home

Author Topic: Cities of Sigmar battletome announced  (Read 12391 times)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: Cities of Sigmar battletome announced
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 04:10:13 PM »

Since the beginning of Warhammer Age of Sigmar, we’ve heard stories of the free cities and the brave alliances of humans, duardin and aelves who guard them. We’ve followed epic stories as Sigmar’s kingdoms have expanded from Azyr, growing into places and cultures with their very own identities – places that you helped forge in the Season of War campaign and explored in Firestorm. Locations like Hammerhal, The Living City, Tempest’s Eye, the Greywater Fastness, Hallowheart, Anvilgard and The Phoenicium are now beloved parts of the setting, and at long last, they have a battletome of their own!

Cities of Sigmar takes sub-factions as diverse as the Scourge Privateers and the Ironweld Arsenal and forges them into a single force. No fewer than seven sets of allegiance abilities allow you to field mixed forces of duardin, humans and aelves, with a massive roster of units available. The possibilities for themed armies with this book are limitless – from fast-moving scout forces of Pistolliers backed up by Grundstok Gunhaulers from Tempest’s Eye to charging lances of Hammerhalian Demigryph Knights.

Get hyped.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 06:42:42 PM »
I thought I would never see the day that this would happen!

Though there is mention of several order units being shafted (will be available later in Warhammer Legends) to get this book together, but atleast we can now move forward

:::cheers:::
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 07:32:40 PM »
Get hyped.

After everything that happened in the last 5 years?  :icon_rolleyes:

But I will follow the development to see where they go with this. I admit, I am at least curious.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 03:48:23 PM »
Not gonna pay for that. But I'm interested to hear how they patch together a culture and style of equipment they first destroyed.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 09:59:57 PM »
I am looking forward to it, but with no new models revealed along side it, not even Endless Spells or scenery, and the mention of old units going, then it's possibly not the book we really want. 

it cover free cities armies, an expansion of the rules from Firestorm, so they're mixed species - Human, Duardin, Aelf, Sylvaneth, Stormcast etc.  It's not a new "Empire" book as we might expect. 

That said, it kind of appeals that each city they feature will have much more of a unique culture, much more so than Altdorf and Middenheim

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 08:34:19 AM »
Maybe, maybe not.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 10:10:10 AM »
...each city they feature will have much more of a unique culture, much more so than Altdorf and Middenheim

The obvious question is, why would humans of each city wear puff and slash? With aelfish, duardin and Stormcast influence, if not dominance, why would there be any emphasis on the Empire looks? Other than GW trying to sell their stash of old (2007, 2010, 2012) Empire plastics?

I mean if it's a new setting with hybrid cultures, it would be much more interesting to see figures that mirror that novelty and hybridity. Those figures could also sell better than the Empire/HRE/1500 looks, and could be more unique to the new setting, so that there isn't a dozen companies producing Landsknechts and competing with GW. There's a bit of the same regarding aelves and duardin.

The new setting would be that much more interesting if it looked new too.  :-)

-Z
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 12:05:38 PM by Zygmund »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 12:02:24 PM »
Renaissance.

Of course they could always shift into the Age of Enlightenment, and a wig plus tri-cornered hat look. That'd bring the end of bows and the emergence of muskets. :icon_wink:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 12:13:13 PM »
Didn't mean they should copy another European historical era. There are already several companies producing good quality historical European miniatures for all eras, so people could use those and GW would be facing competition.

What I mean is a cultural milieu and clothing style specific to the aforementioned cities in the AoS setting. Something that is plausible within the setting, and different from all the historical minis.

Start by picking a historical era/culture that is not well represented in plastic yet. Like quality late Byzantine, or Indian, or Chinese looks. Combine that with the unique aelven and duardin and stormcast influences. Or would that be too close to Warmachine and such?

-Z

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 01:07:54 PM »
Quote Zygmund:
I mean if it's a new setting with hybrid cultures, it would be much more interesting to see figures that mirror that novelty and hybridity. Those figures could also sell better than the Empire/HRE/1500 looks, and could be more unique to the new setting, so that there isn't a dozen companies producing Landsknechts and competing with GW. There's a bit of the same regarding aelves and duardin.

