home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 812283 times)

Offline Brad

• Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #9700 on: May 20, 2016, 07:19:48 PM »
When Witcher 3 came out I bought Witcher 1, played it for about two hours, and realised it is one of the worst games ever made.  I can't even begin to understand how it ever managed to sell enough units to justify even one sequel, let alone two.

@Dark Souls 3: I've beaten the pair of princes and been transported to the Kiln.  This has something of an end-game look about it.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #9701 on: May 20, 2016, 08:38:14 PM »
I think tw3 is a totally different game to tw1 and 2
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #9702 on: May 21, 2016, 01:47:05 AM »
I played TW1 and 2, but finished neither. Kinda fizzled out for me, since I never really warmed up to Geralt all that well.

I loved the art style though (I'm a sucker for historically authentic looking clothes and gear), and a lot of the quests were well done. So I do look forward to playing TW3 to see if it can finally win me over.

Online Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9703 on: May 21, 2016, 02:34:24 PM »
When Witcher 3 came out I bought Witcher 1, played it for about two hours, and realised it is one of the worst games ever made.  I can't even begin to understand how it ever managed to sell enough units to justify even one sequel, let alone two.

I did that prior to Assassins creed 2 came out - bought and played 1. Enjoyed the setting enough to go for 2, but was frustrated with various mechanics (which 2 fixed).
The finished brotherhood, and started revelations, and hated the base defense crap enough to stop playing it completely. Have continued to buy up to and including black flag, but haven't actually played them.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #9704 on: May 21, 2016, 05:00:25 PM »
Go and play Black Flag, I think that's a really nice version with the whole Caribbean pirate feel and how you use your ship to get around and perform sea battles.

Using a ship was introduced in 3 but I found that one rather tiresome, so much felt like fetch quests, ugh.

"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #9705 on: May 22, 2016, 04:34:46 AM »
Just beat Dark Souls 3.  Took a shade under 50 hours.  Now to look up all the stuff I missed.

Online Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9706 on: May 23, 2016, 03:58:29 AM »
Go and play Black Flag, I think that's a really nice version with the whole Caribbean pirate feel and how you use your ship to get around and perform sea battles.

I have heard that. But to me that sounds like a pirate game, not an assassins game. Which means I am leaving it alone until I feel like playing a pirate game.

Has anyone played rogue, unity or syndicate?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #9707 on: May 23, 2016, 11:23:21 AM »
Tommorow's a big day lads. TW: Warhammer makes its premiere. I'm already hyped. :::cheers:::
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline valmir

• Members
« Reply #9708 on: May 23, 2016, 04:55:52 PM »
I played TW1 and 2, but finished neither. Kinda fizzled out for me, since I never really warmed up to Geralt all that well.

I loved the art style though (I'm a sucker for historically authentic looking clothes and gear), and a lot of the quests were well done. So I do look forward to playing TW3 to see if it can finally win me over.

I bought W1 and 2 on Steam Sale around the time W3 came out. Got a couple of hours into the first one. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. I do find that I'm frustrated by "go and collect/kill x of this" quests in any form (although I have to say they were not so egregious in this). I didn't like the idea of getting a collector's card for all of the ladies you bang, though. Not so much the possibility of banging in itself - more the idea of the collector's card.

Anyway, yeah. I just kinda fizzled out. For me, gaming time is always "do I want to continue Game X, or should I play some more of Demon's/Dark Souls/Bloodborne?", and typically I choose the latter.
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I'm pretty sure the dwarfs are carved from refined suck. I'd rather build an army out of lego.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #9709 on: May 23, 2016, 06:01:07 PM »
The best thing about w3 so far is the total lack of go kill/collect x quest's.

It's an amazing game so far.

