home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 812245 times)

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #6800 on: April 09, 2014, 10:37:14 PM »
I adored Wing Commander Privateer.  It opened my mind to what was possible for open world games.

I am buying Star Citizen, I can tell you that.  I am just going to wait til we are a hair closer before getting all fired up!
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #6801 on: April 09, 2014, 10:44:38 PM »
A stance I totally get!

No way I could hold off on that though. The only concern I have is that there is no way to play this on my current computer, so I'll have to upgrade some time this year. I wanna try the alpha of the modules as they become available. Yesterday I visited a friend with a pretty good rig, and we tried the hangar. I was giggling like a schoolgirl walking around my ship and sitting in the pilot chair, making "pew, pew" noises.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #6802 on: April 09, 2014, 10:58:52 PM »
What do you currently have?

I have no idea what the system requirements are, but my rig is very moderate in terms of power.

It is an older i7 - 2.8ish
12 gigs of RAM
nvidia 750i MSI Gamer (4100 winmarks)

Not an expensive set up, yet it gets 50 - 70 fps on Elder Scrolls Online average, and can run most games on very high settings.

Really, this setup is only like $500 nowadays!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #6803 on: April 10, 2014, 07:16:40 AM »
Some of the new ftl stuff seems totally niche, hacking abd stun. Guess I'm using it wrong!
Not used mind control yet.
I was trying in normal but will drop to easy to try the new toys. Couldn't afford the flak gun I found :(

Pokemon x is outstanding. If you haven't played pokemon fir a while, it's worth jumping into.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #6804 on: April 10, 2014, 07:42:15 AM »
Never played Wing Commander though I spend a LOT of time on Frontier (Elite 2). So space sims get some interest from me. I'll be following the general news about Star Citizen though I must say those monthly update reports are exactly what a company needs to do when you're basically a completely community driven (from funding upwards) event. Good of them that they got that and a model for other Kickstarter developers.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #6805 on: April 13, 2014, 03:56:20 AM »
Mechwarrior Online is currently the drug that has overtaken Dota 2 for me.

It is a delicious drug.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #6806 on: April 14, 2014, 08:39:21 AM »
the tiny tina dlc in BL2 is really funny and interesting.

but gosh, sometimes the gameplay seems like a chore.

fuck off skeleton mages

Pass the machete.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #6807 on: April 14, 2014, 08:57:58 AM »
Mechwarrior Online is currently the drug that has overtaken Dota 2 for me.

It is a delicious drug.

Welcome to the game!

If you hadn't noticed yet the learning curve is steep, small mistakes might get you blasted off the battlefield in seconds. What doesn't help is the complete lack of documentation from the producer's side (PGI), except for 2 not so great tutorial videos. The forum is full of helpful people though, willing to help anybody out with questions even if they've been asked a 100 times before. That's just what happens without any real documentation.

Unfortunately the wiki isn't very developed either the last time I checked and is marred by a bad index design where it can be a pain to locate a page you know is there from a previous visist.

What I CAN recommend wholeheartedly is this mechbuilder tool: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

Here you can see all kinds of useful information. All the chassis, their hardpoints and cost. Weapon stats. Mech quirks. And by clicking on a model you get into the actual builder where you can tinker to your hearts delight in a clear environment with a good overview.
MWO itself has declared they're making their own mechbay interface more like 'Smurfy', a good thing.

Have you any previous BattleTech or Mechwarrior game experience? That's always a big help for people.

I go by the handle 'SnagaDance' there btw. Feel free to ask me any questions about stuff that's unclear.

See you on the battlefield!
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #6808 on: April 14, 2014, 09:05:22 AM »
With every change, MrDWhitey's avatar is getting more hideous.  :ph34r:
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #6809 on: April 14, 2014, 12:15:01 PM »
the tiny tina dlc in BL2 is really funny and interesting.

but gosh, sometimes the gameplay seems like a chore.

fuck off skeleton mages

Tiny Tina's game was awesome!

Elder Scrolls Online has gotten really good.  The storyline for the province of Rivenspire was fantastic, probably better than any of the questlines in Oblivion.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #6810 on: April 14, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
What was awesome about it? Gameplay wise. Absolutely adore the setting and story. Gameplay it’s just a huge grind. I am playing on ultimate vault hunter mode to be fair.

Pass the machete.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #6811 on: April 14, 2014, 02:56:11 PM »
Really varied and completely different from the rest of the game, not to mention all of the table top inside jokes and references.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #6812 on: April 14, 2014, 03:08:59 PM »
How is it different to the rest of the game? There’s a few new enemy variants, who all act roughly like previous enemies.

