home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 812403 times)

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #8825 on: April 27, 2015, 03:10:22 PM »
I like the one hand move set for the ultra sword.  It's big sweeping chops that is super hard to dodge.  I'll try the pursuer sword.  Supposedly the stone ace got buffed in the patches, but I don't know if that makes it good enough!
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #8826 on: April 28, 2015, 03:18:26 AM »
Just killed Micolash.  What a prick of a fight.  Not the boss himself - kinda easy, actually, once you can reach him - but getting to him is a bitch.  That fucking maze drove me mental.

Been considering getting Bloodtinge to 18 to give Evelyn a try.  Seems a waste of levels on this character, since I normally run dual-blade BoM and only use pistol for parrying anyway, but I just feel like trying it out.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8827 on: April 28, 2015, 05:04:59 AM »
Evelyn is worse than the hunter pistol until about 25 bloodtinge I think. The difference is tiny unless you heavily invest.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8828 on: April 28, 2015, 07:20:24 AM »
Yeah, I shouldnt have gone up for it!  Too bad you can't respec!

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8829 on: April 28, 2015, 07:41:14 AM »
Yeah, I think most of those high-scaling weapons are complete garbage unless you go all the way.

My character is now 110 and I'll just leave him there. I wanted to try a bunch of weapons, so I went:

Vit: 40
End: 20
Str: 16
Dex: 14
Blood: 45
Arcane: 25

I got the str up to use the Ludwig's, with Fire or Bolt. It's pretty good, definitely more useful than the Saw Cleaver. Despite the AR being higher I do less damage per hit, but get far more hits out of my stamina bar than with the cleaver. The Trick version is amazing too, since you're often using fire damage or whatnot to clear rats or other hordes, so the wide swings are amazing.

Chikage is probably the hardest hitting weapon in the game. It's unreal how much damage it does and on bosses there is just no comparison. Trick version that is - regular R1 attacks hitting for 450 no worries, sheathed R1 for 600+, headshots on bosses 900+.

Evelyn with 45 Bloodtinge hits like a truck. It's basically not worth using any of the Hunter Tools with that, since it does far more damage per bullet than any Tool. With Bone Ash it headshots for 700 on bosses, and triggers the stagger really fast.

I can use every Tool except the Call Beyond. They're mostly worthless, though Beast Roar is fantastic and Tiny Tonitrus hits really hard. I have to experiment more with the Hunter Bone but I don't think it lasts long enough to be viable. Blinking around is sweet though.

I'm up to the Great Pthermu chalice, the one with Yharnam as the final boss. Once I get her I'll beat the game.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #8830 on: April 28, 2015, 11:40:57 AM »
did you buy any of the Destiny DLCs philster? the HoW stuff looks pretty cool so far!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8831 on: April 28, 2015, 01:42:08 PM »
Ended up just beating it after dying to one of the chalice bosses a few too many times. Gehrman was badass and if I wasn't 40 Vit a big challenge. As it was got him second time. Moon was easy, first try. Bonus boss really.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8832 on: April 28, 2015, 05:28:11 PM »
Finley:  I have no idea what things are out for Destiny!  I haven't even turned it on since november when GTA V arrived!

Sig:  I'll have to load it back up.  I did the easy ending after backing up my save and getting the trophy.  I fought Gerhman twice and haven't tried again.  Playing quite a lot of DS 2 currently!

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #8833 on: April 28, 2015, 08:28:34 PM »
I got the str up to use the Ludwig's, with Fire or Bolt.

Exactly what I did  :biggriin:  I'm not overly thrilled by the slow swing speed though, even in longsword mode it's got a long windup.  I need to experiment more, though - and also farm up a shitload of chunks to get it past +6.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8834 on: April 28, 2015, 08:58:12 PM »
Farming chunks sucks nuts. I can't be bothered.

I'm up to Yharnam now. She's tougher than I expected, but I'll get her.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #8835 on: April 28, 2015, 09:13:31 PM »
Farming chunks sucks nuts. I can't be bothered.

Tell me about it.  I got a chunk from the very first gargoyle in Cainhurst that I killed, when I was just going through the level and not even farming, but haven't got a single one since.  With two Eye runes I've got a discovery of about 270 but even the werewolves in Upper Cathedral Ward don't want to drop more than one or two chunks every couple of runs.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #8836 on: April 30, 2015, 11:24:58 PM »
Wet Nurse is dead.  This would probably be the easiest boss so far except for one dick move - that dark cloud/teleporting clone thing, the fucker 'ports right next to you and smacks your face, and if you somehow manage to dodge it the original has super-stretchy arms that reach across the entire arena and stun-lock combo me to death.  Killed me four or five times before I looked it up and discovered it does actually run out after a minute or so.  After that I stopped trying to attack when the cloud was up and just focused on dodging, and eventually it goes away and lets me get back to killing.

