin of basic Greek Units?

If you believe that to be correct it suggests if you buy the game without the DLC these factions purely under AI control won't have unique 'Spartan Hopilites' or 'Athens Marines' and merely generic 'Greek' tech and units, this I don't believe because what is the damned point of telling players 'look no more rebels all unique factions'. Similarly there will most likely be a Dacia faction not playable but there for later conquest. By the same logic they will only receive generic Barbarian (German or Celt who knows) units and not 'Falxmen'.

Also writing/scripting etc the political elements for the factions, and probably voice work as well.

Scripting what, no Total War game to date has offered such a degree of faction specific scripted events. Maybe they will all have 'Heir to Alexander' or some such but unique items other than the tick boxes for a 'victory condition destroy x and x hold xx provinces' I don't think it is likely. Also I going to bet that the bulk of the voice work will still be generic 'Greek accent voice' though there will be a 'THIS IS SPARTA' or two and the ever so useful pan around the map intro crap from your adviser.

They're not putting no work whatsoever into it. And day 1 is stretching it considering the whole skinning/animating new units thing.

I said minimal not 'no work'. Day one is indeed stretching but as the more important point about having these factions is their different starting positions, wealth, allies, and enemies, not their rosters. How different are late Hellenic armies going to be to require different animations, other than Spartan kicks into wells, Epiriote and Athenian Hopilites are going to stab their spears different?

Look I'll be more than to be wrong, maybe this game will restore my faith in CA. However until proven otherwise all stick with my cynicism. In three months when this is released and these faction are really thought out and look like CA spent plenty of time on feel free to rub it in my face as I'll be waiting to play the 'I told you so' card.

Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4856 on: May 21, 2013, 06:27:39 AM »
CA are being cynical here, and other games companies would be getting nailed for it. But because it is TW they are being given a pass here.

I preordered bioshock infinite and got two free games, If I preorder this its £20 more (why?!) and I get some shitty factions?
I fucking hate dlc. Unless it's good dlc, like old expansion games- see borderlands or far cry 3
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #4857 on: May 21, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
CA are being cynical here, and other games companies would be getting nailed for it. But because it is TW they are being given a pass here.

I fucking hate dlc. Unless it's good dlc, like old expansion games- see borderlands or far cry 3
Agreed. Again. Why are all of your opinions so good?
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #4858 on: May 21, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »

Agreed. Again. Why are all of your opinions so good?
Because he is a reasonable person.
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #4859 on: May 21, 2013, 08:38:59 PM »
Scripting what, no Total War game to date has offered such a degree of faction specific scripted events. Maybe they will all have 'Heir to Alexander' or some such but unique items other than the tick boxes for a 'victory condition destroy x and x hold xx provinces' I don't think it is likely. Also I going to bet that the bulk of the voice work will still be generic 'Greek accent voice' though there will be a 'THIS IS SPARTA' or two and the ever so useful pan around the map intro crap from your adviser.

They said every playable faction will have a mechanic similar to the civil war of the Roman factions in 1 (similar in conception not execution). So yes, they will need to do scripting and stuff.

The rest is really up to opinion. I get why you're jaded, and hell I am for most companies, but the vast majority of TWs DLC has been quite good in my view since Napoleon. They want to make an extra buck, and I'm willing to buy what they're offering, that's all there is to it.

And really, waiting to rub my face into it? Childish much?

Yeah, the new xbox is trouble and if they sell half what the 360 did in the first year I'll be surprised.
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #4860 on: May 21, 2013, 08:52:22 PM »
They said every playable faction will have a mechanic similar to the civil war of the Roman factions in 1 (similar in conception not execution). So yes, they will need to do scripting and stuff.

In theory again here this mechanic is scripted regardless of the DLC, unless AI factions are prohibited from having Civil Wars, which honestly would be rather lame though not unthinkable. Further this mechanic was back in Medieval One and not entirely all that complex.

