home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296212 times)

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (back to Marienburg!)
« Reply #650 on: May 21, 2016, 04:05:13 PM »
The halberdiers look great. I look forward to seeing the rural militia  they should provide some neat painting and modeling opportunities
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #651 on: May 22, 2016, 04:38:39 AM »
The halberdiers look great. I look forward to seeing the rural militia  they should provide some neat painting and modeling opportunities

Mostly it's an excuse to use Wars of the Roses era figures I already have -- metal figures from Front Rank & Grenadier, and a few boxes of the Perry plastic figures.

So I lied a little.... just one more Fomorian/Fimir before really working on a lot of Marienburgers. (In truth, I have just cleaned, prepped & primed a pile of halberdiers -- just no real paint work on them yet.)

This is "Morrighu - Fomorian Witch" from Krakon games. Second pic next to a couple of my conversions for scale comparison.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Those fit really well together, you'd never know they weren't from the same range. :eusa_clap:

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #653 on: May 22, 2016, 10:59:46 AM »
Very nice testing figures!
For the poses i have to say that the first one on the left is good to go while the other one has still a "pike" position. But he's OK :icon_wink:
I don't know which 'left' and 'right' you mean but the guy with the leveled weapon is a pike posture, and the one at 45 degrees less so. I've done a bit of pike drill in time. There 45 degrees posture is better for a halberdier I think.

Oh, lovely paint jobs BTW.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Doc J

• Members
I like the Fimir Witch, she really looks like she belongs, how many Fimir / Fomorians do you have now? I think you built 5. How do they look together and can you get us a diorama shot of all of the Fimir on some swamp terrain?

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
I am still waiting to buy some of those fimir heads off you............but nice work on the fimm witch  :happy:
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
New blog post explaining why I've been quiet lately, and what's going on:
http://www.zerotwentythree.com/…/06/all-quiet-on-the_80.html

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (...dry spell...)
« Reply #657 on: June 23, 2016, 04:25:37 AM »
For those that didn't read the blog link, the TL;DR version is that our living situation got shitty. The upside is that we're moving into a single home, but I may not have much space for hobby/gaming/art stuff.

But I'm going to think happy thoughts and try to make as much of it work as possible.

Otherwise, in complete randomness, I need to make this mug design happen (which should be easy, these days.)

I should also order this shirt...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #658 on: June 23, 2016, 10:35:24 AM »
Read the log post.  Sometimes life gets complicated, and its a bummer.  I'd share more, but this is your thread.

I like the coffee mug! :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #659 on: June 23, 2016, 05:10:49 PM »
Sorry to hear the craziness. Hopefully it'll all work out for the best. I know ALOT about both the house/apartment hunting and tenant stuff, so I feel ya.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #660 on: June 23, 2016, 08:11:29 PM »
Very glad (and a little guilty) that I manage to shirk real responsibility and keep my life quite simple

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #661 on: June 26, 2016, 03:19:05 AM »
Very glad (and a little guilty) that I manage to shirk real responsibility and keep my life quite simple

I thought we kept it pretty simple, too. But it's all been pretty much out of our control.

The good news is that I pick up keys to a new, single family home on Monday. Not the perfect place (ie, no dedicated game room :wink: ) but I think it will be a good move once we're settled.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #662 on: June 26, 2016, 10:42:40 AM »
Well, that's excellent news!  :eusa_clap:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #663 on: July 07, 2016, 04:08:12 AM »
Really fighting the blues as I pack up the the attic. No room at the new house, so everything is going into indefinite damp-basement storage, being trashed, or possibly sold.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #664 on: July 07, 2016, 06:42:36 AM »
This would bum me out as well.  Ya get a good place to do hobby stuff and poof.  It is amazing how much our hobbies can become sources of enjoyment and richness in life.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #665 on: July 20, 2016, 05:16:47 AM »
The Eagle has landed...

Most of the pieces parts have made it to the new house. Now to put it all together.

I'm still hoping to work out a painting desk. Optimistically thougb, it's probably a few weeks before I have spacetime for any potential painting/hobby stuff.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #666 on: July 20, 2016, 09:01:38 PM »
Congrats for a nice looking new home!

You Americans are spoiled with hobby space. I'm just drooling when I see the various attics and man-caves gamers from the States present in their blogs and videos. Our small Nordic houses usually lack it (there was a study on the matter: our flats are smaller), so we're accustomed to build & paint where we can, and always tidy up when done, to free space for other aspects of life.

It's doable, it's enjoyable. You will eventually manage the downgrade of hobby space. It could give you more reason to visit your local stores/clubs, which should be positive, shouldn't it.

Hope this is encouraging.  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #667 on: July 21, 2016, 02:48:36 AM »
I do the same. I have a fold up table I use for hobby. I used to have a desk, but no space nowdays. My sons toys take up that space now.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #668 on: July 21, 2016, 04:39:32 AM »
You Americans are spoiled with hobby space. I'm just drooling when I see the various attics and man-caves gamers from the States present in their blogs and videos. Our small Nordic houses usually lack it (there was a study on the matter: our flats are smaller), so we're accustomed to build & paint where we can, and always tidy up when done, to free space for other aspects of life.

I never really took the old attic for granted. For all it's faults, I felt fortunate to have had it. In fact, most of the places I've lived since college have been great old (American) midwest homes & apartments, with large rooms, high ceilings, etc. So maybe I've been spoiled.

Part of what's different for me now is having to find a house in a city with a good school system. I don't know how it works in other part of the world, but here a large part of school funding is usually based on local property taxes, and levies voted on by the residents of the district. Districts are usually only a single city, or maybe two or three adjacent cities working together. This presents a number of problems and drastic inequalities between school districts. For example, the city in which I grew up was a post WWII suburb, mostly built & populated after the war. Most of the citizens were elderly, most of the schools in the district (three cities) had closed down & consolidated, and school funding levies were generally voted down, while tax levies for turning schools into senior citizen's centers, or other programs for old people generally passed and got all the funding. More generally, what we found as we were looking was that we could find plenty of great houses in districts with poor schools (which is how I've lived the past 15 years, prior to being a parent) or we could find a small and/or run down house in a good district. The house we found is far from ideal, but we're doing to for the schools. We lucked out in getting a tiny old house on an old street in a city where a lot of people with far more money than us are buying up the land, tearing down the old houses, and building tacky McMansions.

At any rate, we've got a strange, small house. I do plan on working out some sort of more humble painting space, but haven't figured out how to do it yet.

It's doable, it's enjoyable. You will eventually manage the downgrade of hobby space. It could give you more reason to visit your local stores/clubs, which should be positive, shouldn't it.

The primary problem is that I don't usually have any free time until long after stores close. The secondary problem is that I have very different taste in gaming from most of the people I've met at stores. (More competitive/tournament. I did that for quite a while, but got burned out.)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #669 on: July 21, 2016, 08:24:06 AM »
Yeah, I gather the school aspect is the root of your move. And a very important and good decision for your family. Just wanted to comment the hobby aspect, after seeing the big picture of your former attic.

Regarding the different quality of schools, we're seeing something similar in Finland, even if our country tends to be the miracle model for schooling systems. Schools are funded by the state & the district together, and all schools adhere to minimum standards regarding rooms, teacher skills, learning curriculum, food, pupils per teacher, etc. etc. Still, there are better and worse schools, and families are moving in order to find a good school for their children. And almost invariably, the good schools are in districts with well-off families.

But I think it's still about social stratification rather than financial stratification. The funding is about the same, but the background & interests of the pupils & their parents weigh a lot in the atmosphere of the school. If neither the pupils nor the parents are interested, problems do arise. Eventually, they lead to boredom, fights, and bad learning results. It feels bad, it looks bad in comparison. And then the well-off and interested leave, resulting in even worse situation. Been a teacher in several schools, seen that myself. Maybe we're lacking responsibility, really. To actively influence the schools of our children as parents?

Well, so much about my country.

Wish you good times in your new home & district!  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline DerBaron

• Members
« Reply #670 on: July 22, 2016, 05:12:55 AM »
At any rate, we've got a strange, small house. I do plan on working out some sort of more humble painting space, but haven't figured out how to do it yet.

The primary problem is that I don't usually have any free time until long after stores close. The secondary problem is that I have very different taste in gaming from most of the people I've met at stores. (More competitive/tournament. I did that for quite a while, but got burned out.)

I'm facing the same problem as my daughter is about to be born (could be today, could be tomorrow) and I need to clear my hobby/computer room for her (well, eventually anyways). The best I've come up with is a movable "hobbytray" you can store as is on a shelf. Space is limited, but I'm hoping that it'll focus my attention to one project (probably just one mini due to space) at a time. Don't know if that's a bad thing though..

I don't see an answer in the stores and clubs either, as they tend to be competitive, or at least they have a different approach to gaming, which is the reason you're not already there. At least in my case.

Change can be difficult, but the joy of the hobby will remain the same, even of you have to find a new approach to it. Best of luck in your endeavors to find your zen, where ever it may be..
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 09:21:43 AM by Midaski »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #671 on: July 25, 2016, 10:38:10 PM »
Yes, I'm continuing to try to find was to work things out.

In somewhat better news, just before I moved I scored an amazing deal on a figure I've wanted for a while, but has always been out of my price range. Even better is that it is really well painted. In fact, the paint job alone is worth twice what I paid. In fact, I'm pretty sure the figure retailed for around twice what I paid, so this was a super bargain.

Photo doesn't do it justice. I don't have a painting & photo desk set up yet, so this was the best I could do. At least I knew where to find my reliable old reference figure, for scale!

After I uploaded the pic to photobucket, I noticed a similarity to another recent pic...

:laugh: Uncanny!

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #672 on: July 25, 2016, 10:54:03 PM »
That really is a nice giant, good score

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #673 on: July 26, 2016, 12:16:04 AM »
That giant is awesome and remarkably familiar...

The second picture beside it is clearly just the same model with a shirt on. Can't fool me.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #674 on: July 26, 2016, 12:17:01 AM »
Re: picture of you and the giant - absolutely awesome!
Get that made into a poster lol! That made my day  :icon_mrgreen:
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.