home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 812512 times)

Offline Bildskoene Bengtsson

• Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #5925 on: October 04, 2013, 05:35:15 AM »
DONE!

Finally mananged to get 140 settlements with my romans. I have to say the last 5 or 6 hours of the game was really boring. You know you're going to win, it's just a matter of time.

Time to start a new campaign. Thinking of Macedon, or perhaps Pontus.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #5926 on: October 04, 2013, 05:36:52 AM »
The campaign targets are too high....cultural and economical are even worse.

I wonder how they could manage to have a long term motivation to play a campaign. I never seem to finish any (except the Suebi so far) first 100 turns are ...okish but then it is rather boring as nobody is able to oppose you...mildly annoying at worst.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #5927 on: October 04, 2013, 06:53:02 AM »
I manage to get a few of them but some are ridiculous.

I also agree at the 100 turn thing.  I put my Macedon campaign on hold after 106.  Started over with Rome.  Conquered Carthage without much guff.  the Averni were a bitch to deal with.  5 legions to take them out and their allies.  The only campaign where I lost entire units in my legion and had to withdraw them back to italia to get back up to strength and refit with some new legionaries (still on tier 2 with military management). I am allowed 9 legions right now.  Currently have one in africa and one in Aquitania(?) just in case the neighbors get routy. Took my 6th other legions back to northern modern italy and took the province on the other side of the alps.  Suebi managed to make the german confederation and they are starting to push down to the illyrian area agressively so I may have to intervene.  After the fight the Averni put up, I am not sure how well the war with these germans will be.  So I built another legion to have an active 7.  I am worried about when the civil war may happen and how to deal with it.  I have yet to have a civil war in any of my games due to getting bored around turn 100.

each legion is the same.  Horse general, 2 equites, 4 legionaries, 3 vet legionaries, 1 eagle legionaries, 4 velites.

with my Macedonians its Companion General, 2 thessian (or companion now that I have lvl 4 barracks unlocked), 8 thorax pikemen, 1 armored hoplite(usually serves as the gap filler or flank repel-er), 3 archers, 2 sarissa cav, and 3 ballistas (or are the catapults? giant crossbow thingys).
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• Members
« Reply #5928 on: October 04, 2013, 06:54:34 AM »
Overall it doesn´t have the feeling of a strategy game. I longe for something like...hmmm an ummmphd fantasy general...or an Europa Universalis with more action.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #5929 on: October 04, 2013, 07:08:34 AM »
It is as I expected to be honest.  Naval combat is shit though. I always auto resolve.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• Members
« Reply #5930 on: October 04, 2013, 07:09:59 AM »
Well yes.....sadly the start of ramming in is fun but then most ships get stuck....they manage to capture my ships in naval combat while my vessels usually don´t......it is buggy.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #5931 on: October 04, 2013, 07:12:42 AM »
I just start bringing artillery ships and fire ships.  never use them though, still just auto resolve.
― Jake the Dog

• Members
« Reply #5932 on: October 04, 2013, 07:14:57 AM »
I think everything dies too fast...in land and in ship battles.....

well in land battles if you have elite troops that are only engaged to the front...nothing dies.

Well unless you don´t manage to get rid of slingers...they deal insane amounts of damage even to heavily armoured troops.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #5933 on: October 04, 2013, 07:41:30 AM »
One of my open conflicts with the averni was interesting.  the testudo formation made the slingers useless.  The legionaries also shredded the Celtic warriors and spear units.  I saved the replay.  may go back and watch it.  My cav and velites took some heavy casualties though.  The cav against the averni light horse was a clusterfuck.  the velites survived but took heavy losses from the slingers.  I am curious how cohort armored legionaires would fair.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Bildskoene Bengtsson

• Members
« Reply #5934 on: October 04, 2013, 08:18:16 AM »
As Rome I had 1 Legionary General, 9 Units of the best available footsoldiers, 4 Equites and 6 ballistas or catapult.

Use the catapults to first get rid of enemy cavalry, then killing the general and as many infantry units as possible. The Equites where used to hunt down slingers and other skirmishers. And then when the enemy hit my lines my ten units of Legionaries would just mop up whatever had survived my catapults. This tactic has proved incredibly effective against barbarians. Haven't really tried it against anything else.

Obviously this only works when the enemy is the attacker but since I only attack when I know I'll win on autoresolve I've never tried it on the offense.

• Members
« Reply #5935 on: October 04, 2013, 08:22:51 AM »
Defensive AI is still pretty weak...offensive in open field battles is okish especially when he outnumbers you.