The rest is really up to opinion. I get why you're jaded, and hell I am for most companies, but the vast majority of TWs DLC has been quite good in my view since Napoleon. They want to make an extra buck, and I'm willing to buy what they're offering, that's all there is to it.

So only the DLC's for Shogun 2 then? To which Rise of the Samurai was at least an expansion feeling DLC, but the single Clans and special units those felt 'quite good' to you?

And really, waiting to rub my face into it? Childish much?

I told you to 'feel free to rub it in my face' and said I reserved the 'I told you so card' for myself, I made no promise I would play it.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #4861 on: May 21, 2013, 11:53:46 PM »
... yeah not helping your point there.

Napoleon's DLC, some of Empire's as well, also Fall of the Samurai's was well done. And yes, quite good for what it was, and the price point (I only ever bought stuff on sale for at least 66% off).

I'll admit I didn't actually buy all of the clans, only the ones that looked like they were different enough from an existing one to merit it. If you don't want to buy them, fine. I'm not saying you have to. I just don't see how CA isn't entitled to make the packs themselves. Quibble about the price if you want ($5 is way too much, 2-3 is fine for factions).

Re: Mechanic. http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/total-war-rome-2-preview-every-detail-about-the-new-engine-naval-combat-multiplayer-and-mods/2/

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not the same one you're talking about. I said similar in concept, not execution.

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #4862 on: May 22, 2013, 09:16:35 AM »
Booya! I finally managed to kill Crawmerax (Borderlands 1 fyi). He dropped a nice Sniper Rifle as well.  :icon_mrgreen:
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #4863 on: May 22, 2013, 06:21:04 PM »
I just bought Rising Storm a couple of days ago.

And with that you get access to the beta. This game is pretty sweet. It is a stand alone expansion for Red Orchestra, the realism FPS shooter. I have wanted such a game for a long time, ever since Red Orchestra 1. This game is delivering that. It is really good and the mood is just right. The developers seem to have caught all the right stuff and mixed into a good game.
Its pretty arcade-like with the maps (one dimensional) but man is it hard to play. Its nothing like COD. Also the flame thrower and banzai charges through smoke really has a psychological effect on you!

I like it!
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4864 on: May 23, 2013, 10:54:49 AM »
EA “no online passes”- yeh, because msoft do it for them now.

Pass the machete.

Offline thundercake

• Members
« Reply #4865 on: May 23, 2013, 01:50:41 PM »
The thing I don't get is why microsoft is trying to become the hub to everything. I mean most new tvs will let you access social media through the tv. IF microsoft wanted to compete here, add the features, but don't do a gamign console reveal that focuses on everything but its gaming capabilities........
Don't underestimate a halfling, their ladle will do a number on your stomach, and on your head.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4866 on: May 23, 2013, 01:53:59 PM »

Pass the machete.

Offline patsy02

• Members
« Reply #4867 on: May 23, 2013, 01:55:46 PM »

PFHOOOAR LOOK AT THOSE

Patriarchy!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4868 on: May 23, 2013, 02:00:14 PM »
I think the amazon is even worse.

fuck this game

Pass the machete.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #4869 on: May 23, 2013, 03:51:44 PM »
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4870 on: May 23, 2013, 03:59:30 PM »
think it's called dragons crown

Pass the machete.

Offline patsy02

• Members
« Reply #4871 on: May 23, 2013, 05:17:38 PM »
I think the amazon is even worse.

fuck this game

Normal in Japan.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4872 on: May 23, 2013, 05:19:44 PM »
japan, stahp

Pass the machete.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #4873 on: May 23, 2013, 08:41:08 PM »
I liked the art from that game!  It is creepy strange though.  Like some of the girls just look like man bodies with boobs and japanese faces.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline patsy02

• Members
« Reply #4874 on: May 23, 2013, 09:15:32 PM »
The witch from the game graphics is fine, boob caricature is crude but harmless. That concept art though is typically Japan-bizarre.