home

Author Topic: I have a dark elf problem. Need some advice  (Read 1217 times)

Offline KTG17

• Members
I have a dark elf problem. Need some advice
« on: June 09, 2021, 12:46:54 AM »
Ok so I have been struggling with my Dark Elf army for awhile now and need some advice on its make-up. Using 6th Edition rules, 6th Edition Ravening Hordes.

I have:

Dark Elf Commander on Cold One (Metal - and another one I am customizing to be on foot as I do with all of my generals)
Army Battle Standard (Metal)
Sorcerer (Plastic)
Fleetmaster (Plastic)

Dark Elf Battalion Set which includes:

5 Cold One Knights (Plastic)
20 Corsairs (Plastic)
16 Warriors with repeating crossbows (Plastic)
12 Spearmen (Plastic)

Also have:

Repeating Bolt Thrower (Metal)
5 Dark Riders (Plastic)
10 Black Guard (Plastic)

Now I am playing small games (1000 point range), and this is already more than that, so I have extras I can swap out. The issue is I am stuck on the theme. Originally when I didn't know much about WFB I wasn't planning on doing many 20-man units but now see the error of my way, and are following what the Battalion sets offer as what I am building my armies around. For all my other armies this is easy, but for the Dark Elves I am struggling.

I am struggling because the set includes 20 Corsairs, and doesn't include enough parts to make 20 Spearmen. I feel based on the models that I have that this is a pretty standard straight up Dark Elf force, not necessarily a naval one, which Corsairs would be to me. I do have the Fleetmaster model, but I really only got him cause I thought he looked cool and was cheap. I prefer the guy on the Cold One.

So this would leave me to believe that to keep things uniform, I should go with a unit of 20 Spearmen, and maybe just split the Corsairs into one 10-man Repeating Crossbow unit, and another 10-man with the two hand weapons. I am not sure what all the army books allow you to do, but this is what Ravening Hordes allows.

This would give me a 20-man unit as the base to build my army around, and then some flavor around them.

I don't know much about the Dark Elves tho, and would a unit of Dark Elf Warriors with Repeating Crossbows be more likely to be seen before the corsairs? I love the Corsairs, but they just seem really out of place for the traditional looking army I feel like I am building.

So the reason I ask is because I will need to get the parts I need to fill in the Warriors with spears if needed.

Does this make any sense? As a huge Man O' War fan, I love the idea of a Fleetmaster leading an army on the hunt for slaves, but I also feel based on the majority of the units I have, that this is more of a standard army and so I prefer to keep it that way. I guess I am just unsure on how often Corsairs are running around with Dark Elf armies, and GW thought it was important enough to stick 20 of them in the Battalion set, and I would like to get the most out of that set if possible.

And if I did go with a 20-man Corsair unit, I would settle on 10 Spearmen and 10 Crossbow men, with extras of each leftover.

:eusa_wall:

« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 12:49:50 AM by KTG17 »

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
Re: I have a dark elf problem. Need some advice
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 11:35:20 AM »
Pretty sure the army book doesn't give corsairs repeaters. I usually use them in units of 20 with two hand weapons, they're a decent shock force. Just grab a few more spearmen and you've got some options

Online Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 02:08:45 PM »
The 6th edition AB did not allow Corsairs to have RC, but, as KTG17 remarked, he is using the 6th BRB with Ravening Hordes.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 02:49:26 PM »
He mentioned that he wasn't sure what the book allowed, so i was answering that. Spearmen are pennies on the dollar for models too, which saves some cash if getting that.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 03:19:05 PM »
I believe I have an excess of 6th ed plastic Dark Elf spear and crossbow arms. Happy to send them your way if you need some.
Personally, if you need more bodies, I would convert some corsairs. 2 units of 10 feels a bit much to me.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 11:21:30 AM »
I have problems, but glad I don't have a Dark Elf one. :icon_wink:

:engel:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra