home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296151 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Big April)
« Reply #900 on: April 11, 2017, 05:17:37 PM »
is the unassembled resin in the bag a forge world bone grinder?

Nope. That's my recently aquired Otherworld Giant.  :biggriin:

http://otherworldminiatures.co.uk/shop/giants/bs5-the-otherworld-giant/

Long ago I won the older version of the Forge World giant. But that was before the giant collecting bug bit me, and I thought it was too ridiculously large, so I sold it off. Stupid mistake.

Old Grenadier had some, and at least Mirliton still sells them:
http://www.mirliton.it/index.php?cName=fantasy-2528mm-half-orc

These are better sculpts than some others in the Grenadier Fantasy Warrior line. They might still be a bit small, more in the 25mm or 28mm 'real scale' line. I can do a comparison photo, if you think you're interested.

I like the sculpts, but I've been looking elsewhere mostly because of the cost compared to most of the other options. I also wish there was a little more variety. (Though that seems to be a problem with every range I look at. I will probably end up mixing a lot of brands.)

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #901 on: April 11, 2017, 10:34:58 PM »
It is large, I hade to adjust a shelf for it to fit in my display.  I think I might try the otherworld sculpt also, does it appear to be well cast, like in few bubbles and little warpage?  steveb

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #902 on: April 12, 2017, 04:18:58 AM »

Yeah... big mistake getting rid of that giant. I do like the current version. Maybe that will be next on my list now that I've got all of my "priority" big guys.

The Otherworld giant is pretty clean. Some mold lines & spots to clean up where the resin was poured. But no bubbles or major problems. Nice solid cast, and no clean-up out of the ordinary. Honestly, I haven't had any major problems with any of the big resin giants -- Otherworld, Ultraforge, Warploque, or what I can recall from that FW giant.

So...

Almost done with that Tom Meier Cloud Giant...

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #903 on: April 12, 2017, 06:56:01 AM »
Are there any giant models out there that look like:
1 - a decent cyclops
2 - a bit like the titan from Heroes 3?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #904 on: April 12, 2017, 02:41:53 PM »

Old Grenadier had some, and at least Mirliton still sells them:
http://www.mirliton.it/index.php?cName=fantasy-2528mm-half-orc

These are better sculpts than some others in the Grenadier Fantasy Warrior line. They might still be a bit small, more in the 25mm or 28mm 'real scale' line. I can do a comparison photo, if you think you're interested.

I like the sculpts, but I've been looking elsewhere mostly because of the cost compared to most of the other options. I also wish there was a little more variety. (Though that seems to be a problem with every range I look at. I will probably end up mixing a lot of brands.)

Looks like a company called Forlorn Hope sells these. Dunno if it changes anything, but for completeness' sake:
https://www.forlornhopegames.com/collections/half-orcs

They have the whole ex Grenadier catalogue. I'm confused as of who has the molds & the rights to produce what, and where. But purely as a customer, these seem to be cheaper than Mirliton, even if bought individually. Dunno about the postage.

-Z
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:47:34 PM by Zygmund »
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #905 on: April 12, 2017, 04:19:04 PM »
I've bought some early Copplestone stuff recently from Gary at Forlorn Hope - really nice helpful guy.

I think sculptors or owners will sell old moulds off. Forlorn have old Copplestone halflings - North Star run the current Copplestone sales and have new halflings.  :engel:
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #906 on: April 13, 2017, 02:26:31 AM »
Are there any giant models out there that look like:
1 - a decent cyclops
2 - a bit like the titan from Heroes 3?

The only cyclopsesesesses I can think of are...

http://mierce-miniatures.com/index.php?act=pro&pre=mrm_dkl_abn_ftu_mbs_501_000
http://mierce-miniatures.com/index.php?act=pro&pre=mrm_dkl_abn_ftu_mbs_601_000
http://mierce-miniatures.com/index.php?act=pro&pre=mrm_dkl_abn_ftu_mbs_650_000

Or the cheap toy option (which I've been meaning to get)

https://www.safariltd.com/mythical-realms-cyclops-figurines-801829

I have no idea what no. 2 is referencing.

