home

Author Topic: The Minotaurs: End Times?... or Good Times?!  (Read 499410 times)

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
The Minotaurs: End Times?... or Good Times?!
« on: February 17, 2008, 03:00:44 AM »
I hate to say it in this hallowed place... but I am also a beasts player.

Something has been bothering me.

What is going on with minotaurs? I mean, they haven't been updated in... is a decade over the top for an estimation?

And now I look on the US online store and all I can see is the standard bearer.

This saddens me as well, I like minotaurs (infact we were just playing a battle tonight and 4 of them wiped a unit of Glade Riders right out in one phase of combat without need for breaktests, yummy!) and I've got friends who also are starting down the bestial path who want them.

No one happens to know if, I don't know, maybe one day in the not too distant future they might actually update the models or something unthinkable do they?

*sniffle*

And to be honest the same is true of dragon ogres. I love the idea but those miniatures are just too cartoony for me, always have been, to the point where I won't buy them... the bottom starts ok but by the time you get to the weird torso pose and teh sticky out tongues... eesh.

Is it just me or does it seem crazy to anyone else that neither of these two regi's have got or look set to be updated?

I'll go paint some of my Hochlanders now to get the chaotic thoughts from my head  :engel:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 02:50:50 PM by Siberius »
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Minotaurs
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 06:54:53 AM »
I don't have any info to add but I just want to say that I'm a big Minotaur fan too. For a long time I've wanted to do a Greek Mythology inspired army, they would be counts-as ogres.
Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline Soju

• Members
  • personal text goes here
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 07:27:31 AM »
True... it is odd, what other minis have they not updated?

Minotaurs
Dragon Ogres
Stegadon

Hmmm what else?

sj

Offline The Student

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 11:28:42 AM »
Stone trolls and river trolls have not been updated. They had a plastic troll in the Battle for Skull Pass but as far as I know nothing came of it. Have I don't think flesh hounds or hounds of chaos been updated.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 11:34:15 AM »
Siberius I am with you, they need to update the minotaur models and I get the feeling we may see a plastic box coming soon.  I thin the reason they loath to update some of these models is because they are not big sellers, most people only need 4 of them in an entire army.  I have 14, and need another 16 or so, so plastics will be a boon for me.

The other issue is that they are still pretty decent for the most part.  They do suffer from very similar poses, but they still get the job done.  Likewise with Dragonogres (who don't see as much play but are still very popular).

Minotaurs are what started my 5000 points worth of beastmen.  In 5th (1998 or 1999) I saw the picture of the Minotaur lord and new that they were the army for me.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 12:03:58 PM »
Siberius I am with you, they need to update the minotaur models and I get the feeling we may see a plastic box coming soon.  I thin the reason they loath to update some of these models is because they are not big sellers, most people only need 4 of them in an entire army.  I have 14, and need another 16 or so, so plastics will be a boon for me.

The other issue is that they are still pretty decent for the most part.  They do suffer from very similar poses, but they still get the job done.  Likewise with Dragonogres (who don't see as much play but are still very popular).

Minotaurs are what started my 5000 points worth of beastmen.  In 5th (1998 or 1999) I saw the picture of the Minotaur lord and new that they were the army for me.

Phil

Doombull army!! :ph34r:

Not only have they not been updated for years, they are also crazily exppensive.
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 12:27:05 PM »
Well they aren't that bad.  With a GW they run 44 points.  The have another point of WS, 2 more points of Inititive, and another d6 pursue die over Ironguts, though the the ogres get Heavy Armor and cost another 4 points each.  Plus the Minotaur can get marked (which does haul their points way up).

Phil

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 12:39:46 PM »
Yeh, I can't say that the minotaurs were bad particularly, I liked the models... but as you say, they are all very samey in thier poses and that always puts me off anything. I like variety. If they really did do a plastic set, well it'd be a dream come true... course we'd be seeing a lot of all minotaur armies around *gulp*

Do people really like the dragon ogre models then? I just can't bring myself too even after all this time.

Philly, Maybe he meant expensive in money terms? They sure seem so to me. (another reason plastics would be groovy)

Offline The Student

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 01:25:50 PM »
I have some dragon ogres. They are not that bad but I do think that they need updating. If they updated them to look more like the shaggoth it would be good.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 01:35:38 PM »
Now that you mention it that is probably what he meant, my bad!

I snag them whenever they stay around $12 on Ebay.  Picked them up in bits and peices over the last 9 years.

The DO aren't that bad really, and since they just aren't used often I would seriously doubt we will see them redone anytime soon.

Phil

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 02:38:22 PM »
Yeh, they could be like mini shaggoths  :biggriin:

I guess maybe that's what I'll have to start doing, ebay here I come!

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 02:52:30 PM »
I am greenstuffing my DO, making it look like he has a shaggy mane (all over his lower body, so he looks more like a centigor than a OG).

Ebay really is the way to go.  I was an auction with 16 Minotaur go for only $220 last year.  It broke my heart but I was in Empire mode and spending away for them.

Phil

Offline Alexander de Wissont

• Members
  • Missing our most Eccentric member, a great man
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 03:05:20 PM »
Ebay really is the way to go.  I was an auction with 16 Minotaur go for only $220 last year.  It broke my heart but I was in Empire mode and spending away for them.