But yes, as I already said, the setting is hilarious. I love it when Brick rolls is d20 into the game and squishes the guy.

Pass the machete.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #6813 on: April 14, 2014, 04:45:23 PM »
Welcome to the game!

Thanks!

I'm lucky in that I've been playing it with friends, one of which has several hundred thousand hours of experience in the game, so I'm getting a lot of help.  :-D

I'm currently running about in a Jaeger with lots of AC, and loving it. My plan is to buy an AWESOME soon because I've found I'm a fan of long range warfare, and I just cannot hack short range combat with lights. Little buggers running around lasering me in the back.

I actually had no experience of either before playing this (though I loved mechs), but due to playing this I've ended up buying the Battletech Intro Box for the boardgame.  :engel:

With every change, MrDWhitey's avatar is getting more hideous.  :ph34r:

I painted this model, I based it on Midaski.  :engel:

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #6814 on: April 14, 2014, 07:43:43 PM »
I'm lucky in that I've been playing it with friends, one of which has several hundred thousand hours of experience in the game, so I'm getting a lot of help.  :-D

I'm currently running about in a Jaeger with lots of AC, and loving it. My plan is to buy an AWESOME soon because I've found I'm a fan of long range warfare, and I just cannot hack short range combat with lights. Little buggers running around lasering me in the back.

I actually had no experience of either before playing this (though I loved mechs), but due to playing this I've ended up buying the Battletech Intro Box for the boardgame.  :engel:

Even better! For me it was my youngest brother, he was a Founder and has been playing since closed beta. First 2 weeks of playing I went through about two 100 mail long Email threads with him, just trying to get to grips with the basic ins and outs.

An Awesome was actually the very first mech I owned! And I sucked with it! So I bought a Jenner and walked the long hard road of mastering Lights. Took me at least 2 weeks not to run into so many obstacles any more. Actually hitting enemies effectively came after that.

Went back to the Awesomes when I was done Mastering the Jenners though. I always loved them on the tabletop but in MWO their energy heavy builds are penalized and all that armour doesn't mean as much when hitting is based on players their aim instead of rolling dice to hit and then determining a hit location on a 2d6 table. Center torso is far too big a target on an Awesome.
Well was, somewhat. A couple months ago they tweaked his torso hitboxes, now more damage goes to the side torsos. Still unlikely to lose one of those though. The Awesome is probably the only Assault mech that you can 'safely' take an XL-engine in. If you die, 49 times out of 50 it will be to CT destruction, not those sides.

Still, I Mastered them as well (well, 3 of them) and I believe the 8R might be the best missile mech in the game. 60 launch tubes (4x15) that go well with those 4 missile hardpoints. A 300XL, 4 Lrm 15, 3 Medium Lasers, DHS and a good amount of ammo and it's good to go. Got mine pimped out with Advanced Target Retention as well. Rare is the game I don't make at least 100K when fielding that one.

And you got the BattleTech intro box? The newest is really nice, those miniatures have been much improved on the previous box that I have, or the cardboard models from the box before that I also own. Can't really bring myself to buy the game again for just some better minis (in contrast to Warhammer the core rules haven't really changed these past 25 years really).  :icon_wink:

Now I'll need to get on with Mastering my Locusts. Not good for my Kill/Death ratio I tell you but luckily I don't care for that ir I'd never play anything lighter than a Heavy mech.

PhillyT

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #6815 on: April 14, 2014, 08:02:48 PM »
My first was a catapult, which I sold when I decided I hated it. Now I love them against after playing the trial one with a full lance of mates all using the trial catapult. LRM heaven.  :icon_twisted:

I had a closed beta account, but at that time I wasn't interested (more fool me), so I lent it to the friend who now has insane amounts of time logged.

After trying various mechs, I saw him using a Jaeger and I was in love immediately. Rapid firing, long range autocannon platform of death? Yes please! I bought one, and I've been playing it exclusively till I earn my AWESOME. I love the damn thing so much.

And I'm still not going to do Lights.  :engel: Once I have my AWESOME, my next target is far more classy.

Also I was just linked this... http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j373/BAWTRM/MWOsoon3.jpg

Small world.  :engel:

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:22:04 PM by MrDWhitey »

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #6816 on: April 15, 2014, 01:37:10 AM »
Is MW better than Hawken?
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #6817 on: April 15, 2014, 08:27:30 AM »
Mechwarrior is just different than Hawken. For all it's mechy skins Hawken is really a rather normal FPS. You run, you jump and you respawn. Being able to make different weapon load-outs is really the only mechy part of it IMO.