I forgot about Forlorn Hope. Prices & shipping look reasonable. I do like a lot of the Grenadier Fantasy Warriors stuff. Unfortunately, it looks like they are out of stock on the hand weapon half orcs, which is what I'm after. I may need to send an email and inquire...

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #907 on: April 14, 2017, 02:56:17 AM »
The cheap option looks pretty good actually. If you get one, let me know...
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #908 on: April 15, 2017, 04:04:07 AM »
They carry that line of toys at both of the regional craft store chains around here, and every time I am in/near one I look. For some reason they all have every other figure from that company -- fantasy or otherwise -- except the f'ing cyclops. We recently started an Amazon Prim subscription so maybe I should just order one now...

https://www.amazon.com/Safari-Ltd-Mythical-Realms-Construction/dp/B005EGBYNW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492228428&sr=8-1&keywords=safari+ltd.+cyclops

Or, y'know, because eBay hasn't cornered the market on stupid, I could order one at five times the price...

https://www.amazon.com/Safari-Ltd-Mythical-Realms-Construction/dp/B01LVVD6JJ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1492228521&sr=8-2&keywords=safari+ltd.+cyclops

:icon_rolleyes:

A friend got one and painted it up and it looked pretty good. I remember seeing one on someone's blog, too.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #909 on: April 16, 2017, 12:08:26 PM »
Compared to dedicated wargames / RPG models they are basically giving those away, got to be worth a try!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #910 on: April 17, 2017, 02:21:31 AM »

Heh, only if it's the one at regular retail price.  :wink:

Finished the oldschool Meier cloud giant.

Making progress on the last metal produced Citadel giant, and the old C28 Citadel giant I have. They should be done by the end of my April challenge. As for the Warploque giant (not pictured)... it may not be April, but I plan on finishing him, even if it's not done til May.

When I first got into miniature gaming in my youth (Battlesystem, Chaos Wars...) it was difficult for my friends and I to find figures. Some of my first minis were from the Grenadier "Halfling Party" set that two of us split. In fact, I still have some of them. But today, a full box of nostalgia arrived in the mail!

Off to Easter festivities with the family. Watch out for those eggs...

And because the forum hasn't been letting me post replies for the past day, I have a second update:

Snuck in some time to hide in the basement today (Easter) like a sneaky troll and finish up the old Citadel C28 giant. He was missing a weapon, so I sculpted him a new club. I was originally going to be satisfied with just one of these multi-piece giant, but I think I would like to get all three bodies.

Offline cjp

• Members
« Reply #911 on: April 17, 2017, 02:55:19 AM »
some nice looking giants.   :dry:

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #912 on: April 17, 2017, 10:07:47 PM »
Looking good, nice work on the tartan. Your BIG collection is definitely moving painting Giants up my to do list!

(It's a long list though, as you know!)

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #913 on: April 18, 2017, 04:12:04 AM »
The Fimm look awesome, its nice to see them in their full glory, saw a battlemasters Fimir yesterday and thought of you  :biggriin:
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #914 on: April 18, 2017, 12:39:43 PM »
I had that box of halflings when I was younger.  Might still be hiding in my parents attic!

We had much fun with those figures. :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #915 on: April 19, 2017, 04:10:04 AM »
Thank you, all!

Looking good, nice work on the tartan. Your BIG collection is definitely moving painting Giants up my to do list!

(It's a long list though, as you know!)

The tartan was honestly a bit rushed. I've done better on smaller figures. But I'm still OK with how it turned out.

I think you've got another big (and scaly) collection that would probably be quite a sight to see painted!  :wink:

The Fimm look awesome, its nice to see them in their full glory, saw a battlemasters Fimir yesterday and thought of you  :biggriin:

Thanks. I don't actually have one of those! I even passed up the chance to get a bunch of them. I'm rethinking my decision now. I should at least have one, for completeness.  :icon_redface:

I had that box of halflings when I was younger.  Might still be hiding in my parents attic!

