home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 812278 times)

Offline Aldaris

• Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #6875 on: May 10, 2014, 02:35:30 PM »
Quicker even, with a good gunner. But you need to charge up to that speed, and that takes a good while.  Add in a couple of misses now and then, and it can take a long time to chew through 3-4 shields. It's awesome when you can just outlast the opposition, and it's a lot of fun to use too, but you need some additional stuff to take down the shields quickly or it will take forever until you can even think about targeting something other than shields.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #6876 on: May 10, 2014, 03:46:08 PM »
Boarding crew for the missile room.
Three shields
Cloak for the surges.
Vulcan
Win.

Can't imagine how epic it'd be for a ship which starts with a burst Mark 2 to find a Vulcan early
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #6877 on: May 10, 2014, 05:40:23 PM »
Burst Mk II are still my favourite guns, hands down. Soooo efficient!

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #6878 on: May 10, 2014, 09:14:30 PM »
Aaand now I've had the complete dream armament. Slug Cruiser layout B, took a while to get a favorable start (starting with a teleporter, Artemis missile and healing bomb with no medbay and just slug crew is fun, but falls apart pretty quickly when you get into bad matchups). But then: Vulcan, 2 Flak. Massacre mode engaged!

(Oh, and I also had stealth weapons, pre-igniter and the one that lets you ignore super shields, because fuck it, if you get a totally broken build once in a while you might as well go all the way.)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 09:25:10 PM by Aldaris »

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #6879 on: May 11, 2014, 12:42:37 AM »
I ended up beating Pursuer by baiting him into the charge attack, rolling to the side and blasting him with spells.  But now I have the chariot bossfight with those fucking recombobulating skellies - the fight would be hella easy if it wasn't for them.  Sadly the best attempt I had was the one where I had recording problems (ie I forgot to press Record) - I actually killed both necros and all the skellies and had the boss down to about half health when he dark breath'd me and I couldn't avoid it.

Currently uploading yesterday's recordings, it's been going since about 10pm last night and won't be finished until about 1.30 this afternoon.  My upload speed is woeful.  I queried my ISP and they tell me I'm already on the fastest upload plan they have available.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #6880 on: May 11, 2014, 06:58:53 AM »
I find it really easy to get to the last stand with the engi ship, but it's hard to get it able to best the flag ship.
I'm trying to unlock layout b of the fed cruiser, but getting to sector five only using your burst laser takes ages.

Pass the machete.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #6881 on: May 11, 2014, 09:02:46 AM »
highly frustrating run there. got 2 the flagship with 2 burst mark 2s, cloaking, teleporting and a fully upgraded arty beam.

killed the first staged without taking a hull point of damage.

second stage, got boarding drone'd. boarding drone landed in my cloakroom, right before a power surge. the power surge hurt an array of systems, and i got hit by another boarding drone. My crew died from asphyxiation with the flagship on 1 hull point. I think I would have taken stage 3 easily, it's only the boarding drones which cause problems.

so close to unlocking the zoltan cruiser!

FTL must be the best £3.50 I've ever spent. I've played it for 60 hours.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 09:21:27 AM by Finlay »

Pass the machete.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #6882 on: May 11, 2014, 05:05:11 PM »
Fully agree on FTL being the best spend in a long time. I like the Engi cruiser, I can just never get through shields with it quick enough to kill the flagship.

I had a terrible run last night. Fed cruiser, all the sectors, didn't find a single other weapon. I didn't even know it was possible. I ended up just pouring my money into cloaking, mind control and some defence drones. Figured maybe, just maybe, artillery would win it for me. It didn't.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #6883 on: May 12, 2014, 04:49:39 AM »
This video starting at 8 minutes in shows just how bad I am at Souls games.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #6884 on: May 13, 2014, 07:17:32 PM »
god damnit i FUCKING hate boarding drones.

got through stage 1, killed all the crew apart from laser guy.

killed it easily on stage 2- except i didn't neutralise the drone bay quick enough. i had 3 crew trapped in the medbay, only level 1, with 1% oxygen. not able to move or they'd die. frickenstickens.

tried to hack it immediately but his defense drone shot it down. tried to ion bomb it but it didnt stop the boarding drone from attacking. I stupidly lost a mantis in sector 7, which meant by boarding team was a mantis and a rock, not 2 mantis with the rock for ship defense. probably lost me the game.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 07:20:32 PM by Finlay »

Pass the machete.

Offline sammay23

• Members
« Reply #6885 on: May 14, 2014, 01:29:28 PM »
Had a chance to buy a Vulcan last night, on stage 2. Sold basically everything to do so, only to realize that I was 2 scrap short of being able to upgrade to four power for my weapons array.

*sigh*

So close, and yet, so far.
Bring out the mop and broom sammay.  I want to see you clean this house.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #6886 on: May 14, 2014, 02:13:43 PM »
The only time I have won vs the AE so far was when I got a Vulcan in stage 7.

I had 2 promising runs end last night. You know when you get all the good stuff shown to you in sector 1 and 2 before you can afford it? pre-igniter, burst IIs, flak IIs, defence drones etc. and I was stealth ship so needed to buy shield. Unfortunately I pushed too far on my armanents and drone defense (fed up of boarding drone killing me, defence drone 1 now essential for all runs!) and died.

Another run in the red tail, where I’d got a burst mark 2, a chain laser and a small bomb, ended when I was boarded by 4 mantis in an event, in sector 2. Only had 4 crew.