MWO has you pilot lumbering mechs, if you're not a Light mech you will not really be going fast. There are a good number of mechs who have no ability to jump. You cannot heal during a battle, can't resupply and once you're dead that's it for that particular match! I also find it a far more challenging game (some may say unforgiving).

Mechs differ in all kinds of aspects. Tonnage, which influences maximum armor and internal structure. Maximum engine ratings, which limit how fast a mech may go, also the engine rating vs your tonnage determines how fast you can torso twist and move your arms. Weapon Hardpoints, divided in Energy, Missile and Ballistic weapons, each of which have a good selection of weapons which differ in weight, size, range, damage, heat etc. The location of the hardpoints is also important. Arm mounted weapons have more freedom of movement for instance, allowing you to peek around corners or just snap that last shot off.
Even within a certain location hardpoints may be mounted high or low. That Jaeger MrDWhitey is talking about has high arm weapon mounts, which makes it easy to fire over terrain. It's arms are limited in terms of sideways movement though which is a handicap.

All in all I think MWO is a far deeper game than Hawken, which also makes it harder and less suitable for just jumping in and blasting stuff. I've found that impatience is a killer in MWO and even though you may think yourself a FPS god (or even are) that won't help you much in MWO. Charge in alone and you'll die, simple as that. If I need to blow of steam or are tired/cranky MWO is a bad game to play. That's when foolish actions are undertaken and you die horribly (at least your mech does).

And I see you've found one of the pictures I posted in the Meme-thread MrDWhitey!  :icon_mrgreen:

Don't tell me you have an actual connection with that picture?

I could also have gotten into Beta. Back then they made a mistake and basically send out Beta invites to everyone who was already a member of the forum. So in the end they allowed everyone in. I didn't though because my laptop back then overheated within 30 minutes and the internet connection was shit.

I also want a mech with a good amount of ballistics in the future. Right now the only two mechs I have/ever had with Ballistics are the Locust 1V (can't even mount an AC/2 really, just MG's) and the Champion Centurion you could win a few weeks ago. Really like that one. AC/2, ERLL, 3 SSRM2's, a 250XL (or was it 275?), I love the dakka and do well with that mech.

But if you say dakka you can't go around the JaegerMech or the Cataphract. I think the Cataphract looks better and those 5 tons help with extra ammo and back up lasers. Those low slung arms though! It's really a brawler where the Jaeger is more direct fire support.

And an Atlas like a sir! I've also got one (a D-DC). I'm actually saving up for a second one, the one with the 300XL in it. Very expensive but I want that XL300 to rip it out of him and give to the KTO-18 I've got (the only Kintaro I kept after Mastering them). Then I'll have 3 mechs with an XL300 and won't have to swap that engine around anymore (for now).
The Atlas (or at least the D-DC) is also the only mech for which double Basic skills do not really feel needed IMO. Hence why I've gone off Mastering 2 other mech types before even buying a second one of them.

PhillyT

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #6818 on: April 15, 2014, 08:58:57 PM »
I just bought the Hero Hunchback.

Getting used to how Gauss fires is going to take awhile...

I also got my Awesome! It is awesome.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #6819 on: April 16, 2014, 08:29:20 AM »
So do you just buy single mechs you fancy or do you actually purchase 3 variants of the same chassis in order to unlock their skills all the way from Basic through Elite to Master? (I do the latter mostly)

PhillyT

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #6820 on: April 16, 2014, 02:11:38 PM »
I haven't been playing long enough to be buying 3 variants.  :icon_lol:

At the moment it's just mechs I fancy.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #6821 on: April 16, 2014, 08:16:09 PM »
Anyone else enjoying the timewasting of One Finger Death Punch?

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #6822 on: April 17, 2014, 07:49:32 AM »

That........sounds like it's from some completely lame martial arts movie.

PhillyT

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #6823 on: April 17, 2014, 11:13:50 AM »

That........sounds like it's from some completely lame martial arts movie.

And that's exactly what it's based on  :icon_lol:

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #6824 on: April 20, 2014, 07:38:50 AM »
Got Wasteland 2 early access on Steam...and while it has the bugs of an early access game...

it is amazing.

It is what Fallout could have done better with the scripting and questing.

So right after the start your newbie troupe has to save two locations Highgarden and the Ag center....both are attacked at the same time and a bit apart.

SPOILER

You can only save one.....if you move to save the Ag you get radio messages how the raiders pick apart highgarden...if you save the Ag you hear the panicked calls from the farmers from the Center ....with the last message going down something along the lines.....

donīt ......send anyone....noone is left.

The moment when you get that transmission and think....fuck......damn there has to be a way....but no there isnīt.

Great scripting.