Agree completely. Leave the old world behind and forge the new. Unfortunately that means most of my army would be useless but that’s life.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 02:59:24 PM »
I'm happy with this development. I do wonder what will become of the Flagellants and War Priests though.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 03:15:24 PM »
My comment on the Age of Enlightenment was a joke, hence the winking smilie. :icon_cool:

Seriously ... its fantasy.  They'll come up with something, renaissance is wise with the start of gunpowder, and the idea of transitioning from the Olde World to that of W:AoS.  My suspicion is it has been lengthy to get to this point because they didn't know what they were going to do.  Besides, they're looking to sell minis, and it'll be interesting to see what direction they move.  I actually think some of the current figure sculpts being newly released have been less than desirable, in some cases almost as if they sculpted from a computer and the figures look less than inspired from possible biological proportions.  I'm fearful for what the new releases for humans might end up being as well.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 03:32:50 PM »
I think that most Freeguild in the AoS art looks like Empire soldiers for the same reason that most of the 40k Imperial Guard in the contemporary art looks like Cadian or Catachan. They are the models that GW want to advertise.

I just assumed that it's a military fashion from Azyr that the people in the other realms copy to appear respectable.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2019, 05:46:33 PM »
I'm hoping for Empire Renaissance look.  Although with the figures seeming to drift away from 28mm towards a 32mm(?), not sure they'll work with my other figures.  That and coupled with whatever the cost increase will be, GW might fail  in attracting my money.

Offline TheMerchantPrince

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 11:31:33 AM »
As I understand it humans in AoS, like imperial guard in 40k, don't have one consistent aesthetic - the predominant puff n' slash look is essentially the popular style of azyrites (AoS's equivalent of cadians). Having reconquered parts of the realms, cities with an azyrite founding will dress in a similar fashion - tribes that hid it out during the age of chaos are likely to look different unless fully integrated in a free city.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2019, 04:49:30 PM »
OK I've been waiting for this. I do like the new Mordhiem game set in a chaos world ( I'm not up to speed with names as I hate AOS) however, I'm going to give it a shot but want to see what they do with the human worlds first.   
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2019, 01:23:19 PM »
In checking the GW site, I didn't see the cannon for sale anymore. :icon_eek:

Maybe there will be a new model or else no more cannons in Free People armies.  :icon_question:

In the meantime, time for me to go hunting for some cannons in local hobby stores before they are all gone!

Offline TheMerchantPrince

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2019, 04:08:51 PM »
In checking the GW site, I didn't see the cannon for sale anymore. :icon_eek:

Maybe there will be a new model or else no more cannons in Free People armies.  :icon_question:

In the meantime, time for me to go hunting for some cannons in local hobby stores before they are all gone!

The greatcannon's, among other things, been discontinued for some time. The only cannon available to free peoples (via the ironweld arsenal ally faction) is the dwarf cannon.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2019, 04:21:31 PM »
well it does sound like the 4th edition Empire, with different factions living together under the Emperors protection … hmmm  :unsure:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gargolock

• Members
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2019, 11:41:55 AM »
Not sure if this has anything to do with cities of Sigmar and models being discontinued but the dwarf cannon and organ gun kit is no longer available on the Canadian webstore. I checked the UK store and they were still in stock. Here in Canada the dwarven artillery had the big “SOLD OUT ONLINE” sticker over the picture. Doesn’t even say temporarily out of stock, it’s the sticker they do for when things are permanently gone.

Does this mean that cities of Sigmar won’t have dwarven artillery?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2019, 03:44:52 PM »
Maybe.  Maybe just new models and figures?

Offline Il Condottiero

• Members
  • Crying Havoc since 1992!
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2019, 03:55:09 PM »
I'm not holding my breath for there to be any new miniatures, I think this book is perhaps meant to bring all Freeguild models some nice, nifty rules so to keep them up to date both in rules [and hopefully fluff-wise as well] with the more 'AoS proper' armies.

But hey, Games Workshop has bamboozled me a handful of times and whatnot, so I'll love to see where it gets us!
Seeee todo este ouro... for MEU!

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2019, 09:33:53 AM »
It's difficult to judge whether stuff has been removed from the webstore because it's being dropped, but often before a new battletome, stuff is temporarily removed for re-boxing

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2019, 03:00:25 PM »
any guesses what humans will belike?
Yes I'm dyslexic so what