Phil
How can someone change his army mode?
Good model+Good price+Army I collect=I buy. That's so easy. :closed-eyes:
Everything in one way or another references Monty Python
Rufas the Eccentric.RIP

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 05:08:11 PM »
Well I had just purchased 5 state troop boxes, 2 boxes of metal flagellants, 2 old battalion boxes, and a helstorm missle battery (the first of three!).

I was pretty much tapped out for that month.  I still made a play (too good a deal to pass up) but once it passed $200 I was out (it had another $45 or so S&H).

Phil

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 05:40:43 PM »
Well I had just purchased 5 state troop boxes, 2 boxes of metal flagellants, 2 old battalion boxes, and a helstorm missle battery (the first of three!).

I was pretty much tapped out for that month.  I still made a play (too good a deal to pass up) but once it passed $200 I was out (it had another $45 or so S&H).

Phil

Was that in that LGS store or after?  :Ohmy:
One can many times feel when he has crossed the line in cash spent on WH.. well at least i can. I cancelled an order the other day and was tempted to put the money into more WH, but something in the back of my head told me not to. Although i might buy some flaggies in order to  make my conversion for the contest.

Oh yea Philly i was talking about their price in $ not in pts. In pts they seem fair... Well as long as my 5 knillas are able to drive 3 charging minotaurs off, i dont care about the price  :happy:
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 12:06:58 AM »
Dragon ogres are very old models, far older than the minotaurs which I class as reasonably new. :)

When I first started gaming back in 94 they were old models then...  The current minos were not released then.  I like the minotaur models, perhaps they are a little dated but still pretty nice.
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 01:49:35 AM »
It's not that I don't like them like them (minotaurs that is), maybe just that I feel some variation might be nice.

Infact I've often wished that GW would leave some minis alone but make more diffo poses for teh same kind of thing allowing more variety (which is nice for me) whilst allowing them all to fit alongside each other. Especially now that they have got some really wonderful minis out. I mean, wood elves, dark elves, heck even the beast herd, most stuff they put out now is great (most) but I'd love the variety.

I know it won't happen because people won't buy enough of them etc... but I can dream eh?

Maybe I need to get some new (well, old) minotaurs and get the old green stuff out

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2008, 01:51:25 AM »
That comment from Crimson about quite how old the DO's are...

Are they the oldest models do you reckon in the entire 'current' GW range? I can't think of anything much older which isn't kinda just around as a 'if you wanna get it...' (like the old elector counts).

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2008, 01:53:26 AM »
They have released new metal trolls in the same style as the BfSP one.

I like the current Minotaurs - well the ones with GW's anyway the ones with 2 Hand Weapons all look EXACTLY the same.

And I have seen PLENTY of people converting their Dragon Ogres using the new Plastic Ogre sprues for Torsos - however I guess is a more expensive way of doing it...

I have also thought of potentially using some Rat Ogre bodies as Minotaur bodies and add some extra bits from the plastic Beast Herd sprue, as well as some Greenstuff.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2008, 01:56:16 AM »
Yes... I've wondered about rat ogres myself... nice ideas there...

It's the 2 hand weapon ones that peave me the most really cos like you say they are all pretty much equally posed.

The great weapon ones are cool  :mrgreen:

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2008, 03:56:08 PM »
I have a Minotaur Army, led by a Doombull. Followers of Khorne they are. All with Great Weapons. Doombull has Hvy Armor, Shield, and Hellfire Sword.

They chew everything up. I made them Khorne so they would be easier for people to beat, as I find Slanesh or Nurgle Minotaurs to be a little over the top in that quantity.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 04:17:23 PM »
CannonofDoom, you really think you are doing people a favor by making them Khorne?  They are about as good as the Nurgle ones (4+AS is awesome), but far better than Slaanesh.

With the dispel dice, and the frenzy coupled with the plethora of Beastherds to block charge lanes and prevent baiting means you can run a load of minotaur and slam the enemy with combined chariot charges.  Thats how I run mine anyway.

As for Doombull equipment, HA and the Slaughterers Blade are the only way to go with me.  The S7 and 4+ to regain wounds is just too good since you cannot give him the ward save or great armor save he really needs to win at character vs character combats.

Phil

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2008, 04:40:25 PM »
Hahahaha .... beast herds.

No, I run Straight Minotaurs. Nothing to block charge lanes, so my dood get led around. I have Minotaurs for the fun factor, nothing else. If I ran beast herds and chariots and more than one character, I wouldn't run them as Khorne, I'd run them undivided like my mortal army.

And the Hellfire Sword works for me, especially to scare the bejeezus out of the local WE player and his treeman ancient. I generally only need a single wound to get through, and characters die. Only Dwarf Lords generally survive.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 04:45:22 PM »
Ahh... I run mine as an actual competitive army.  I have 5000 points worht of Beasts so I have plenty of options.

The helfire sword is great, but refused challenges and high armor saves are its bane.  The Lord only has S5 and WS6, so they don't do very well against wards and AS.

Phil

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 04:46:44 PM »
Yup, if I wanted to be competitive I would play scrabble.

With Warhammer I just try to have fun.