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #5936 on: October 04, 2013, 09:44:59 AM »
I'm playing a mod that has 4 turns per year and double max unit size.  It also has rebalanced combat so that there are less insta-deaths and more grind.  At first it was pretty boring but then I realised that I actually had to use tactics and flank enemies to rout them.  Huge battles are insane though with 320 men per unit.
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #5937 on: October 04, 2013, 10:48:03 AM »
Final fantasy 7 on steam for a fiver... Tempting.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #5938 on: October 04, 2013, 11:32:45 AM »
It was good for its time but by today's standards the graphics are so bad it would be hard to see what's happening. Very Japanese though, if that bugs you like it does some people I wouldn't bother.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #5939 on: October 04, 2013, 01:51:23 PM »
It was good for its time but by today's standards the graphics are so bad it would be hard to see what's happening. Very Japanese though, if that bugs you like it does some people I wouldn't bother.

I play much older games still, with far worse graphics. It's just adapting to the style really. But I'll admit, they're rather rough 3D graphics. As long as you except that as the nature of the beast all is fine I think.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #5940 on: October 04, 2013, 02:21:03 PM »
I could never stand Japanese RPG's.

I'm following a number of western RPG projects at the moment:

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition - http://www.baldursgate.com/
Currently patched to a good level, available on apple tablets.  I loved this game and loved re-playing it and the additional content was excellent.

Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition - http://www.baldursgateii.com/
Obviously the next step from the above.  Due in November.  Undoubtedly one of the best western RPG's of all time.

Project Eternity - http://eternity.obsidian.net/
Obsidian, makers of NWN 2 and Fallout: New Vegas, are making an old school RPG.  They are redefining races and classes and striving to develop a mature and deep story.  Looks really cool, not sure when it's coming out, only $30.

Shroud of the avatar - https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/
Richard Garriott of the Ultima series' is making a new RPG.  Looks huge like the ultima games were.  Here's a life sink if there ever was one.

Torment: Tides of Numenera - https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/
Inspired by Planscape torment.  Has a similar dark and mature themes.  Set in a neo-fantasy-steampunk world.
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #5941 on: October 04, 2013, 02:22:52 PM »

I play much older games still, with far worse graphics. It's just adapting to the style really. But I'll admit, they're rather rough 3D graphics. As long as you except that as the nature of the beast all is fine I think.

The graphics were a big selling point.  As an actual RPG, it isn't very good at all.  But I don't like Japanese RPG.  Like Sig said, it is a matter of taste.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline sammay23

• Members
« Reply #5942 on: October 04, 2013, 02:43:03 PM »
Now, quite seriously, does anyone here know about buliding gaming rigs?

All this talk about Rome II is killing me! I need a computer that can actually run the damn thing!!
Bring out the mop and broom sammay.  I want to see you clean this house.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #5943 on: October 04, 2013, 02:49:07 PM »

All this talk about Rome II is killing me! I need a computer that can actually run the damn thing!!

Don't build one.  Go to IBuyPower.com and get one of theres.  That is what I do.  You will be hard pressed to save much buying things in pieces on Newegg.  You can save some, but seriously, setting up liquid cooling and the various setups isn't worth my time when you factor out the costs.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #5944 on: October 04, 2013, 03:03:22 PM »

Find the specs for the game.  Figure out what kind of system you want.  Then price out the components on a site like newegg or tomshardware.  Don't forget an operating system.

Computers today are basically plug and play.  Just make sure everything has complementary connectors.  If you buy a motherboard with a LGA 1150 socket, make sure you buy a LGA 1150 processor.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #5946 on: October 04, 2013, 03:17:35 PM »
Or hit one of the sites like ibuypower.  They will come within $100 of just about anything you can build on Newegg.  And that includes the operating system and everything is set up already.  Take out of box, plug in, play.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #5947 on: October 04, 2013, 03:18:29 PM »
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?593050-Build-a-PC-for-Rome-2-Hardware-Recommendations-and-Advice-Thread

Given the current state of the game this really doesn't help much, really needs another set of patches aimed toward optimization for a full range of specs to be properly supported. Just building the PC he wants and waiting for Rome 2 to come around to it is more likely the wiser choice.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #5948 on: October 04, 2013, 04:12:24 PM »
only JRPGs I've liked: Earthbound and pokemon.

Is it weird that it kind of irks me that each roman legionnaire unit is double the size it was in reality?  Maybe its TW way of getting more units on the screen with less unit cards. Then again when you get to cohorts its incredibly small.

80 legionnaires in a century, 6 centuries in a cohort, 10 cohorts in a legion.  :eusa_wall:  The first cohort being the most prestigious and double the size of a standard cohort. Then you got Artillery, Auxiliary, and Roman Cavalry too.

Am I the only one who doesn't use auxiliaries?
― Jake the Dog

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #5949 on: October 04, 2013, 05:28:52 PM »
Part of the reason is probably that you can't get enough men in a normal army to reflect the actual composition of a real legion.  A full fighting legion was over 5000 men with auxillaries.  Just a different way of presenting and organizing it really.