:::cheers:::

We were playing AD&D and I picked up Battlesystem to play some big games. They were played on a friend's vinyl tiled basement floor. All the terrain was drawn out with masking tape like a topographical map and a few model train trees. We used the cardboard chits that came with the game, as well as the TWO lead figures. I really fell in love with the lead. I painted up those two figures (a knight and an orc) with my dad's Testors enamel paints, and we hunted down more: the box of halflings, a couple of Grenadier ogres, two generic super-heroes, and the Grenadier "Dragon of the Month" red dragon (or red dragon II?) and some Dark Horse miniatures were some of the first I remember. They were all the local comic book shop had. We cleaned them out & started seeking out more from wherever we could find them. Discovered gaming conventions -- mostly for RPGs -- but ended up playing in a big Chaos Wars game. Thus discovered Ral Partha, played Chaos Wars for a while. In the course of the Quest for Lead a couple of friends and I took a trip to a semi-distant (for a couple of young teens at the time) mall train & model shop where they had some boxed Citadel Regiments of Renown. Half of them were either on clearance or mis-priced. One guy got Skarlock's archers, another got the Skeleton Horde, and me -- flush with the profits of newspaper delivery -- I picked up everything else: Harboths & Ruglud's orcs, Imrick's & Bugman's dwarfs, and the Nightmare legion. One of the other guys (I think Skarlock) also spotted a bigass (compared to the other games) rulebook: Warhammer Fantasy Battles (3rd ed.) and bought it as well. Thus... we were hooked.

At least that's the hasty version. We played some other games, like Battletech & Car Wars, a well. And somewhere in there, I had started picking up White Dwarf alongside Dragon magazine too...

Damn, that's all like a century ago.  :icon_lol:

At any rate... fun times, and I still have most -- but not all -- of those original halflings. Some were mine, some were given to me by the friend I originally split the pack with. Just a year or two ago I stripped most of them with the intention of repainting. But it was always nagging at me that I was missing a couple of them. So it's good to have the full set again. I'm debating selling/trading off the duplicates, though.

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #916 on: April 19, 2017, 04:57:30 AM »
gaaggh! your memories made me think about when I started gaming in 1960, I bought Avalon Hill's boxed Gettysburg game and my neighbor and I converted it to play using little flat gray and blue plastic figures that we ordered from an add on the back of a comic book.  the infantry, artillery and cav were not in scale with each other but we were in hog heaven.  The first figure I ever truly painted was a Mexican soldier from the Davy Crockett Alamo set that came out (tyco?) at the same time that Disney released the movie.  My father's best friend was painting (using oil paints) set for his two sons as part of their Christmas gift and I bugged him with questions until he sat me down gave me a brush started me painting. that had to be in the mid fifties.  Boy time sure does fly.    steveb

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #917 on: April 19, 2017, 10:14:13 PM »
Always love a bit of reminiscing! :) Steve, you truly are a treasure: "when I started gaming in 1960" indeed, a mere 21 years before I discovered D&D and Citadel miniatures! :D

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #918 on: April 19, 2017, 11:27:13 PM »
Liking your giant collect 023. Shame about Safari cyclops, nearly £16.00 in UK. I had those Hobbits, but mine came in a yellow box lid. Just to think I gave away all my D&D figures about 30 years ago.

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #919 on: April 21, 2017, 01:52:47 AM »
Thank you, all!

Thanks. I don't actually have one of those! I even passed up the chance to get a bunch of them. I'm rethinking my decision now. I should at least have one, for completeness.  :icon_redface:

I figure for sure you'd want the complete collection  :lol: I wanted one myself
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #920 on: April 21, 2017, 04:39:01 AM »
 :biggriin: This is still my favorite forum. I love the mix of new, middle, and old gamers we have here.  :::cheers:::

Just to think I gave away all my D&D figures about 30 years ago.