Pass the machete.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9710 on: May 25, 2016, 09:04:16 PM »
Protip for Battlefleet Gothic Armada's campaign.  As soon as you hit lvl 8 admiral, get a fucking battleship as soon as you fucking can!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCT371gmUQQ
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #9711 on: May 26, 2016, 07:18:49 AM »
Playing RimWorld lately, interesting game. Still in Alpha, and lots to be added to make it great. Anyone else playing it?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 07:24:40 AM by Realjuan »
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #9712 on: May 26, 2016, 07:38:33 AM »
Playing RimWorld lately, interesting game. Still in Alpha, and lots to be added to make it great. Anyone else playing it?

Saw some Let's Play videos from quill18 on YouTube about it, looks really interesting (in one play he started with his 3 survivors all having the Cannibal trait). Pity you can't just get it through Steam (even though it's Alpha).
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #9713 on: May 26, 2016, 10:59:23 AM »
The best thing about w3 so far is the total lack of go kill/collect x quest's.

It's an amazing game so far.

I love how a regular old "go kill monster X" quest requires research, preparation, effort, and branching storyline options (sometimes) before you actually confront the monster.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #9714 on: May 26, 2016, 11:28:33 AM »
Yup. It's the main strength of the game
Although I find the size of the open world a bit daunting.

Pass the machete.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #9715 on: May 26, 2016, 11:38:38 AM »
Does anyone know when the third party 1080s will start appearing? I need to completely redo my rig but it isn't worth it with stock cards, and they're not even out just yet.

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #9716 on: May 26, 2016, 12:43:37 PM »

Saw some Let's Play videos from quill18 on YouTube about it, looks really interesting (in one play he started with his 3 survivors all having the Cannibal trait). Pity you can't just get it through Steam (even though it's Alpha).

I was looking first at Sid Meier's Pirates and then saw the video of RimWorld. Saw a few hours of it and bought Rimworld worth it so far, but now thinking about it I should had bought Sid Meier's Pirates since it looks really nice and cheaper. :D
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #9717 on: May 26, 2016, 03:37:30 PM »
Well, you couldn't have gotten Rimworld any cheaper, but Pirates will probably be in the next upcoming Steam sale, so you could console yourself with that thought?

PhillyT

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #9718 on: May 26, 2016, 03:43:32 PM »
Totally :D

I almost bought Offword Trading Company, anyone got it? Seems like I made the right choice here.
Trading Orcs for Empire

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9719 on: May 30, 2016, 05:03:31 AM »
How long does it take for Warhammet TW to do the initial load? feels like ive been waiting forever.  :eusa_wall:
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #9720 on: May 30, 2016, 03:45:46 PM »
I've played Offworld Trading Company and really enjoyed it. It can get a bit slow in the later stages but it's a real fun economy game.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #9721 on: May 30, 2016, 05:29:19 PM »
I'm currently obsessed with Stardew Valley. It has that "just one more turn" sort of addictiveness.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #9722 on: May 30, 2016, 05:47:45 PM »
Just got fire emblem fates birth right.

Lost on the third mission.

Pass the machete.

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #9723 on: May 31, 2016, 05:59:55 AM »
So Total War: Warhammer is good.  Which is good.  It's not great, but what did we expect?

It has a lot of potential, what's there is fun but deep enough to keep you interested.  There's a lot of room on the edges of the map for expansions, which is just part of the parcel now with Creative Arts.  Get ready for 20 more DLC's over the next 2 years. 

There's easily room for Ulthuan and the eastern coasts of Lustria and Naggaroth as well as plenty of space down south towards Araby and space to the East past the mountains where the Chaos Dwarves dwell.

I notice that Athel Loren is suspiciously vacant of settlements at the moment so expect wood elves soon.

With mods, Radious Total War and Radious Total War Units as well as a few others, the game is quite good at the moment but it'll only get better.  If you want to wait for a more perfected game experience wait until it's on sale with a few more DLC's released.
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #9724 on: May 31, 2016, 08:21:29 AM »
Playing VTM: Bloodlines as a sex obsessed Torreador chick. I'm getting to the top by sleeping with people and it's really fun. :biggriin:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau