home

Author Topic: Distance warhammer...possible?  (Read 2652 times)

Offline Lord_Crom

• Members
Distance warhammer...possible?
« on: July 30, 2015, 09:57:23 PM »
I like playing both systems but not a lot of players round here. Has any tried playing a battle on the forum where you post turns. You could use tokens to represent your opponents forces. Just an idea.

Offline indie

• Members
Re: Distance warhammer...possible?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 10:01:02 PM »
I have heard of a game played over skype.

Basically one player had the table and both armies set up on their end, with the other player giving orders and rolling dice from their part of the world.

Worked out pretty well from what I heard although, I think one army was full of proxies.

Offline Lord_Crom

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 10:03:17 PM »
That's a good idea. Yeah proxies would be a must otherwise one poor soul would have a lot of building, buying and painting to do.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 10:07:13 PM »
It was done on this very forum! The tactica games - someone find the thread....
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 11:40:16 PM »
There is always universal battle as well...

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 05:19:29 AM »
I have been recently looking into this sort of "remote gaming" recently. I've got the figures, table, campaign outline, and technology. Still looking into a lot of other options, in terms of the specific way in which to handle things. "Real time" video vs. still photos and email, chat, or forum communication, physical dice va. online "virtual" dice, etc.

Well, that and finding a willing test subject

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Lord_Crom

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 08:05:37 AM »
Wow it does seem to take a lot of organising but equally seemed really cool. Something I think I would be interested in exploring at a later date.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 07:49:13 PM »
Carmaul, who has already done an excellent job as moderator, was last looking for participants for an ET game:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,50645.msg950714.html#msg950714
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 08:03:00 PM »
I'm working on a solution for digital tabletop fantasy battles.  My team and I are preparing a demo and presentation at the moment.  Stay tuned.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 04:32:05 AM »
Something like Universal Battle?

Does anyone have any experience with that, or any other miniatures-to-digital gaming? (DBA online, etc.?)

As interesting as those sound -- and I might be up for trying something like that -- I've been thinking of something decidedly more low tech. Like an actual table with figures, just that my opponent isn't in the same room with me.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2023, 12:49:05 AM »
This thread topic was been awhile back, although with Covid-19 behind us and the world moving full speed ahead, got to imagine there's a few more ways to do this than before.

And although I haven't used it for Warhammer, I did use Zoom a bunch of times for playing Lion Rampant ... with folks on this forum, friends, and family, especially during the pandemic times.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra