home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 812258 times)

Offline Sig

• Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #9350 on: February 06, 2016, 05:24:34 AM »
Guess I was justified waiting on FO4. Probably won't bother at all. Lost their touch.

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #9351 on: February 06, 2016, 09:10:39 AM »
I don't think they lost their touch, I think they they released the same game 6 times and added very little. I don't think skyrim is particularly different, lots of fetch quests and ignoring your achievements. I don't think I've really enjoyed a fallout/elder scrolls game in a while. I've played them alot but its kinda like final fantasy for me now. They were awesome and I still buy them, but I'm not sure why.

I mean, my girlfriends Pokemon games are a better RPG than Final Fantasy these days. At least the convoluted story is appropriate and there's no watching a character pointlessly jump around the screen.
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #9352 on: February 06, 2016, 12:05:27 PM »
I felt Skyrim was terrific.  The pinnacle of tinge Bethesda style.  Without some real improvements, it's likely going to be their high water mark.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #9353 on: February 06, 2016, 12:20:25 PM »
I agree about Skyrim. It has its flaws, but it does so much right.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #9354 on: February 06, 2016, 01:00:37 PM »
Aaaand I lost my first campaign. Wrong building priorities, too little emphasis on building up the resistance network. By the time I got around to doing that the Avatar project was too far along to stop. Bugger!

Well, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
 :-P

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #9355 on: February 06, 2016, 02:37:27 PM »

Plenty of flaws in my opinion. Skyrim was one of the very few single player games, which I never completed. I felt like many of the quests were pretty bad and the whole dragon born thing had no appeal to me. Many of the choices you had in the quests were completely stupid and ruined my immersion. I hated how the game sometimes forced you to kill innocents in order to progress and even if you did get an actual choice, the "bad" option did offer the better rewards. The amount of titles and whatnot that you could get was ridiculous as well: housecarl here, housecarl there, master mage, minstrel, etc. on top of being the dragon born .. the chosen one ...
I have started to play it in 2014 and if it hadn't been for all the mods available at the time, which offered visual enhancements (better looking characters, armour, etc.), I would not have played for more than 3 hours.

With that being said, the countless dungeons, caves and ruins, which you could explore, were fantastic (even though I got lost all the time). This is where the game shines. The visuals, all the details and the lighting were gorgeous and the atmoshphere great.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9356 on: February 06, 2016, 07:16:45 PM »
Aaaand I lost my first campaign. Wrong building priorities, too little emphasis on building up the resistance network. By the time I got around to doing that the Avatar project was too far along to stop. Bugger!

Well, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
 :-P

I'm really not a fan of how rapidly the Avatar network progresses.  I enjoyed the slightly more leisurely pace of the last game as well as the base building aspects.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #9357 on: February 06, 2016, 10:59:56 PM »

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9358 on: February 07, 2016, 02:27:22 AM »
My literal first impression and mini review to XCOM2

https://youtu.be/xh_GmECDpW4
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #9359 on: February 07, 2016, 05:31:15 AM »
ick...One of the voices for the XCOM 2 Soldiers is the same voice as Male Fallout 4 character...thankfully I can change that
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #9360 on: February 07, 2016, 11:37:18 AM »
Blood Bowl 2 is on sale on Steam, £17. Quite tempted!
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Online Brad

• Members
« Reply #9361 on: February 08, 2016, 02:07:28 AM »
I didn't realise x-com had such emphasis on base building and economic management.  I signed up for the shooty-bang-bang, not the kissy-butt-butt.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #9362 on: February 08, 2016, 08:48:36 AM »

Plenty of flaws in my opinion. Skyrim was one of the very few single player games, which I never completed. I felt like many of the quests were pretty bad and the whole dragon born thing had no appeal to me. Many of the choices you had in the quests were completely stupid and ruined my immersion. I hated how the game sometimes forced you to kill innocents in order to progress and even if you did get an actual choice, the "bad" option did offer the better rewards. The amount of titles and whatnot that you could get was ridiculous as well: housecarl here, housecarl there, master mage, minstrel, etc. on top of being the dragon born .. the chosen one ...
I have started to play it in 2014 and if it hadn't been for all the mods available at the time, which offered visual enhancements (better looking characters, armour, etc.), I would not have played for more than 3 hours.

With that being said, the countless dungeons, caves and ruins, which you could explore, were fantastic (even though I got lost all the time). This is where the game shines. The visuals, all the details and the lighting were gorgeous and the atmoshphere great.

That's true. I'm a leader of the Companions and they still sent ME on quests to kill a friggin' bear. Not to mention the Dragons have already became more of nuisance than a real, genuine threat...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 09:57:14 AM by Xathrodox86 »
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #9363 on: February 08, 2016, 09:35:14 AM »
That's true. I'm a leader of the Companions and they still sent ME on quests to kill a friggin' bear.

"Of course. I, the Dragonborn, leader of the Companions, Archmage, Supreme Assassin and Savior of Skyrim, shall collect those 5 turnips for you!"

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #9364 on: February 08, 2016, 09:58:29 AM »
That's true. I'm a leader of the Companions and they still sent ME on quests to kill a friggin' bear.

"Of course. I, the Dragonborn, leader of the Companions, Archmage, Supreme Assassin and Savior of Skyrim, shall collect those 5 turnips for you!"

"Why yes, I can deliver that old, filthy broomstick to your aunt in village mcnordicname. I'd be more than happy to do that, right after I'll kill all those Draugrs in that dungeon over there."
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #9365 on: February 08, 2016, 10:08:01 AM »
Some heroes are more modest than others...
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #9366 on: February 08, 2016, 10:36:38 AM »
I didn't realise x-com had such emphasis on base building and economic management.  I signed up for the shooty-bang-bang, not the kissy-butt-butt.

one enables the other. Both important!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline red shift

• Members
« Reply #9367 on: February 08, 2016, 11:56:47 AM »
I may be opening Pandora's box, here but - we have a Nintendo Wii and have recently found it seems to have stopped being supported. I'm interested in getting a new consol for me but also for my three year old and one of the appeals of the wii was the kid friendly games - any recommendations on whether playstation or xbox are best for families? I also don't really want to have to replace it any time soon, are either of those consols recent enough that they won't be replaced in a few years?

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #9368 on: February 08, 2016, 12:18:49 PM »
Wii u? But I think there's a new Nintendo console on the horizon.

Pass the machete.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9369 on: February 08, 2016, 04:38:14 PM »
So I am now really enjoying Xcom 2.  I like the base building, UFO shooting and crash reconning of the first one, but the style of this one is very good.

Aldaris and I chatted on Steam a little and I agree with him, they nailed the insurgent feel.  The concealment mechanic on most levels is very cool once you learn how to use it and set up those vicious ambushes.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #9370 on: February 08, 2016, 04:45:15 PM »
Trying really hard not to buy it. But now I didn't get St launch I feel obliged to wait for first price drop.

Philly I don't think I ever added you on steam!

Pass the machete.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9371 on: February 08, 2016, 05:11:38 PM »
Steam ID: PhillyT with a picture of Shodan from System Shock 2 as my picture!

You could probably get away with waiting for a price drop.  Do you have anything else you can play right now?  I could have easily waited since I have a pile of unfinished games, including Mass Effect 3 and The Witcher 3!  I also got Just Cause 3 and The Line.  I'm way behind on these things.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #9372 on: February 08, 2016, 05:16:33 PM »
i'm playing fifa, a bit of destiny. still have witcher 3 and DA:I to finish.

also want to paint more!

I can definitely get away with it, just impatient and undisciplined. It looks fun.

Pass the machete.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #9373 on: February 09, 2016, 12:44:53 AM »
Witcher 3 was very nice, but the controls drove me crazy at times - god damn console port.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9374 on: February 09, 2016, 04:59:21 PM »
I played Witcher 3 on PS4, so the controller worked well!

Xcom 2 is fantastic now.  I am distinctly poor at base managment.  I keep running out power...