home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 812358 times)

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #9775 on: July 06, 2016, 12:35:40 PM »
Great choice. I love this game. Are you playing the enhanced edition?

I always had more than one dude fighting other guys. Maybe the space was restricting? Or it was some kinda bug?

1) You can buy a drone that repairs your hull, using the scrap that you have, but it is very expensive.

2) Very dangerous and pretty much pointless. Rebel ships in the "red zones" never leave any scrap, so you're going to risk your ship for nothing.

Yes, the enhanced addition, bought it for the Steam sale.

Could be that there was a work station in the way, do those actually restrict movement?

1) Will probably never bother with that then.

2) Thanks, I'll be avoiding those.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #9776 on: July 06, 2016, 12:55:43 PM »
Great choice. I love this game. Are you playing the enhanced edition?

I always had more than one dude fighting other guys. Maybe the space was restricting? Or it was some kinda bug?

1) You can buy a drone that repairs your hull, using the scrap that you have, but it is very expensive.

2) Very dangerous and pretty much pointless. Rebel ships in the "red zones" never leave any scrap, so you're going to risk your ship for nothing.

Yes, the enhanced addition, bought it for the Steam sale.

Could be that there was a work station in the way, do those actually restrict movement?

1) Will probably never bother with that then.

2) Thanks, I'll be avoiding those.

The thing is, I don't think that terrain restricts movement at all. Weird...

1) Always buy drones who can destroy missiles. Worth every cent.

2) Not worth it. The only rebel ships that you should destroy, are those in random encounters. Always destroy them. I think that if you'll let them go, then the rebels can track you faster.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #9777 on: July 06, 2016, 04:01:18 PM »
Rember that the biggest weapons are rarely the best. Two three shot lasers is way better than one five shot laser. Missiles are not super useful later when everyone has defense drones. Defense drones also protect you from boarding drones and disabling drones. Always target enemy weapons systems first. Breach bombs are amazing if you can get them.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #9778 on: July 06, 2016, 04:18:31 PM »
Just to chip in on the fighting. Each room only has so much space. I think the enemy counts as taking up space in some of the smaller rooms, and the work station can take up room as well. You were probably just fighting in a small room.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #9779 on: July 07, 2016, 08:18:05 AM »
Hahaha!! Started playing again last night and died 2 jumps from where I was! Began anew and died in 2 jumps from the start!!  :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: (got seriously boarded, my 3 guys didn't stand a chance)

Started again of course and I'm doing really well! I think I'm 1 or 2 sectors away from the last sector (is that immediately the boss battle or do you need to travel through the sector first?) and I haven't got any problems. Managed to get myself an additional burst laser in the beginning and then bought myself this super expensive Glaive beam that I knew I couldn't use for a while (needed upgrades). That thing is wicked. Burst laser to help take down shields and then it's slicing time (and even with shields I still do some nice multi-location damage).

Got my energy to the max, got 4 shields, got a defense drone Mk2, Cloaking 3, the upgrade that lets me shoot weapons through my own cloak, a hull repair upgrade, a 3 burst laser and that Glaive beam.

I'd actually like a 3rd weapon system but I'm a bit stumped on where to get the energy from. Not only do you need to power the weapon but also the weapons control room. Makes them hard to run.

In fact I've neglected most other upgrades (O2, doors, scanners, engine) because I can't really find the power to use them. How do you guys do that, just upgrade and leave them on low power until you need them and switch power around?

I'm feeling quite competent that I'll make it to the enemy flagship, any tips on taking that one on?

Always target enemy weapons systems first.

Doesn't that depend on your own weapons and shields? I personally find that targeting shields with my burst laser for maximum pain of my beam weapon seems optimal. But at the beginning I'd suppose it makes good sense, especially with your missile that ignores those shields.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #9780 on: July 07, 2016, 10:41:58 AM »
Just wait til you get to the final boss. That fight is no joke, and even after figuring out the best method to do it, I still only have a 1/3 win rate. The enemy flagship has ruined more "perfect runs" than any other disaster.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9781 on: July 07, 2016, 12:14:54 PM »
So MattPatt of the "Game Theory" youtube channel gifted a copy of Undertale to the Pope
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #9782 on: July 07, 2016, 03:57:09 PM »
Think the pope has a steam account?

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #9783 on: July 08, 2016, 07:26:54 AM »
Got to the final sector and got wrecked before I even made it to the flagship!

My own fault really, I had just acquired a teleporter and I decided to test that one out by beaming 2 of my dudes to their ship. When the fight went against them I tried to beam them back but it didn't happen, can they not be beamed out of combat?

I was then counter-boarded, lost more men, systems started failing, fire broke out. Well, I guess other FTL players know exactly how that went.  :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

PhillyT

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #9784 on: July 08, 2016, 04:37:47 PM »
No you should be able to beam them out, I do it all the time. Did it accidently get unpowered or something? You cant beam through the zoltan special shield.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #9785 on: July 08, 2016, 06:47:25 PM »
Oh bugger, I might have had my own cloak activated, would that block it?

PhillyT

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #9786 on: July 08, 2016, 06:54:20 PM »

Yup, that would do it.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #9787 on: July 08, 2016, 07:42:24 PM »
Think the pope has a steam account?

I would say he signed up to obtain...

...Mass Effect.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #9788 on: July 08, 2016, 08:19:28 PM »

Yup, that would do it.

I've definitely done that to myself before....

The flagsahip requires certain builds to beat. Or rather, you must have answers to certain questions it asks. I think you're the kinda gamer who would like to see it first hand a couple times before googling, though!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #9789 on: July 08, 2016, 10:24:30 PM »
I think you're the kinda gamer who would like to see it first hand a couple times before googling, though!

I have had to restrainmyself more than once from typing out a detailed strategy for handling the flagship fight.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9790 on: July 13, 2016, 06:20:06 PM »
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #9791 on: July 13, 2016, 06:58:22 PM »
Pokemon Go
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #9792 on: July 14, 2016, 07:45:41 AM »
Pokemon Go

That was all you could type in between your Pokemon hunting?

PhillyT

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #9793 on: July 14, 2016, 08:36:23 AM »
TW: Warhammer gets Beastmen! Now we're talking. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds1ZsQAISeM
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #9794 on: July 14, 2016, 09:14:32 AM »
Pokemon Go

Just polling reactions :P
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9795 on: July 14, 2016, 11:58:59 AM »

Think they'll be campaign playable or skirmish only like the brets?
― Jake the Dog

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #9796 on: July 14, 2016, 01:59:41 PM »

Think they'll be campaign playable or skirmish only like the brets?

This is supposed to be a "big" kind of DLC, so I'm guessing a campaign might be in order. Also there'll be Malador and Khazrak in it.

Gneisenau

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #9797 on: July 14, 2016, 04:18:14 PM »
It's £12 with 10% discount.

Fuck that after what, 3 months release?
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #9798 on: July 14, 2016, 07:35:01 PM »
Pokemon Go

Just polling reactions :P

Can't react. Too busy farming this gym.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #9799 on: July 25, 2016, 05:40:32 PM »
Anyone still playing Stellaris? What do you think after two decent sized patches?

The always open borders has really changed my play style in it now. I use to try and rush colonizing to try and block AI in but that doesn't work anymore. Although changing the planet limit to system limit has been really nice.