::heretic:: ::heretic:: ::heretic::

(I did the same for a lot of stuff. Picking up a few old nostalgic minis here & there lately, like the hobbits, and even some of the oldschool AD&D books, too!)

Painted up the last of the metal Citadel giants, before they switched to plastic/resin/whatever.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:55:33 PM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #921 on: April 21, 2017, 12:22:14 PM »
This guy breaks my heart. (Not in a bad way but I'll tell you later) looks mean and angry!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #922 on: April 21, 2017, 12:36:15 PM »

:::cheers:::

We were playing AD&D and I picked up Battlesystem to play some big games. They were played on a friend's vinyl tiled basement floor. All the terrain was drawn out with masking tape like a topographical map and a few model train trees. We used the cardboard chits that came with the game, as well as the TWO lead figures. I really fell in love with the lead. I painted up those two figures (a knight and an orc) with my dad's Testors enamel paints, and we hunted down more: the box of halflings, a couple of Grenadier ogres, two generic super-heroes, and the Grenadier "Dragon of the Month" red dragon (or red dragon II?) and some Dark Horse miniatures were some of the first I remember. They were all the local comic book shop had. We cleaned them out & started seeking out more from wherever we could find them. Discovered gaming conventions -- mostly for RPGs -- but ended up playing in a big Chaos Wars game. Thus discovered Ral Partha, played Chaos Wars for a while. In the course of the Quest for Lead a couple of friends and I took a trip to a semi-distant (for a couple of young teens at the time) mall train & model shop where they had some boxed Citadel Regiments of Renown. Half of them were either on clearance or mis-priced. One guy got Skarlock's archers, another got the Skeleton Horde, and me -- flush with the profits of newspaper delivery -- I picked up everything else: Harboths & Ruglud's orcs, Imrick's & Bugman's dwarfs, and the Nightmare legion. One of the other guys (I think Skarlock) also spotted a bigass (compared to the other games) rulebook: Warhammer Fantasy Battles (3rd ed.) and bought it as well. Thus... we were hooked.

At least that's the hasty version. We played some other games, like Battletech & Car Wars, a well. And somewhere in there, I had started picking up White Dwarf alongside Dragon magazine too...

Damn, that's all like a century ago.  :icon_lol:

At any rate... fun times, and I still have most -- but not all -- of those original halflings. Some were mine, some were given to me by the friend I originally split the pack with. Just a year or two ago I stripped most of them with the intention of repainting. But it was always nagging at me that I was missing a couple of them. So it's good to have the full set again. I'm debating selling/trading off the duplicates, though.
My earliest gaming was chess, followed by board wargames from Avalon Hill and SPI, some 54mm AWI, Alamo, ACW, and WW2 figures, and then some Airfix Napoleonics.  In junior high I started with some basic D&D roleplaying followed by AD&D, slowly acquiring some 25mm figures from Grenadier and Ral Partha.  My painting started in 4th grade with the 54mm AWI doing a replica of the Concord North Bridge fight for a school project.  I used Testors and railroad hobby paints, and eventually some Citadel metals, too.  For the roleplaying we used graph paper for maps, GM having one, players slowly having it revealed to them on a different sheet.  In college there were various new games and systems experienced, but I then gave them up my last two years for focus on other things.  There are plenty of memories from those good ole days, much fun in playing and story creation, too.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #923 on: April 21, 2017, 12:55:27 PM »
@GP - chess and then war games- same here. Avalon Hill Bliztkrieg with the pink and blue chits and AH submarine. Believe it or not, I just got rid of them last year except for the submarine board which I keep for Pirates. SPI games by the bucketload and of course a subscription. Learned more about military history in that period than anywhere else. You can still get 3 different versions of strategy and tactics still.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline carturello

• Members
  • Tilean soldier, at your service.
« Reply #924 on: April 21, 2017, 09:14:24 PM »
Your pieces are very special and you have painted them really well!