Technically this is the last compulsory boss, so I guess for all intents and purposes I've beaten the game.  But of course I still have Ebrietas to go, plus chalices, and of course I won't add spoilers but do I know about the three endings.

Speaking of chalices, I've done the first Pthumeru just to see what the go is.  Obviously I'm way overlevelled, but even so it was kinda... meh.  A lot of running around in circles hacking away at things.  I guess they'll get better as I get into deeper ones?

Also the area leading up to the Wet Nurse is the best grinding spot in the game.  Run through the area with all the yarnham shadows and giant pigs, with three moon runes memorised I can rack up about 90k in a couple of minutes with relatively little risk.  Been using it to level up my off-stats so's to play around with different weapons.  Still gotta get another 14 strength to use the cannon though  :-D

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8837 on: May 01, 2015, 01:12:16 AM »
The chalices don't change at all. They're just boring. They do have some unique enemies and lots of unique bosses, well worth it for that. Headless blood-letting beast, my God. But the actual levels suck arse.

They get pretty nasty by the depth five. My 40 vit felt very weak against some enemies, let alone bosses.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8838 on: May 01, 2015, 03:48:15 PM »
Killed the scorpion lady boss last night, then proceeded to waste a bunch of lock stones on useless things in the area fter her.

I currently transition between a +5 Greatsword, a +7 Axe, and a +5 club, depending on what I am dealing with.

Really enjoying the game but again, so ugly and not very well built in comparison to Bloodborne or the first Dark Souls.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8839 on: May 01, 2015, 05:06:25 PM »
One of the best weapons in the game for just a basic str build used to be the humble Mace. Amazing damage, decent moves. The Red Iron Sword was pretty good too, and the Red Iron Twinblade was the king of weapons before I quit. Spin to win. Just tremendous damage.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8840 on: May 01, 2015, 06:17:44 PM »
I loved the giant club in Dark Souls.  The sweeping strikes from the Greatsword are great too though.  I like them better than the up and down attacks from the Pursuer.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8841 on: May 01, 2015, 07:02:29 PM »
Fair enough! For me the best all around weapon was the Claymore class of weapons. R1 sweeps with the R2 stab. As a tip, in this game you don't need to worry about wasting upgrade materials. You can buy like 3 slabs from a vendor later in the game, and chunks become unlimited. It's almost always (at least when I was playing) better to imbue a weapon with fire or dark or whatever even if your attack skill in that was worthless, they ended up with a net damage increase.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8842 on: May 01, 2015, 07:16:28 PM »
ahhh, I was going to ask that.  I have dark available but wasn't sure what to do with it. 

My bigger issue with Pursuer is I only have one petrified bone and it won't get close to the damage of the other weapons.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8843 on: May 01, 2015, 07:42:25 PM »
Petrified bones are quite a pain to farm. They don't drop all that often. You end up with enough to fully upgrade at least one weapon, maybe two I'm not sure. There are lots of other Boss Soul two handers anyway. I had the King's Ultra Greatsword.

I don't know if you've used a Bonfire Ascetic yet, but that's the way you farm things like this. There is an area toward the end of the game with lots of them scattered around the level, like 5-6. Lots of other materials too, and Crystal Lizards. What a Bonfire Ascetic does is reset the area around the bonfire and push it into NG+. Bosses respawn (and the Four Great Souls drop an additional, different Soul in NG+ so it can be worth doing for that) and all the drops respawn. The rest of the game stays in the current NG, but that area gets bumped up by one. You can do it as many times as you have the item. So doing it in that area nets you a lot of bones, but makes it a bit harder. Ascetics get remembered in your next NG+, so if you push the Dragon Aerie (the level with lots of mats) into say NG+7, if you finish the game and go into the next game (it's not automatic in this game, you get the ending then respawn in Majula with the option to move forward at the Bonfire there) that area will now be NG+8.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8844 on: May 01, 2015, 08:32:43 PM »
I didn't even understand what the bonefire asthetic did and sold the only one I found!

I'll add dark to the greatsword but does it change the upgrade material?

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8845 on: May 01, 2015, 09:11:26 PM »
No, doesn't change it. You can also revert it easily later.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8846 on: May 01, 2015, 09:12:42 PM »
Okay, nice!

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #8847 on: May 01, 2015, 09:57:44 PM »
Slabs are common drops from the infinitely respawning stone soldiers in Castle Drangleic.  At least, they were in the original, dunno about the SotFS edition.

Also you don't need to bonfire ascetic to farm anymore, just join the Champions Covenant and enemies will not despawn.  You can leave the covenant with no penalties after you're done farming.  But once again, I haven't played SotFS edition.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8848 on: May 02, 2015, 12:14:50 AM »
Ascetics are good because they respawn lizards and items on the ground. Dragon Aerie has tons of both, easiest way to get Bones which are a bitch to farm otherwise.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #8849 on: May 02, 2015, 01:06:39 AM »
So I pre-order The Witcher 3 today, 20% from GoG only helped but it looks like a damn good game.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan