home

Author Topic: Memory Lane and non Empire painting. 28mm ECW  (Read 5354 times)

Offline scrubber

• Members
Memory Lane and non Empire painting. 28mm ECW
« on: April 21, 2017, 04:25:09 PM »
Clearing some more stuff from my mothers old house. In what was my old room, found some of my old goodies. ECW Minifigs from late 70's early 80's. All poorly painted. I thought they were the bees knees back then. A SYW French army still in the box and plastic bags they came in. Must have put them away and never touched again. Best of all 1964 Marx Toys black Dalek in box, with the packing tissue and it still works.

Now they are all safe back here, started to think. I've loads of old ECW that's not been used for over 30 years. This was my very first army for big boys metal figure gaming. So have very fond liking for them. However they are sat in boxes doing nothing, and although I still cannot part with the English regiments yet, I've decided to make some pennies back by selling on the Scots.

But to keep a memory I going to record the pictures here, so next year when I want them, I can look here and wish if only!

21 Covenant horse, not sure who's regiment, but these were repainted late 90's for campaign that never happened.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 10:03:31 PM by scrubber »

Offline scrubber

• Members
Re: Memory Lane and non Empire painting.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 05:10:49 PM »
One Dalek. Just noticed it's got the price written on the box. 17s/11d. That's less than a pound to you youngsters. [90p].
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 06:32:41 PM by Midaski »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 01:06:21 AM »
Exterminate! Exterminate!
How I loved davros and the daleks.

I still have a regiment of lead Coldstream guards from the early 60's and 3 sets of Hornby wind up trains and the track. All in working order and original boxes. We played the crap out of them. It's a wonder they survived. They were loaded with airfix 1/32 scale soldiers of course. Bought most of the airfix in a little hobby shop in South End on Sea when I visited with a friend and stayed at his grandparents. Every day we would go down and buy a new box of troops. Still have em all too and even recycled them for my son.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 01:15:22 AM by Artobans Ghost »
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 03:29:13 PM »
I'm getting to an age where I've begun to consider who will get my figures when I pass away.  I still find it very hard to sell them though.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 12:56:08 AM »
Understood 👆
I don't think I can sell mine as the they are an attachment to a time in life that I truly enjoyed. Later with my warhammer, everything I bought was connected to my son. Havnt bought anything much in 4 years. Those times with my son are the other part of life that was truly enjoyable. Pretty much everything else is just existing. They won't mean anything except my son again so there all his to do with what he will.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 01:41:29 PM »
I'll never forget, trying to assemble my first few GW kits in a dank shed, smelling strongly of fertiliser, trying to paint knights and halberdiers with a tank brush and having to use water thin Humbrol oil paint. Seriously, you need ventilation when using humbrol oils, otherwise the walls start talking to you :biggriin:

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 06:42:50 AM »
Seriously, you need ventilation when using humbrol oils, otherwise the walls start talking to you :biggriin:

This thought crossed my mind - after using the Humbrol oils indoors for some six years ...  :roll:

I wonder how my parents let me...  :|

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 04:26:51 PM »
Help please. Does anyone know who this figure is. Is it even Games Workshop?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 04:30:44 PM »
No help here, but I like it!

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 06:36:32 PM »
Old Chaos Champion - I have one - easily usable as Norse or Viking

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 09:49:05 PM »
Thank you kind Sir. Off to spares box now for big spikey club. Thank you also to who ever restored my pictures. Tried to get mine back but to many adverts on the page with no way to disenable, would no let me work anything.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 10:45:44 PM »
My pleasure - and I did your pics  just added   ~original       after the jpg - have a look ?

It can be laborious in a thread with loads of pics, but if it is just a few I have been trying to copy and paste it in.

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 04:56:07 PM »
This one to one scale gaming needs thinking about.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 05:47:52 PM »
If those are 2'x2' squares below him, he's a very big giant for squashing armies on the table top.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 10:16:55 PM »
Maybe he sleighed all his enemies ..........................  :engel:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 01:35:44 AM »
I wouldn't want to rain deer on his parade.

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 07:10:37 PM »
It was suggested that I paint him Green, then he could be a festive Gork or Mork and stomp across the battlefield.

Now thanks to Mr GamesPoet I've got side tracked on painting again. Found the Union ACW all nicely painted in a box.

Based the Confederate's last night. The bag of unpainted figures was a mixture of infantry and Confederate command, so started on them this weekend also. Three empty bases, I have the figures for.

There is no Confederate artillery and limbers short on the Union side, however need to sell something so I can buy new. That's the new policy for next year.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:21:36 PM by scrubber »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: Memory Lane and non Empire painting. 15mm ACW
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2017, 10:03:52 PM »
GP has no idea the tangents he sends people on........or does he? 😼
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2017, 12:38:50 AM »
If someone is inspired by my meanderings, more power to them. :icon_cool:

Congrats on getting those Confeds based, you'll be playing ACW games before long! :::cheers:::

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2017, 05:35:44 PM »
Question. In my Old Glory confederate infantry command, there are 3 foot figures blowing a bugle. Though infantry only used drums.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2017, 01:58:55 AM »
There were buglers in all branches of the military during the ACW, cavalry, artillery, and infantry.  They were used to signal things like drills, roll calls, inspections, marches, halts, rests, strike tents, form lines, etc., all being communications from generals to the troops.  There were also two dozen bugle calls for commands to skirmishers out in front of the main lines of the army.  Many of the buglers, although not all, weren't officially eligible to be a soldier, many being teenagers, and there are records of some, even known by name, that were as young as 11 or 12, and they had to know all the calls, just like the adult buglers.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2017, 03:04:06 PM »
Many years ago, in high school, I had to study the Civil War for the modern history module. All these years later, i'm still learning new stuff about it.

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 10:58:58 PM »
Thanks GamesPoet, it's amazing what history you can learn on war-games forum's.
Only 14 more figures to paint from command bag, so now thinking of basing. Looking at pictures in F&F Gettysburg book it mainly shows Confederate units with just the main Battle flag. Is this correct.
Sorted out the main basing and I hope this is correct. For brigade level games basing is 1"x7/8" inch, with 4 figures per base, double rank. However in the regimental rule it's a smaller base with 3 figures single rank. Looking at various forums the solution seems to be leave you bases that you have at brigade leave and just make a few extra single ranked bases. That way you play both sets of rules. Regiments seem to fight in double rank so when taking casualties remove a brigade double base and replace with single rank bases.
Now having typed all that some-ones going to tell me I'm wrong. If please do quickly before I start basing.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2018, 01:34:07 AM »
The flag that is generally associated with the Confederates was actually the battle flag for the Army of Northern Virginia.  The national flag of the Csa was actually a circular set of stars on a blue field in the upper left corner with one white bar in between two red bars that covered the rest of the flag.  At a later date in the war, the ANV flag was put in the upper left corner and the rest was a white field, and at the very end of the war the national flag had a red vertical bar on the far right of  the flag.  But to answer the question ... Confederate regiments did fly regimental flags, some of them looked similar to the NVA flag, but others looked nothing like it.

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2018, 05:00:35 PM »
Update.
Finished off Confederate command, will give me 7 stands of officer drum and 2 standards. This leave extra from the pack of 8 drummers, 9 officers and a lone bugler. Project now on hold as Fire and fury seems to have changed from when I last played.
Now need to sell something on e-bay to pay for the Confederate artillery. Also have no 15mm scenery. Looking for some nice 15mm Confederate flags as well.

So whilst I find something to sell, I also need to finish off my Napoleonic 28mm Army. Have no Cavalry for them and only half gun battery.
Again need to sell before I can buy. I can afford to lose at least 1 Infantry regiment, so that's now on e-bay. Photo so I remember them.