It’s so addictive!

Pass the machete.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #6887 on: May 14, 2014, 03:17:37 PM »

That's not how you get to that item.

Have you never heard of the Ring of Binding?  Or did you miss it?  Alternatively, use the Ring of Life Protection, which changes dying from "lose all your souls" to "lose 3000 souls."

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #6888 on: May 14, 2014, 03:48:06 PM »
Finished Metro Last Light last night.  Playing a bit of Sins of the Solar Empire.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #6889 on: May 14, 2014, 07:44:21 PM »
you know you've been playing FTL too long, when you prace space to try and pause your internet browser

Pass the machete.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #6890 on: May 14, 2014, 10:52:40 PM »

It's how I got it.  Eventually.  How are you supposed to get it?  I tried dropping from above but the fall was too far and I died.

Quote from: zifnab0
Have you never heard of the Ring of Binding?

Never.  It is a blind playthrough after all.  What is it and what area is it in?

Alternatively, use the Ring of Life Protection, which changes dying from "lose all your souls" to "lose 3000 souls."

Actually I do have one of those I think.  Aren't they one-use-only like in Dark Souls I?

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #6891 on: May 15, 2014, 12:09:58 AM »

It's how I got it.  Eventually.  How are you supposed to get it?  I tried dropping from above but the fall was too far and I died.

Drop from the bridge above.  It wasn't that much damage, but given that you're hollow and at like half life, it's no surprise you died.

Have you never heard of the Ring of Binding?

Never.  It is a blind playthrough after all.  What is it and what area is it in?

It was an item in Demon Souls and Dark Souls, it reduces your HP reduction while hollow.  I think it was in Heide's Tower.

Alternatively, use the Ring of Life Protection, which changes dying from "lose all your souls" to "lose 3000 souls."

Actually I do have one of those I think.  Aren't they one-use-only like in Dark Souls I?

You can repair it now for 3000 souls, and I'm pretty sure it keeps your humanity.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #6892 on: May 15, 2014, 01:28:08 PM »
So Microsoft had taken the same 'we'll win this generation's console war because we won the last one and everyone likes us better' stance with the Xbox 1. You know, the same stance that hurt Sony so much going from PS2 to PS3 (taking essentially the entire life-cycle of the console to get even again).

So now they've decided to release a version without Kinect, i.e. lowering the price by 100, which seems like a clever move.

But read these snippets from one of their spokepersons, many completely contradicting earlier viewpoints. Corporate bullshit to the max!

"...for years now we’ve been trying to be very customer focused, looking to our fans and taking their feedback. You can track all the way back to E3, where after we got out we had a lot of good feedback about how you can play games, used games, and online connectivity. We’ve been very responsive, and this is consistent with that approach."

"...the reason people buy these consoles is to play games."

"It’s hard to really assess the gap in sales. They’re in many more markets right now than we are. They’re in 40+ markets, we’re in 13. People have been more satisfied with the Xbox 360 than the PS3, so in that respect people have less of a need to upgrade in the short term due to regular updates for the Xbox 360."

Full article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/05/13/microsofts-yusuf-mehdi-explains-the-xbox-ones-split-with-kinect-2/

Really. People upgrade from PS3 to 4 (no Xbox users do this apparently) but Xbox users are so much more happy with their 360 that they don't want to get the 1? How can you even say such a thing with a straight face?

Regardless. We'll see what it does for them. I think the 100 dollar lower price point will really help them, especially to keep 360 players that haven't upgraded yet. Those that went PS4 though....

Competition is good though, keeps quality higher and prices lower (though AAA-titles more the same arguably).
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #6893 on: May 15, 2014, 01:32:02 PM »
it costs £349 kinectless i the uk

a few weeks ago, they had a bundle with a kinect, with titanfall, for £349.

so the pricve has gone up again!" ha ha

i'm waiting for further drops, then will buy a kinectless one for Destiny.

Kinect is not compatibile with where/how i game.

Pass the machete.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #6894 on: May 15, 2014, 01:44:16 PM »
Kinect is not compatibile with where/how i game.
Kinect is not compatibile with how anyone does anything.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #6895 on: May 16, 2014, 10:57:23 AM »
no hype for watch dogs or wolfenstein? looking at both with interest, waiting for reviews.

Pass the machete.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #6896 on: May 16, 2014, 02:02:04 PM »
Wait until they've both been out for a few weeks before even thinking of getting them.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #6897 on: May 16, 2014, 02:58:13 PM »
no hype for watch dogs or wolfenstein? looking at both with interest, waiting for reviews.

Wolfenstein has been poor the last two outings.  Hopefully this one will be better.

Watchdogs should be decent by all the hype.  I'll grab it on the PS4 most likely.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #6898 on: May 16, 2014, 03:03:21 PM »
yep, since Return to the castle which was I 2001! which was incredible.

I'm hoping this boots it back. certainly looks interesting. I can see it bombing, or being critically acclaimed.

watch dogs looks a bit like... choices and options but really not much.  might end up prescriptive/semi-scripted once you've hacked a steam explosion for the 50th time.

Pass the machete.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #6899 on: May 16, 2014, 04:15:07 PM »
If we get 5people together that like smallworld i will gift it to them once i get home tomorrow.

Too late steam sale over already...booooo
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 12:30:30 PM by Fandir Nightshade »